First timer finding silver!!

infectious208

Aug 17, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So I decided to finally take a stab at doing some coin roll hunting. I stopped at 5 banks within 2 miles of my work on my lunch break. Struck out on the first 1. The 2nd had just a couple dollars in loose halves. Grabbed them all. 3rd had $140 worth of rolled halves. Again grabbed them all. 4th bank had nothing and the 5th bank had $9.50 in loose halves.

Got back to my office and decided to run through a few rolls and the loose ones. There were 2 different wrappers on the rolls. I'm 99% sure the one there was more of was someones dump. A lot of the coins had a black sharpie mark on them. I also found nothing in any of those rolls. The other wrapper one I only went through one of so far and I found 1 silver!!! The others i got were from the loose ones in the teller trays. :)

So far I have gone through just under half of what I picked up today and I found 3 40% and a 1981 S Proof. Cant wait to get home and go through the rest of them with the wife. This could be a very fun hobby to add to my list of many others. :) KIMG0140.JPG

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Phishfindr

Bronze Member
Apr 7, 2017
NEW ENGLAND
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett Pro Pointer AT Z-Lynk, Lesche digging tools, Pack Mule finds bag by Freeloader.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
OP
OP
I

infectious208

Aug 17, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I believe after a little more research that the 1981 proof is also a type 2 making it worth about 3 times what a type 1 is. It has a very defined S mark rather than a filled in look. This is fun. haha

BuffaloHunter

Jun 26, 2017
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600. Garrett ProPointer.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice find! From what I can tell from the photos, it’s a Type 2. It’s worth about $13.00 on eBay.

OP
OP
I

infectious208

Aug 17, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That was about what I figured BuffaloHunter. Thanks for the input. Sadly got home and went through all the rest of them and there was nothing else of value. I'm pretty sure the rolls were all someones dump. Owell. Part of the hunt.

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Hate to say it, but, YOUR HOOKED on CRH, good luck and keep stacking.

weighit

Feb 17, 2007
Northern Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX with a Big Foot coil
Gold Bug 2
I get 2 boxes a week and every other week I spend a few hours hitting the local banks asking for halves. Your finds were a good start and I expect to see more of your finds on this web site soon. Always ask, you never know what you might get.

Johnnybravo300

Bronze Member
Jan 3, 2016
South of Gunnison, Gold Basin
Detector(s) used
F2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Same here. I went through an entire box and nothing. Lots of sharpie marks and 1971's. Lots of bicentennial too. No silver.
I picked up three loose rolls awhile back and got my first 40 percenter...68 I think. I ask everywhere I go now.

OP
OP
I

infectious208

Aug 17, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Same here. I went through an entire box and nothing. Lots of sharpie marks and 1971's. Lots of bicentennial too. No silver.
I picked up three loose rolls awhile back and got my first 40 percenter...68 I think. I ask everywhere I go now.

Haha. Same here. I had a LOT of bicentennial and 1971's. My step son who is autistic and helped me go through some of the rolls kept saying he was getting trolled by all the 71's since they were so close to 70. haha

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread