Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
I would circle like a buzzard, awaiting my chance to swoop in!

TxAg

May 7, 2017
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If she wasn't finished dumping, I would have politely interrupted her, explained I was a collector, and asked if I could buy the remaining coins from her. If she declined, I would have offered 2x face value on the off chance that she "might have some coins I was missing in my collection". Or, maybe my conscience would take over and I would tell her she's dumping silver coins worth much more than face value! LOL, not sure what I would do.....

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would tell her I'd give her more than face value because some are silver and let it go at that.

OP
OP
T

TheWalrus

Oct 7, 2014
Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Grocery store coin conversion machine. Like coinstar, serviced by Loomis Tampa sort facility and it took almost 50 bucks worth before I got there.

Greastart

Bronze Member
Dec 29, 2014
Far North Corner of CA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT Pro and a Garrett Carrot
Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Other
Older woman dumping a mayo jar into coinstar almost all visible coins are all bright white rims or visible Standing Liberty quarters. What would you do. Keeping in mind that This machine is serviced and cannot buy the coins from the business.

A better question would be what did YOU do? Followed by What'd you end up with? Finished with well.....where's the pics?

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have found silver dimes in the coinstar reject area, so that much is true . If you had time to notice white rims ,and Standing Liberty quarters , It seems rational to think that you could have suggested a buying opportunity that was amenable to both of you .

Blkcloud

Apr 9, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A buddy of mine bought 30 silver dollars from a lady who was about to dump them in a coinstar back earlier this year..

Tommybuckets

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2015
Bodymore, Metalland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal, Safari, Garrett infinium, Whites prizm 4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I do what most would do and offer to buy the remaining coins. Coinstar will eat most silver if you keep putting it through again and again and the off brand machines are even less picky. I have had people get weird and not want to do it and accidentally bought a "copy" of a seated liberty half dollar because I didn't get a look at it until the money was exchanged ($5) . What did you do? How did you do?

OP
OP
T

TheWalrus

Oct 7, 2014
Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The machine was rejecting most and she kept just trying to put them back, You could tell she was frustrated and about in tears trying. I politely introduced myself and told her the old coins give the machines a very hard time and that they are worth more than face value. She told me she tried to take them to her bank at Bank of America and they would not take them unless she rolled them all and then they gave her a stack of wrappers. Again I told her they are worth more than face value and I would pay her more than the machine would. My bank is in the parking lot here and we could walk there and I would give her cash. I looked at the jar and guessed that more than 1/2 the contents were silver. She then tells me that her husband had tried to take them to a coin store a few years ago and they did not offer much and he just kept them but now they needed the money to send for family medical bills. On a fast judgement call I offered her one dollar a coin for what was left in the jar. She said oh my god, yes, and started praying to Mary and Joseph. She called her husband as we walked and I could hear him talking he could not believe that someone would pay that for the coins.Scooped up what had not been fed in, had her take the slip to get cash for what had managed to go through and we walked to the bank. At the bank I asked to use a transaction booth and we sat, counted each coin and came to a total of 448 total. She was praising god and going on at length, calling her husband back telling him how much I gave her and asked me to walk her back to the store.
1 1965 canadian
11 nodate standing liberty
4 common date worn standing liberty
181 washington dates from 1934
74 bicentennial
170 late 1960's washington
7 1970's canadian

OP
OP
T

TheWalrus

Oct 7, 2014
Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The store uses Loomis cash services in Tampa, so there's about 50 bucks with potentially a lot of silver going to the sort and roll facility. I know people who work inthe front office and they cannot sell bags, even if the store is out of change they are not permitted to open the machine.

GlenDronach

Bronze Member
Aug 21, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I once heard the clink in the machine and (abruptly and probably rudely, in retrospect) shouted "WAIT! I WANT THOSE" and stuck my hand in the coin machine as it was spinning. I counted out probably $3 face value of quarters and gave the guy what I had in my wallet, $20 or so. I made it very plain, I showed him what I took and made an offer of about 6x face which he agreed to.

He then stood in line with the rest of his receipt, looking at the $20, looking back at me with a confused face (why is he paying me more? Should I have not dumped the other ones?). I left, went to another bank to dump, picked up some quarters, went to a store and bought a bag of candy and convinced the bank to open the machine up and under monitoring of staff replace some of his silver quarters with my clad out of the bag. I got probably 20 or so quarters that day.

First and only time I was quick enough!

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm afraid you lost big on that deal. Late 60's quarters are worth face along with the 70's Canadians and the bicentennial quarters.

infectious208

Aug 17, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm afraid you lost big on that deal. Late 60's quarters are worth face along with the 70's Canadians and the bicentennial quarters.

I don't think he lost anything in the deal. The 181 1934 + Washington quarters alone are worth around $550 in melt value as long as they aren't newer than 64 (I would assume this is correct as he listed the additional newer quarters). The face value of the newer than 64 quarters and bi-centennial's is $61 + whatever else he has (didn't calculate the others) I wouldn't say he struck it big (maybe if he had gotten them all) but he certainly didn't lose any money as just on those 2 he is at nearly $600 in value for a $450 cost. I would take that profit any day.

Last edited:

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
He didn't lose. He gave money to someone that needed it more than He.

OP
OP
T

TheWalrus

Oct 7, 2014
Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No huge profit made,, still enough for me to pay some bills as well, some nice coins below melt value. Still got some 30's and 40's we did not have and a few of the clad for the book in au condition as well Keeping those and will take the rest to the LCS I deal with

FormerTeller

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
You did the right thing. I've been in that situation a couple of times, and always try to make a fair offer. Occasionally it pays off and in one case the guy I helped called me back and sold me the rest of his late wife's collection.

OP
OP
T

TheWalrus

Oct 7, 2014
Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Final result, put 18 silver quarters (2 standing liberty and 16 Washington including a nice 1934-s)in the book, either ones I did not have or were just so much better condition than the placeholders. 11 clad washington in the book, 2 I did not have other 9 were again better condition.

After LCS paid me and the clad I rolled and deposited made $94.25 on the overall deal. Plus she called me and wants me to look at the rest of what they have sometime in the coming weeks, so not counting chickens or holding breath but we shall see.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread