Hauling out boxes

Silver Stripe

Bronze Member
Jul 8, 2007
USA
Well I've come to the stage where when I can afford 3 boxes I wanna get them- I may not want to carry them (2 is plenty for that) and I don't want to make trips in and out. Also don't want to drag in a great big cart just for a few boxes. Yesterday I took in a small suitcase with the extending handle and lil wheels- for starters you would have thought I was wearing a trench coat and ski mask. Then the poor lil thing would only hold 2 double decker boxes- good thing though cause them lil wheels..... well it made it out of the bank and to the truck without making a scene (I was thankful for that haha), but when I got home and tried to wheel it to the house the lil wheels weren't exactly rollin anymore- I knew it was too much weight for the lil plastic crap but I was desparate and it worked good long enough to get me to the truck. Anyways I been ponderin the situation and think I found a solution- not the best but... Check out this little dollie http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=93888 and they even have a handle to bolt on one here. http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=94354 Not great but small footprint and I don't intend on ever getting more than 10 or 20 boxes at a time j/k. What do yous think? I know I can make one but 4 casters costs more than $15. I got 3 boxes should be at the CU tomarrow sure would be nice to roll them out. Anyways something else to discuss. HH all, Mark

Upvote 0

LJ

Silver Member
Dec 23, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you don't want to carry multiple boxes, make multiple trips & if your going to be into this hobby for the long term....yes, get a cart.

I make multiple trips to buy and cash in. Good exercise.....ha!

Good luck & post a picture of the one you decide to go with if you choose that route.

OP
OP
Silver Stripe

Silver Stripe

Bronze Member
Jul 8, 2007
USA
I'll let ya know. We have a Harbor Freight here, I will see ifn I can swing by there tomarrow and see if I can find something. I'm gonna try to limit my frenzie to 3 boxes at a time anyways- working up to 3X a week, mostly I'll be doing two for lack of funds again till another payday or gold sale or ..... so that lil dollie might be slick enough. 3 Boxes from CU, expecting alot of silver ha, so already ordered 2 boxes for Monday from down town, may order another box from another CU branch for Monday as well. 3 boxes for the weekend will be a treat- I'm usually out and Jonsen haha. HH Mark

kestrelia

May 9, 2007
I've found one of these works well. They carry them at Lowes for $20. I had to modify it a bit with duct tape so that the smaller boxes (dimes, pennies, etc.) didn't fall through - otherwise great.

Attachments

• 646072036501.jpg
    646072036501.jpg
    19.1 KB · Views: 301

packerbacker

Gold Member
May 11, 2005
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is really a funny post. We are discussing equipment to haul half dollars out of the bank because we are buying too many to carry. Anyone else see the humor here?

Silver_Fox

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Good 'Ol USA /
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250 of course
I've seen business owners bringing in change on hand carts. When in Rome, do as the Romans do.

OP
OP
Silver Stripe

Silver Stripe

Bronze Member
Jul 8, 2007
USA
packerbacker said:
This is really a funny post. We are discussing equipment to haul half dollars out of the bank because we are buying too many to carry. Anyone else see the humor here?
I agree it is comical but how do you think OldRed gets his bags out- two at a time, I think not. I didn't want that big a cart and I got the one I posted- handle too, even on sale $5.00 off haha. I get to try it out in about an hour. Hope I don't run over anybodies toes haha. I'll get a pic later- I have to clean up to go to the bank. 3 boxes will be a good test, I'll let ya know. HH Mark

OP
OP
Silver Stripe

Silver Stripe

Bronze Member
Jul 8, 2007
USA
Re: Hauling out boxes/with pics

Alright sos I tried the cart out, not bad for the first time out. A few Gremlins of course but that was to be expected. Main drawback was the tile floor, click-click, click-click. Anyways I will only need it for 3 box trips. The flat Loomis boxes from this place are easy enough to carry two of. The double boxes from my other bank are a different story, but they have carpet and I usually have to park a distance away. I thought of a good treat for the tellers. Them chocolate coins, Monday when I go down town I will send some down to the vault too- maybe I will get an invitation next time haha. Anyways here's a pic or two of the rig loaded back at home. HH all, Mark
DSCN1034.jpg

DSCN1035_edited.jpg

GMan00001

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2006
Twin Cities, MN
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well if you want to take it to the next level, why not retrofit your minivan (car?) with one of those wheelchair lifts so you can just roll your coins to the platform on the dolly and let the lift get them in the car for you. When you get to the bank you can use the same lift to get them out and just roll them away. That way you would only need to load and unload the dolly once instead of twice.

Myself, I just carry everything in and out or borrow the banks cart (only done it a few times).

soldierman

May 18, 2006
lejeuene said:

I belive the buying part but when you keep half of what you buy shouldn't the cashing in be light enough to make one trip. ;)

Phillip_in_NM

Jul 15, 2006
Land of Enchantment
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, White's M6, Nokta Legend, Minelab Equinox 800, Nokta Simplex+
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think you'll regret it unless you get the handle. We have one of the dollies like the one at Harbor Freight (we call it a piano mover's dolly). It's liable to dump your load over every crack in the sidewalk or door threshhold. Never tried one with a handle, but would think that would make all the difference.

GMan00001

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2006
Twin Cities, MN
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
soldierman said:
lejeuene said:

I belive the buying part but when you keep half of what you buy shouldn't the cashing in be light enough to make one trip. ;)

I wish half of what I searched were keepers, though I couldn't search much without selling.

Across all denominations, I only end up keeping around 1.5%.
Pennies - 2%
Nickels - 2.6%
Dimes - 0.19%
Quarters - 0.1%
Halves - 1.2%
Ike Dollars - 100%
SBA/SAC/Pres - 0.3%

This includes all Canadian and foreign coins as well as everything else. About 50% of my keepers are the low mintage recent pennies and nickels which I sometimes debate about keeping, but have to this point. And about 20% of my keepers are Canadian. If I dropped the recent Canadian as well as the low mintage recent pennies and nickels I would be at only about a 0.5% keeper rate.

tw656

Jan 13, 2007
I would also be concerned with rolling a couple grand of coins around outside. Where I live that would be the same as walking around with a large wad of cash in your hand. Some areas may be relatively safe at the bank parking lot some not. Not too sure about my neighborhood. Theres a reason the armored car drivers carry guns. If someone picked up 3 grand at the same bank on the same day every week, and is rolling them around on a dolly,someone is going to notice. Id mix up the days and times. Maybe bring a friend with you when picking them up. Maybe take different routes home. Maybe where you live thats paranoid, where I live it is not.

soldierman

May 18, 2006
GMan00001 said:
soldierman said:
lejeuene said:

I wish half of what I searched were keepers, though I couldn't search much without selling.

Across all denominations, I only end up keeping around 1.5%.
Pennies - 2%
Nickels - 2.6%
Dimes - 0.19%
Quarters - 0.1%
Halves - 1.2%
Ike Dollars - 100%
SBA/SAC/Pres - 0.3%

This includes all Canadian and foreign coins as well as everything else. About 50% of my keepers are the low mintage recent pennies and nickels which I sometimes debate about keeping, but have to this point. And about 20% of my keepers are Canadian. If I dropped the recent Canadian as well as the low mintage recent pennies and nickels I would be at only about a 0.5% keeper rate.

Gman it was a little joke about the ammount of silver LJ pulls.

GMan00001

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2006
Twin Cities, MN
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
soldierman said:
Gman it was a little joke about the ammount of silver LJ pulls.

I saw that. But the comment got me wondering how much I did keep, so I checked it out and decided to share. :)

OP
OP
Silver Stripe

Silver Stripe

Bronze Member
Jul 8, 2007
USA
tw656 said:
I would also be concerned with rolling a couple grand of coins around outside. Where I live that would be the same as walking around with a large wad of cash in your hand. Some areas may be relatively safe at the bank parking lot some not. Not too sure about my neighborhood. Theres a reason the armored car drivers carry guns. If someone picked up 3 grand at the same bank on the same day every week, and is rolling them around on a dolly,someone is going to notice. Id mix up the days and times. Maybe bring a friend with you when picking them up. Maybe take different routes home. Maybe where you live thats paranoid, where I live it is not.
Duely noted. I think I will stick with walking out with one grand in my grubby lil hands LOL- just have to make daily orders and pickups and dumps, this is becoming a time consuming hobby haha. Awell not like I have anything better to do after work anyways. Seems everybody gets coin delivered the same 3 days a week- M/W/F. The downtown bank I use once a week has an actual walkin vault so I could pickup from them on an off day- the CU is another story, I have seen them pull my boxes out of a save not much bigger than a short file cabinet so I need to pick those up immediately. My dump bank has branches all over town and I have been to them all- some I won't go back to, would need to deposit and then go to a nicer part of town and make a withdrawal- not so bad usin the change machine but gettin the cash- I was eyed once in particular by some crackheads, fortunately they didn't feel prepared to jump me outside or maybe it was the cop car parked in the next parking lot. Safety first- always. HH all, Mark

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread