Stopped at some banks looking for coin today, 1 loose bag, and a Lying teller?

Silver Saver

Mar 15, 2017
Center of North America
Detector(s) used
Etrac- Sunray x5, x8, x12. Garrett Carrot.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Was able to get a $440 bag of loose halves today, and you know how the temptation is, starting checking some handfuls in my car and seen a few 40% and one bicentennial silver so that's awesome. Can't wait to search the thing.

I also asked 2 banks if they would sell me the halves off their machine when full and both said yes so that's nice too.

Then at one bank I asked for halves and the old lady teller asked if I was looking for silver and I said yes, and she said there is no silver in these rolls. The rolls are the black and white machine wrapped and she said they come from the courier, so idk how she could say with certainty they have no silver. Maybe there is something I'm missing and could be wrong though. I said I would try anyway since there are other things to look for. She let me have $100, and one of the last things she said was "There are hardly ever silver in those rolls" which is slightly different from her first statement of there being none. I think she was just trying to dissuade me from getting them, for whatever reason.

Sorry just stories and no results right now lol. I just like to share with my fellow crhs!

Upvote 0

Bad Wolf

Dec 6, 2012
Carmel-by-the-Sea, California
Detector(s) used
Nokia Simplex+
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looking forward to the pics of all the silver that you find! Wondering, though, if you are on the East Coast? Here on the West side, Bank of America will only except $100 in change per day when it comes to getting rid of all the clad and no automatic coin machines, which makes the problem very cumbersome, not to mention time consuming. Glad that your situation is better. And don’t forget to send those pics![emoji41]

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The way to handle that is just to buy anything and everything that you can afford to buy , and that you are interested in buying . The teller in this situation ,has no more knowledge of what is in those rolls than you do - unless she rolled them herself ! I look forward to seeing what you get out of the bag !

Last edited:

Zomotion

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2013
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, coinmaster Gt Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If i believed what every teller has told me I'd have quit the hobby years ago :)

Here's a tip: go back to that bank with a couple of 40%ers and a box of cookies. Show her what you "found" and tell her thank you for selling those rolls to you and you brought the tellers some cookies as a thank you. You already know that she looks out for silver... Maybe she'll throw you a bone one day.

And if she's a grump, the other tellers are already sick of her I bet, so they'll save you a few goodies for sure

OP
OP
Silver Saver

Silver Saver

Mar 15, 2017
Center of North America
Detector(s) used
Etrac- Sunray x5, x8, x12. Garrett Carrot.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If i believed what every teller has told me I'd have quit the hobby years ago :)

Here's a tip: go back to that bank with a couple of 40%ers and a box of cookies. Show her what you "found" and tell her thank you for selling those rolls to you and you brought the tellers some cookies as a thank you. You already know that she looks out for silver... Maybe she'll throw you a bone one day.

And if she's a grump, the other tellers are already sick of her I bet, so they'll save you a few goodies for sure

True that about the tellers lol. Every situation seems to be different just based on the one you talk to. I just started crh, but have been to most banks in the area over the last couple weeks and a majority of the tellers have been very nice and helpful. Even in a situation like that one I just asked a few questions like if they were rolled at the bank and what not just to gain a little more info. But I still don't push it and stay respectful and nice so the encounter stays positive and I was still appreciative of what she gave me and thanked her for the info too.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread