Chase bank is no longer accepting coin???? I call BS

dreamboxvip

May 1, 2014
So, I've been dumping halves at several chase banks in my area over the last five years with very minimal problems(typical issues were that they don't have space which i would just go elsewhere) . I always spread my coins out never dumping more than 2,000 at any branch more than once every two weeks nor do I order anything from them. Last week when I came into one branch they tell me they are no longer accepting coin from me. Upon further investigation the manager at this branch informed me that a company wide email was sent out to no longer take coins. I asked about opening a business account and was told no and that no matter what they just couldn't handle it basically they are lazy is what I gathered from the conversation :BangHead:.Being a normal coin roll hunter that I am I decided to take a 120 mile road trip from my house to a different location and they denied taking my coins there too!!:BangHead: I called customer service, big LOL there.. they told me that chase policy is to accept coin no matter what account with any volume but for some reason they don't want to do that. The "managers" i've spoke with in the customer service department have no idea who I need to get ahold of to find out how a regional manager can decide to not follow chase banking polices. Is anyone else dumping at chase bank running into this problem?? if so who can I talk to or who have you spoke with?

Upvote 0

WaterScoop

Bronze Member
Sep 12, 2017
SW Washington
Detector(s) used
Nox 800,
CTX 3030,
XP DEUS,
Excalibur II
Garrett AT Max,
Whites DFX,
Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cashless digital system - 1
Coins / Cash - 0

It started a long time ago. Reality is now here.

Sorry for your troubles. CB47F08D-0FE5-45FB-9F9E-3FFFC42226D0.jpeg

LooseChange

Sep 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is disappointing for sure.

Unfortunately for all of us, banks TOLERATE this hobby at their pleasure. They have every right to deny any service that they choose - so long as it is not for one of the protected classifications (ie: race, religion, etc). If I was in charge, I would refuse to cater to CRH'ers - because it is bad business.

As tempting as it is, I would suggest not making a big stink over it. In the long run, that can only hurt the hobby for everyone.

FormerTeller

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
I always spread my coins out never dumping more than 2,000 at any branch more than once every two weeks

You were dumping up to 4 boxes of rolled halves every couple of weeks, and at multiple branches? No offense, but I'm not surprised you got cut off. My guess is you can argue till you're blue in the face, but no way are they gonna let you dump there again. Absolute best you can hope for is for them to let you do one more dump to get rid of the coins you already have - extremely unlikely in my opinion. Absolute worst case is you keep making noise and they close your accounts. I can assure you it's been done before to other members of this forum.

Recommend you cut back on your orders until you find a new dumping ground, and to go slow with them. I had to go through the same situation earlier this year. It sucks, but it's occasionally part of the hobby.

Good luck!

infectious208

Aug 17, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not sure what part of the country you are in but if this is a company wide policy, it hasn't been implemented in Idaho yet. I just took around $400 in halves to my local Chase branch on Friday and had no problem dumping them. I don't dump multiple times a week but each time I go in, they simply ask if I want cash or it deposited to my account.

goldenwonderbear

Feb 27, 2014
CA.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Chase: 4 years ago when I had a Ryedale or two running every evening, I went into the Chase in my neighborhood to open an acct. ($1000). the lady in New accts asked what I wanted to do w/ the money I was depositing. I said nothing, just safe keeping, and I might ask the teller if she has some rolls of pennies customers have brought in. She waited about 2 seconds and said "no". I said what? and she said "we don't want your business". I asked again and she said the same. I left. I guess as long as the Govt. gives them money whenever they are short, no need for customers. ..............b

mountainman 2

Bronze Member
Aug 9, 2006
Extreme Northern NJ
Detector(s) used
whites classic sl,whites surfmaster,garrett ATX,minelab vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't dump at chase but i do buy coin there. I'm still getting CWR there. I'm in the Northeast.

SlowSilver

Aug 2, 2011
Los Angeles
Here in Los Angeles, as of a couple of months ago, none of the Chase banks will order Half Dollars anymore. All of the branches I have gone to have told me the same story. They are out of half dollars and are waiting on the Fed to send more. But follow up attempts have resulted in being told the same story. There is no way they are out of Half Dollars. They just won't let anybody order them. I haven't had any trouble depositing at Chase yet though.

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
This is one of the main reasons that I DONT DO HALVES. I have no trouble with dimes. Buy sell dump rolls etc., no problem with the banks, including Chase.

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I believe it was simply the OP that got cut off, not everyone in general.

Zomotion

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2013
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, coinmaster Gt Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That sucks dreamboxvip. Sorry you got cut off. I've been cut off for way less. $2k is quite a bit... But it sounds like you do a lot more than that, just you spread out the dumps. Branches talk, they are all part of districts or areas I believe. So if you're dumping at just one bank (although many branches) I'm not surprised they implemented a policy.

What is your weekly volume overall?

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's best no to take a dump in the same place you eat, eventually you'll stink the place up. Box dumping 101.

OP
OP
D

dreamboxvip

May 1, 2014
That sucks dreamboxvip. Sorry you got cut off. I've been cut off for way less. $2k is quite a bit... But it sounds like you do a lot more than that, just you spread out the dumps. Branches talk, they are all part of districts or areas I believe. So if you're dumping at just one bank (although many branches) I'm not surprised they implemented a policy.

What is your weekly volume overall?

8 boxes since my order bank started charging 7.50 per box. I would rotate 2,000 between about 15 different branches each month.. visiting different locations. You are right though. They definitely talk but I think it's more of them just being lazy and not wanting to deal with coins more than anything.

OP
OP
D

dreamboxvip

May 1, 2014
If it were a small credit union I could understand more why they wouldn't want to handle it or couldn't.. they have far less money and resources vs the richest bank in the world with over a 3 trillion dollar net worth.

OP
OP
D

dreamboxvip

May 1, 2014
This is one of the main reasons that I DONT DO HALVES. I have no trouble with dimes. Buy sell dump rolls etc., no problem with the banks, including Chase.

I use to do all denominations but halves is where you can have the best scores.

OP
OP
D

dreamboxvip

May 1, 2014
Not sure what part of the country you are in but if this is a company wide policy, it hasn't been implemented in Idaho yet. I just took around $400 in halves to my local Chase branch on Friday and had no problem dumping them. I don't dump multiple times a week but each time I go in, they simply ask if I want cash or it deposited to my account.

Southeast

OP
OP
D

dreamboxvip

May 1, 2014
It is disappointing for sure.

Unfortunately for all of us, banks TOLERATE this hobby at their pleasure. They have every right to deny any service that they choose - so long as it is not for one of the protected classifications (ie: race, religion, etc). If I was in charge, I would refuse to cater to CRH'ers - because it is bad business.

As tempting as it is, I would suggest not making a big stink over it. In the long run, that can only hurt the hobby for everyone.

Well... I guess you don't crh then because you wouldn't cater to them because it's so terrible right?

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well... I guess you don't crh then because you wouldn't cater to them because it's so terrible right?
Of course he hunts coins. That's why he is on this forum. Don't think anyone is trying to start an argument. It's always been a simple fact that you don't want to overload your dumps. As was said, it's not their job to handle thousands of dollars in dumps. When you start thinking you have a "right" to do that you will have problems. No bank is required to accept your dumps, it's that simple.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread