So Disappointed!!!

66Fairlane

Jul 29, 2012
Went to another location for my dump branch. Filled up their halves bag and when the lady was charging out the bag she mentioned people always come in and dump silvers. I ask if I can take a peak at the bag and low and behold the entire bottom of the bag was filled with 40%ers. Of course I asked if I could buy the bag and she said no it was against policy and she would get in trouble. I begged and pleaded to no avail. It was the hardest thing for me to do to walk out of that bank. I even asked to speak to the manager which she said wasn't in on the weekends.

Upvote 0

goldencoin

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2005
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX & Beach Hunter ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Offer to trade halves out of the bag, I've done that before with banks that won't sell the bag. Make sure to bring enough halfs to fill the bag and trade out.
-GC

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Explain why it would benefit the bank by not having to pay the coin vendor to pick up bag, nor to order boxes. I've made same arrangement with the one bank in my area that sells me dime bags, (I don't order boxes of dimes, nor do I dump dimes), but they sell me their filled dime bags.

Tommybuckets

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2015
Bodymore, Metalland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal, Safari, Garrett infinium, Whites prizm 4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Many banks in my area just won't consider it. I never see silver in there but I look hard lol

mxh5891

Feb 27, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like that bank employee is buying the bag herself. She even told you about people bringing in silver. So she knows about silver coins and may just be sniping it herself. I know I would be if I worked at a bank.

Silver Saver

Mar 15, 2017
Center of North America
Detector(s) used
Etrac- Sunray x5, x8, x12. Garrett Carrot.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That would be super dissapointing to walk away from! I would plead too, making all the points and offers everyone has mentioned. I really hope you are able to get that bag. But if not that just means some more silver in circulation for us other crhs ;) Idk what your wife's experience is for these crh situations, but maybe it would be more beneficial if you could call the manager and then your wife pick up. And if that manager says no, maybe you could try talking to the manager above that manager if there is one. Not exactly sure what the top managers title would be, regional manager maybe? Good luck

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I attempted to buy a bag off a credit union coin counter a few months back , they gave the rap about the bag belonging to the courier service once they audited it. If you want to avoid disappointment in the future , expect nothing from anyone ! I'm not saying abandon hope - continue to ask for what you want ,just don't expect anything !

OP
OP

66Fairlane

Jul 29, 2012
I attempted to buy a bag off a credit union coin counter a few months back , they gave the rap about the bag belonging to the courier service once they audited it. If you want to avoid disappointment in the future , expect nothing from anyone ! I'm not saying abandon hope - continue to ask for what you want ,just don't expect anything !

So....the answer was still no....whole thing still makes me sick.

Goldmedalexchange

Aug 31, 2012
St Louis
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Has anyone ever tried buying a "known to contain a decent amount of silver" bag for a premium? Maybe take a stab at how much you saw in there and offer them say 25% of your estimate to entice a stubborn manager or to make it a bit more worth their while.

mark1982

Mar 24, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Offer to trade halves out of the bag, I've done that before with banks that won't sell the bag. Make sure to bring enough halfs to fill the bag and trade out.
-GC

This! I have done this a few times. Just say i will really quickly take the halves out I want and then how ever many I take I will replace with these. There's no difference as far as counts go. Just don't be picky. If you see 90s grab them first but don't take forever. I was able to pull about 40 silvers from a bag one time
In about 2 min and I saw others but didn't want to push it.

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe take a stab at how much you saw in there and offer them say 25% of your estimate to entice a stubborn manager or to make it a bit

This is a bank, not a coin store, they can not sell for more than face value.

I once belonged to a credit union. They would sell me all the bags I wanted. I once had to borrow one of their vault carts to haul all of the bags I was able to buy one day.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread