bounty hunter quick draw 2
used a teroso compadre.
Primary Interest:
Other

mxh5891

Feb 27, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I do both. MD is what got me into CRH. I discovered CRH by using tresurenet looking for information on my metal detecting finds.

weighit

Feb 17, 2007
Northern Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX with a Big Foot coil
Gold Bug 2
Yes, I would MD hunt for hours and come home with maybe a dollar in change, also went to this site and found CRH and said wow, can find much more without getting my fingers all muddy. Switched to CRH but still go out and hunt when I can in the dirt.

OP
OP
V

Vern2

Jan 26, 2017
Leesburg Ga
Detector(s) used
Tesoro DeLeon;
Red Racer
Garrett carrot, Makro PP
Lesche shovel and knife
Killer B's head phones
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Appears my story is similar to some of you. I began my MD journey 12/28/2016.
Discovered TN in late Jan. Discovered crh about a month ago.

I've had some fair success with md, finding jewelry, a little silver, and a few wheats.

I can't say I am smitten with crh, but my grandson loves it. I think it's a great way to teach him the practice of hoarding money for the long term.

He is just 7, but it is amazing how much he already knows about coins and the meaning of their dates. He is getting quite a stash of wheats already. Today he talked me into turning the wheaties I've found with my md, over to him and his jar. He just laughed.

TwoYewts

Oct 29, 2013
NorthEast
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Fisher CZ-21, Makro Racer Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I do both. MD is what got me into CRH. I discovered CRH by using tresurenet looking for information on my metal detecting finds.

Exact same thing happened to me. Treasurenet is what opened my eyes to CRHing.

Owassokie

Jun 28, 2012
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I MD but Oklahoma is kind of tough, especially if you don't have a better detector. With the limited history of our state, most public places have been hit pretty hard. I've had better success finding modern jewelry and coins.

Greastart

Bronze Member
Dec 29, 2014
Far North Corner of CA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT Pro and a Garrett Carrot
Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Other
CRH to MD. Winters are pretty brutal in my corner of the mountains. Good time for CRH. Winter in the mountains isn't so good for MD.

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I would love to MD, but helping my son in his business, limited funds to buy a good md, and so many limited sites to work with & without a permit. I take my hat off to you gutsy MD guys doing what you do. Keep at the hobby if that's what you enjoy, for me it's CRH and stacking, also folder fillings for the grandkids.

baddbluff

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2011
vegas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been CRH on & off for 30 years. I have a md, but don't really know how to use it. CRH is much easier & seems to be more lucrative for me (if you live in Florida & comb the beaches, I'm sure you'd disagree!)

OP
OP
V

Vern2

Jan 26, 2017
Leesburg Ga
Detector(s) used
Tesoro DeLeon;
Red Racer
Garrett carrot, Makro PP
Lesche shovel and knife
Killer B's head phones
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
One thing for sure, one will find a ton more wheaties CRH, than digging in the dirt. However, one doesn't find jewelry in a CR, so I tells myself, "gotta keep digging those penny signals".

I enjoy doing both. Great hobbies for retired folks like me. Also great excuses to spend some quality time with grands.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
One thing for sure, one will find a ton more wheaties CRH, than digging in the dirt. However, one doesn't find jewelry in a CR, so I tells myself, "gotta keep digging those penny signals".

I enjoy doing both. Great hobbies for retired folks like me. Also great excuses to spend some quality time with grands.
I agree, both great hobbies. I jumped back into both about 2008. In 2010, I dug 800+ wheats. That same year, I scored 2,500+ wheats via CRH, 52+ rolls at one banking stop. Second year, 500+ wheats dug, 50 or so found CRH'ing. My average score from a box of cents averaged about a dozen.

OP
OP
V

Vern2

Jan 26, 2017
Leesburg Ga
Detector(s) used
Tesoro DeLeon;
Red Racer
Garrett carrot, Makro PP
Lesche shovel and knife
Killer B's head phones
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I agree, both great hobbies. I jumped back into both about 2008. In 2010, I dug 800+ wheats. That same year, I scored 2,500+ wheats via CRH, 52+ rolls at one banking stop. Second year, 500+ wheats dug, 50 or so found CRH'ing. My average score from a box of cents averaged about a dozen.

You dug 800+ wheats in one year? That is totally out there. You hit the jackpot when it comes to hunting grounds. I've hunted quite a bit this year, my first year, and have only 14 wheats to show for it (dug). Total crh is 22 for my first month. Wow. It would be interesting to know how many total coins you found that year. Had to be upwards 10,000 or more.
My total dug coins, as of today, is 1246, and I am pretty proud of that. If it was not for the prospect of finding jewerly, I might would consider giving up digging zinc signals.

OP
OP
V

Vern2

Jan 26, 2017
Leesburg Ga
Detector(s) used
Tesoro DeLeon;
Red Racer
Garrett carrot, Makro PP
Lesche shovel and knife
Killer B's head phones
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

You dug 800+ wheats in one year? That is totally out there. You hit the jackpot when it comes to hunting grounds. I've hunted quite a bit this year, my first year, and have only 14 wheats to show for it (dug). Total crh is 22 for my first month. Wow. It would be interesting to know how many total coins you found that year. Had to be upwards 10,000 or more.
My total dug coins, as of today, is 1246, and I am pretty proud of that. If it was not for the prospect of finding jewerly, I might would consider giving up digging zinc signals.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
Most of the spots that I cleaned up on wheats were hard-hit county parks. I also cleaned up the silver. I might have dug 1,000 coins that year. The clad and wheats just got in the way of the good stuff.

Last edited:
OP
OP
V

Vern2

Jan 26, 2017
Leesburg Ga
Detector(s) used
Tesoro DeLeon;
Red Racer
Garrett carrot, Makro PP
Lesche shovel and knife
Killer B's head phones
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So, judging by this small sample size, probably 8 out of 10 crh and md.
I am also a life long arrowhead hunter.

I believe that many men are just plain and simple "lookers, seekers, finders, and keepers".
It's just something built into our being male, our psych. Just as natural as eating.

"And so it is."

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread