Found silver while roll hunting, but not from the rolls.

TheWalrus

Oct 7, 2014
Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Had to go to the Dr again today, more labs, figure I will stop at branches on way back.

Few CWR of halves, nothing of note.

See our local thrift shop is doing the purge again, they fill the parking lot with furniture and such and do half off then 75% off then free.

Today was free day.

I stop and look through the ratty furniture and some of the boxes, then there is a dresser in not so bad of shape, from the front.
I start poking around and pull out the top drawer, bottom is covered in tape where something had been taped up.

I keep poking at the dresser and pull out 5 coins.

coinfind 081407.jpg
coinfind front.jpg coinfind back.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Javadroid

Silver Member
Jul 6, 2017
Northwest Arkansas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds - congrats! It's amazing how the classic Morgan makes the Ike dollars look so cheap in comparison -- and of course the true silver helps! Interesting story; thanks for sharing! :occasion14:

OP
OP
T

TheWalrus

Oct 7, 2014
Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This huge part of me really hopes that the donor, or the family of, got the rest of the stuff that was taped up, I could tell it was multiple envelopes taped by sides, this was someones hoard and savings. These few coins had lodged in the side panel when it was moved most likely.

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Love the story, maybe a hidden panel somewhere else in the dresser. Nice find.

OP
OP
T

TheWalrus

Oct 7, 2014
Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I poked at every panel drawer bottom and side and inside bit. Think I Scored All That was left. Only three times in my 40 something years have I found false bottom or concealed compartments in furniture. And they all were empty. A few times now I have found.loose coinsbehind drawers and a few envelopes of small bills.

Tommybuckets

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2015
Bodymore, Metalland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal, Safari, Garrett infinium, Whites prizm 4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I always check desks and furniture for false bottoms etc but have never found anything of value. Lots of empty cards from grandma etc. I think the employees check pretty thoroughly. They don't let anything good get by at my thrift stores.

OP
OP
T

TheWalrus

Oct 7, 2014
Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Same store today. Pocket change. Just over 2 bucks. And this taped to the side. 20171201_162042.jpg 20171201_162050.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread