Ben Cartwright SASS

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett
Primary Interest:
Other
The Rockland Federal Credit Union told me when I opened a free account there today that it is illegal to give out CWR and in fact it is illegal for customers to bring them in since 9/11.
I have never heard that anywhere else. BUT they had two coin counting machines, a normal one and an industrial strength one that are free to depositors and no limit on how much at a time so they are my new dump bank.

Upvote 0

CoinFetcher

Bronze Member
Apr 29, 2012
Left coast
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Love to treasure hunt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like you encountered a prickly teller.

NEXT PLEASE!!

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Rockland Federal Credit Union told me when I opened a free account there today that it is illegal to give out CWR and in fact it is illegal for customers to bring them in since 9/11.

Go to another location of that bank and see what they say. You have some teller that just makes up rules as he/she goes.
Or, go back and ask to that in writing. You don't have anything to lose they already will not cooperate with you.

mark1982

Mar 24, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That my be the most astronomically ridiculous excuse I have ever heard come out of a tellers mouth. If this is that credit unions policy I’m not sure how they could possibly be in business still. This is a perfect example of how functionally ******ed the United States is becoming. 9/11- passenger air craft taken over by terrorist and flown into building killing thousands. United States answer no more CWR from banks and ban bottle rockets.

Styfflin

Jan 8, 2013
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So many variables in this game. Teller mood, education level, personality, hours worked that day, total years worked, etc...your physical appearance, your words and tone...the level of difficulty of your request, the time and day you make the request, your history of requests with that teller/branch/bank. Oh, and then rules - perceived or actual, bent or broken or obeyed.

GB1

Gold Member
Jul 12, 2017
East TX
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknectics eurotek pro
bounty hunter time ranger
bounty hunter quick draw 2
used a teroso compadre.
Primary Interest:
Other
that teller is a :censored: probably a coin collector too i do 2 different banks one i know some are coin collectors and the second bank i went in there and they tried to give me cash for the rolls i had to explain what i wanted just depends on the bank i guess

TommyB

Jul 24, 2013
OC, Calif
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Surf PI & Whites DFX
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Sounds like you got a teller that failed the DMV employment test if that's possible.

No gold in NY

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2015
Detector(s) used
Whites Coin Master,
Whites Gold Master GMT, Whites MXSport
High banker/dredge,
DIY hand trommel,
DIY Miller table,
DIY fluidbed gold trap sluice,
Keene A-52 A-52s
2186 Wheaties
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm sorry, I just got on this planet. What is CWR?

OP
OP
Ben Cartwright SASS

Ben Cartwright SASS

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett
Primary Interest:
Other
The good thing about that bank is that they have two coin counters and no limit on how much to dump at once.

Another bank nearby another credit union, one branch will give out CWR's the other won't. I am checking out the 15-20 banks within about 10 miles and seeing which will or will not give CWR's

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It may be against that particular bank's policy, but of course it isn't illegal.

OP
OP
Ben Cartwright SASS

Ben Cartwright SASS

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett
Primary Interest:
Other
About half the banks in this area won't give out CWR. I got a $250 box of dimes today, halfway through with 1 '64 unc and a 1941 Mercury in nice shape so far

yardgoat

May 15, 2015
Salmon, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT, MX Sport
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My Credit Union charges a handling fee if you bring in more than $20.00 of rolled coins at a time, so I have an account at another bank that will take my rolled coins.

No gold in NY

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2015
Detector(s) used
Whites Coin Master,
Whites Gold Master GMT, Whites MXSport
High banker/dredge,
DIY hand trommel,
DIY Miller table,
DIY fluidbed gold trap sluice,
Keene A-52 A-52s
2186 Wheaties
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks for enlightening me on CWR's.

I have found one bank that stopped giving them out. I think it is about businesses complaining about the quality. I use to get them at that bank before they stopped. I got several penny rolls that were so thick with green corrosion they looked like mint candy wafers. No way there were 50 pennies in the rolls.

OP
OP
Ben Cartwright SASS

Ben Cartwright SASS

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett
Primary Interest:
Other
I often get washers in dimes and quarters and just got an English large cent in some halves. People complain and that is why some won't give them out. Treasures the ones that do

Many banks with coin counters won't take rolls

GlenDronach

Bronze Member
Aug 21, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have some banks here that will and some won't. One bank recently changed their policy. Before it was absolutely not, and now it's sure how many do you want?

There is absolutely no government regulation of that. I'd love to hear some of their answers to other questions, too.

FormerTeller

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
The teller is 100% wrong. HOWEVER, don't say a thing. Just smile and thank them for the information, and proceed to dump, dump, dump. That industrial strength coin counter is an incredible blessing. Take advantage of it while you can!

OP
OP
Ben Cartwright SASS

Ben Cartwright SASS

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett
Primary Interest:
Other
She said there are people who bring in a $1000 routinely, oh and I got a free crockpot for opening a free account with a $5 deposit! It is the perfect dumpbank, and across the street is a Citizens Bank that will give out CWR's and more.

Now I don't have to worry about taking 5 days to get rid of two boxes of halves!

FormerTeller

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
That's what I'm saying, you don't realize how much of a blessing it is till its gone. Use it while you can, and build up those relationships at the dump bank.

OP
OP
Ben Cartwright SASS

Ben Cartwright SASS

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett
Primary Interest:
Other
I had that at TD Bank, but then they took all the counters out, however I still keep up relationships with the tellers, also they are friendly anyway.

I had asked them to save halves for me, but I think I am going to see if I can get them to save all CWR's for me and I would pick them up twice a week.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread