PaulieM

Tenderfoot
Aug 10, 2017
Phoenix
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First time poster, long time follower ... I've see posts over the last few years how some bank tellers can be very helpful. Some CRH'ers have told stories about tellers even calling them on the phone when some old CWR rolls show up. I've also seen numerous posts where a CRH'er spots a silver edge in a teller tray and the teller happily exchanges it for face value. My question is why don't these tellers keep these coins/rolls for themselves? They must know they're more valuable than face value. Are there bank policies where they are not allowed to touch anything, other than for customer business? Do these policies vary from bank to bank?

Upvote 0

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First time poster, long time follower ... I've see posts over the last few years how some bank tellers can be very helpful. Some CRH'ers have told stories about tellers even calling them on the phone when some old CWR rolls show up. I've also seen numerous posts where a CRH'er spots a silver edge in a teller tray and the teller happily exchanges it for face value. My question is why don't these tellers keep these coins/rolls for themselves? They must know they're more valuable than face value. Are there bank policies where they are not allowed to touch anything, other than for customer business? Do these policies vary from bank to bank?

That answer is simple. Not everyone is interested in silver. If people collected everything of value there wouldn't be room to walk around in their house. Most people just want to earn a living.

halfdime

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2006
Zelienople
Detector(s) used
White's XLT

Policies do vary from bank to bank. I know of one major bank that does not allow their employees to poach coins and bills. "It goes out as it comes in" is how the tellers have described the policy. At one such bank, in the last month, the teller quietly let me know that I'd like the halves she had. She knew what they were and couldn't keep them. Out of $220 face, I ended up with $151 face in silver. In other cases, the tellers simply aren't interested or don't know what a silver coin is (younguns)!

OP
OP
P

PaulieM

Tenderfoot
Aug 10, 2017
Phoenix
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice silver score, Halfdime. Guess I need to start putting on some teller charm.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread