Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Member
Discoveries
 
Results 1 to 10 of 10
Like Tree10Likes
  • 7 Post By port ewen ace
  • 1 Post By rcs
  • 1 Post By scruggs
  • 1 Post By LooseChange

Thread: more for less:-- boxes= ZERO, teller tray= SILVA & RARE SILVA

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
  1. #1
    us
    ebay "ulster-relic"

    Dec 2012
    port ewen ny
    AT-PRO
    2,880
    5315 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Honorable Mentions (2)

    more for less:-- boxes= ZERO, teller tray= SILVA & RARE SILVA

    $5 in saved halves produce more than my last 10 boxes
    the '76-S is a silver, not silver clad

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6316.JPG 
Views:	59 
Size:	524.4 KB 
ID:	1492694
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6317.JPG 
Views:	52 
Size:	393.6 KB 
ID:	1492704

    my SBA close date inventory went from 3 to 5 last night---- glad nobody is pullin' 'em from circulation

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6331.JPG 
Views:	58 
Size:	510.8 KB 
ID:	1492699
    Last edited by port ewen ace; Sep 10, 2017 at 01:25 PM.

  2. #2

    Feb 2013
    926
    501 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    It's hard to get excited about close date SBA.

  3. #3
    us
    Jul 2017
    Texas
    bounty hunter time ranger bounty hunter quick draw 2
    934
    655 times
    Metal Detecting
    sweet silver

  4. #4
    us
    ebay "ulster-relic"

    Dec 2012
    port ewen ny
    AT-PRO
    2,880
    5315 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Honorable Mentions (2)
    Quote Originally Posted by mxh5891 View Post
    It's hard to get excited about close date SBA.
    only worth 12 to 35X face---

  5. #5
    Charter Member
    us
    Mar 2017
    Western Kentucky
    Garrett AT Pro
    142
    214 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    That bicentennial proof is sweet!
    port ewen ace likes this.
    2017 Totals
    Rosies 90
    Mercs 8
    IHC 3
    Wheats 913
    War Nickels 49
    Buffalo 19
    Silver Ike 1
    1964 Ken 15
    40% 125
    Bens 5
    Walkers 5
    Seated Half 1

  6. #6
    us
    Prospector

    Jun 2008
    Northern Alabama
    Whites
    3,644
    2080 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    What a score you made!
    port ewen ace likes this.

  7. #7

    Feb 2013
    926
    501 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by port ewen ace View Post
    only worth 12 to 35X face---
    Checked eBay and they are sold for between $4-7 bucks on average. Not really 12 to 35x face.

  8. #8
    us
    May 2011
    Kentucky
    889
    202 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by port ewen ace View Post
    $5 in saved halves produce more than my last 10 boxes
    the '76-S is a silver, not silver clad

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6316.JPG 
Views:	59 
Size:	524.4 KB 
ID:	1492694
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6317.JPG 
Views:	52 
Size:	393.6 KB 
ID:	1492704

    my SBA close date inventory went from 3 to 5 last night---- glad nobody is pullin' 'em from circulation

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6331.JPG 
Views:	58 
Size:	510.8 KB 
ID:	1492699
    All 1976S halves are either cupro-nickel or silver clad. No 90% halves were minted that year.
    "Hello from deep within the copper mines of Western Kentucky."

    "Keep your hands off of my stack."

  9. #9

    Sep 2012
    491
    307 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by usandthem View Post
    All 1976S halves are either cupro-nickel or silver clad. No 90% halves were minted that year.
    I know that PEA and UaT both know this, but for anyone thrown by UaT's comment . . .

    Explanation of cupro-nickel clad:
    The US nickel is a cupro-nickel alloy (75% Cu and 25% Ni).
    Current common Halves, Quarters, and Dimes have an internal layer of pure copper with two cupro-nickel outer layers (same 75/25 alloy as the 5cent'er). Most here know these as clads.

    Explanation of Silver clad:
    Most us silver coins were an alloy of 90% silver and 10% copper (90%'ers).
    1965-1970 Kennedy halves (and some 1976S commemoratives) were made from an 80/20 Ag/Cu internal layer with two 80/20 Cu/Ag outer layers (actually 79/21, but close enough). Those were often called clads back in the day (not to be confused with common clads which have no Ag).
    usandthem likes this.

  10. #10
    us
    ebay "ulster-relic"

    Dec 2012
    port ewen ny
    AT-PRO
    2,880
    5315 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Honorable Mentions (2)
    Quote Originally Posted by LooseChange View Post
    I know that PEA and UaT both know this, but for anyone thrown by UaT's comment . . .

    Explanation of cupro-nickel clad:
    The US nickel is a cupro-nickel alloy (75% Cu and 25% Ni).
    Current common Halves, Quarters, and Dimes have an internal layer of pure copper with two cupro-nickel outer layers (same 75/25 alloy as the 5cent'er). Most here know these as clads.

    Explanation of Silver clad:
    Most us silver coins were an alloy of 90% silver and 10% copper (90%'ers).
    1965-1970 Kennedy halves (and some 1976S commemoratives) were made from an 80/20 Ag/Cu internal layer with two 80/20 Cu/Ag outer layers (actually 79/21, but close enough). Those were often called clads back in the day (not to be confused with common clads which have no Ag).
    YUP, the '76-S is a 40% silver clad proof--- cost me FIDDY CENT from Jessica's teller tray

 

 

Remove Ads

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. Silva sppon ?
    By Xraywolf in forum Today's Finds!
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: May 03, 2017, 02:44 PM
  2. Another first! Silva!
    By Divine Profit in forum Today's Finds!
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: Apr 30, 2017, 10:15 AM
  3. first silva of 13
    By Silver Stripe in forum Coin Roll Hunting
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: Jan 06, 2013, 03:05 PM
  4. 12/31/08 silva!!!
    By treasurefiend in forum Coin Roll Hunting
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: Jan 03, 2009, 10:08 AM
  5. Replies: 13
    Last Post: Dec 24, 2008, 09:11 AM
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v4.3.0