enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Damage. Appears to have been carried in someone's pocket for some time!

gravityrules

Feb 20, 2012
TX
Detector(s) used
Whites M6, Fisher F5, Fisher 1265-X, Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Post mint wear on both sides is concentrated in the center of the coin, agree that it's not the typical circulation wear pattern.
Is the reeded edge still intact or is it almost smooth?
I've wondered what causes the excessive edge wear seen on many halves. Perhaps slot machine use?

Twitch

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2010
Missouri
Fairlane - the reverse is a struck-through-grease error. Beyond the error the coin obviously has a good bitt of wear and tear on it. Struck through grease errors are fairly common particularly in the early '80's. I keep them whenever I find a nice one but they're not particularly valuable unless the distortion of the original image is substantial. I also believe they have to be in top condition (MS-ish) in order to have a premium. Nice find.

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fairlane - the reverse is a struck-through-grease error. Beyond the error the coin obviously has a good bitt of wear and tear on it. Struck through grease errors are fairly common particularly in the early '80's. I keep them whenever I find a nice one but they're not particularly valuable unless the distortion of the original image is substantial. I also believe they have to be in top condition (MS-ish) in order to have a premium. Nice find.

I don't believe so. Considering the wear on the obverse and being on all the highest spots on reverse, this can only be wear.

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Plus add to that strike through coins usually have less of the design due to being down into the design. I would expect some of the design to show along with the grease area.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread