Novelty Half

gravityrules

Feb 20, 2012
TX
Detector(s) used
Whites M6, Fisher F5, Fisher 1265-X, Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Only found 4 NIFCs out of 30 MWR including a seldom seem 1987P (they were only produced for Mint sets) along with this gold plated 1974 novelty piece counterstamped on the obverse with an image of Lincoln on the left side and the dual dates 1964 1984 on the right. The gold rim stood out among all the other clad in that roll!

Any ideas why this coin was produced (obviously not by the mint) and why those dates on a 1974 coin?

Attachments

• DSC00428.JPG
    DSC00428.JPG
    506.6 KB · Views: 88
  • DSC00432.JPG
    DSC00432.JPG
    407.4 KB · Views: 74
Upvote 0

GB1

Gold Member
Jul 12, 2017
East TX
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknectics eurotek pro
bounty hunter time ranger
bounty hunter quick draw 2
used a teroso compadre.
Primary Interest:
Other
i like sweet

Obsessive

Apr 16, 2017
NW Portland, OR
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/MI-6 w/ HF/XF/LF
Tesoro Cibola / Land and Sea pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Something to do with the legend of similarities between the Lincoln and Kennedy assassinations, I think. Seems like I recall seeing these somewhere...

Found this on the internet:

these were thinly gold plated and stamped with the extra effigy after they left the mint for sale as souvenirs by people or companies trying to making a quick buck. They are worth whatever someone is willing to pay for them and have no real collector value as an original coin.
Cents were also stamped after they left the mint by people or businesses that sold them for $1 as souvenirs. Many feature John F. Kennedy, Abraham Lincoln, the Moon landing or a U.S. state outline. They have value only as curiosities and are worth a dollar at best depending on amount of wear and collector demand.

Last edited:

Scott W

Feb 7, 2011
I remember looking forward to getting the Johnston Smith catalog in the mail when I was a kid.
Among the whoppie cushions, x ray glasses and joy buzzers were stamped coins such as these.
I remember mostly Lincoln cents stamped with JFK, but there were other stamps, such as a pipe smoking pig.
I vaguely remember gold plated half dollar coins in the catalogs, but the price was way out of my league. How could a 10 year old afford something like that in 1968?!!

OP
OP
G

gravityrules

Feb 20, 2012
TX
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found another post with a link to an ad for these 'back in the day' offering these for $5.99 each.
At least this 'collectible' has a minimum 'market' value of 50 cents, better value retention than some things privately sold as commemoratives.

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/coins/315096-gold-plated-kennedy-half.html

There are still people making 'new' novelty coins, I have seen some of the state quarters with colorized design elements.

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Very cool find. I really like altered coins.

This one found it's way under my coil.

Attachments

• IMG_20170305_093043.jpg
    IMG_20170305_093043.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 55

GB1

Gold Member
Jul 12, 2017
East TX
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknectics eurotek pro
used a teroso compadre.
Primary Interest:
Other
i found a penny with the sate of Rhode island on it

OP
OP
G

gravityrules

Feb 20, 2012
TX
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After finding our first gold plated and counterstamped half last week, we found 2 more gold plated but not counterstamped Kennedys this week.
As several have said these coins are not that uncommon.
But it demonstrates the randomness of CRH'ing in that we've been through maybe 10,000 coins before seeing our first one, and then less than a week later find 2 more.

GB1

Gold Member
Jul 12, 2017
East TX
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknectics eurotek pro
used a teroso compadre.
Primary Interest:
Other
OP
OP
G

gravityrules

Feb 20, 2012
TX
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After finding our first gold plated and counterstamped half last week, we found 2 more gold plated but not counterstamped Kennedys this week.
As several have said these coins are not that uncommon.
But it demonstrates the randomness of CRH'ing in that we've been through maybe 10,000 coins before seeing our first one, and then less than a week later find 2 more.

Next 35 MWR yielded 27 more gold plated Kennedy halves with a mix of dates.
2 of the plated halves were coins with just about all of the edge reeding worn off but edge plating intact. Don't understand someone plating worn out coins!

All of these rolls had the paper wrapper cut lengthwise but still intact as a roll.
I don't know if that was done by a CRHer for edge checking without removing the coins or by the bank to check something brought in by a customer.
Also found 10 NIFCs, no silver.
A strange dump ...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread