Detector(s) used
Tesoro DeLeon;
Red Racer
Garrett carrot, Makro PP
Lesche shovel and knife
Killer B's head phones
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I just started PRH about 40 days ago, give or take a few. Here are some results that someone other than myself may find interesting:

1st $50.00 bag (100 rolls & 5,000 p): 510 coppers; 10 wheats; 4 foreign; 1 clad dime.

2nd $50.00 bag: 750 coppers; 7 wheats; 6 foreign; 0 dimes.

$30.00-- 60 rolls of machine and hand rolls (3,000 pennies): 479 coppers; 13 wheats; 5 foreign; 6 clad dimes.

So, this tells me that, for this small and beginning sample size, rolled coins produce better results than the $50 bags.
Bags gave me an average of 1 wheat every 500 pennies, or every 10 rolls.
Rolled pennies gave me an 1 wheat every 4.5 rolls.

But what I liked about the rolled pennies were the number of dimes. Granted, all were clad, but one has to believe that silver is there waiting to be discovered.

Another interesting statistic: For every 2.5 rolls, I found either a wheat, foreign, or dime.

In the rolled coins, I also found a 1971s, with a mason symbol stamped or engraved on the front. My coin value book tells me it's worth .75, but saw a few selling on ebay for $2.00 with free shipping.

So, for you long time PRHunters, would you say my results are: Poor; below average? average? above average? out of this world?

Upvote 0

gravityrules

Feb 20, 2012
TX
Detector(s) used
Whites M6, Fisher F5, Fisher 1265-X, Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your sample size may still be too small for meaningful conclusions and CRH seems to be the definition of 'random'.

There's a post about results for half a million cents, the wheat cent find rate was .0033 which would come out to about 43 for the 13K you have searched ... so your find rate is lower than that example, but still within range of what might be called 'typical'. You just never know when you'll make a find that significantly changes your averages.

OP
OP
V

Vern2

Jan 26, 2017
Leesburg Ga
Detector(s) used
Tesoro DeLeon;
Red Racer
Garrett carrot, Makro PP
Lesche shovel and knife
Killer B's head phones
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Your sample size may still be too small for meaningful conclusions and CRH seems to be the definition of 'random'.

There's a post about results for half a million cents, the wheat cent find rate was .0033 which would come out to about 43 for the 13K you have searched ... so your find rate is lower than that example, but still within range of what might be called 'typical'. You just never know when you'll make a find that significantly changes your averages.

That makes sense. Thank you.

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I would say your numbers are average. When I get a box of cents, about 8-12 Wheaties, 12-15% coppers. Go both ways if you can, for in a bag you JUST MIGHT hit a very old cent collection dump long before it gets dissolved into many mixed rolls over several boxes.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread