Somebody's not doing their job!

halfdime

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2006
Zelienople
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
This is a MAJOR annoyance and it's happened to me several times! I open a box of halves and the first thing I see is a Bicentennial on the end of every roll. Immediately, I thought "that doesn't just happen." They were re-rolled machine rolls. Well, I start emptying and re-wrapping; there's no hope of silver but I make sure of the count and I notice that every roll is re-rolled chronologically! At one end you have one or more Bicentennials and the other end starts newest and works back to the Bicentennial end. One good way to snag a 1987, if there is one! I talked to a regional bank president and he told me that all returned coins are supposed to be dumped and counted. Somebody who's supposed to be doing that is receiving them and repacking them in a new box! I ended up with three of those boxes last week, after multiples a few months back. I thought about complaining but I hate to see a source dry up over something like that!

Upvote 0

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
When my source was Brinks, there was always the likelihood of getting repacks. With Loomis, I have never had this problem. Of course, with Loomis, I always expect short rolls. I consider it a built in fee.

As a side note, I would mess with other hunters on occasion. Out of 8K, I would save every bicentennial and purposely put them in one box. Either they would be repacked or dumped/rerolled, but the idea was to overload the ratio with bicentennials so that the next box downstream would get a nice treat.

mxh5891

Feb 27, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you want to CRH this is the type of things your going to have to let go of. Every single coin roll hunter has had or is going to have this happen to them.

OP
OP
halfdime

halfdime

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2006
Zelienople
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
If you want to CRH this is the type of things your going to have to let go of. Every single coin roll hunter has had or is going to have this happen to them.

I understand that things happen. My point is, when you get a "new" box from a bank, their own policy is that coins they receive are mechanically counted and re-wrapped. I do more than ten boxes a week so I've seen a few things. In the words of the bank president I know personally, on the subject, "We don't just take the customer's word that there are ten dollars in a roll." I expect to get others' dumps, but at least give them to me in a fresh wrapper!

Holt0222

Sep 24, 2015
Washington
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know I love to do this. Right now I am going through dollar coins trying to complete books. I pull every Susan and then place them in rolls of pure susans.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread