cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What a waste of time to write that on a coin. I can only assume "P" wrote that on every half he/she went through. Good thing to know it took 11 years for that coin to get back in circulation.

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What a waste of time to write that on a coin. I can only assume "P" wrote that on every half he/she went through. Good thing to know it took 11 years for that coin to get back in circulation.

Doesn't necessarily mean it's been out of circulation that long.

LooseChange

Sep 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
... Good thing to know it took 11 years for that coin to get back in circulation.

Doesn't necessarily mean it's been out of circulation that long.

8/06 doesn't necessarily mean August 2006. Might be August 6th of any year - 1972 or later.

Or, it might mean something else entirely (ie 8th roll of the 6th box). Any way around it's kinda dumb to mark coins!

Vdubguy

Jul 31, 2013
Central PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 (current detector)
Garrett Pro Pointer
Garrett AT Pro (first detector, no longer have)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I marked a few coins a few years ago. My ONLY intention was to see if I would ever see them again. I did this when I lived in VA. 3.5 years later, while living back in PA, one of my marked coins showed up. I kept it just because it’s the first ones I’ve found that I marked. I do not mark coins to know if I’d gone through them before. Just did it to see how long it would take and where I would ever see one of these coins again. The dozen coins I marked were in absolutely terrible shape, not coins anyone would consider holding onto.

I always get a laugh when I find a BuffaloBoy coin, I show my wife and explain that it’s another hunter from the “treasure” forum I’m a member of, I just get an eye roll and a “that’s nice”, hahaha.

HH

Vdubguy

mark1982

Mar 24, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

That coin has probably been in and out of circulation 30 times since 2006.

mxh5891

Feb 27, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If people want to mark coins, then who cares. Is it dumb yes, but people do dumb things everyday.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread