Any nickel fans?

Scott W

Feb 7, 2011
Does anyone favor nickels?
I used to collect years ago, when I was a kid, because the older coins were plentiful, and the occasional silver was always present.
I have been unable to get half dollar boxes consistently lately, so I have been doing a few boxes of nickels lately.
I wonder if the results are typical. Out of 5 boxes there were 3 Buffalos (two in the same box, one 1936 and one unreadable), 4 war nickels, and a well worn 1890 V.
I decided to keep any 1950 and earlier. There seems to be 5-6 of those per box.
I understand the value of pre 1940 Jeff nickels, but it is hard to imagine any normally circulated nickel from the 1940's being worth more than .05, excepting the war nickel.
Opinions/pointers welcome here.

Upvote 0

FormerTeller

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
I don't search nickels so much after losing access to coin counters, but I used to enjoy going through them 3 buffalos and 1 V nickel out of 5 boxes is outstanding! Way better than my averages.

I too saved 1940's and even 1950's nickels, but more because of my hoarder tendencies than any perceived value. There's a LOT of them out there..,

TheWalrus

Oct 7, 2014
Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have not hit a V in years. Mostly an occasional no date buffalo. Hit a couple silver last month. Your score was better than.mine has been. Its been out there just getting good no cost dump banks is hard.

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My Dad has a thing for Nickels....
While he does have a complete collection of uncirculated Jefferson’s, he can’t stop.
He has rolls and rolls of each year and mintmark.... still crh’s looking for the 2009’s.
He has every nickel from the first no cents V to date, with the exceptions of 1885 and the 3 legged Buff.

Tommybuckets

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2015
Bodymore, Metalland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal, Safari, Garrett infinium, Whites prizm 4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I pick up a few rolls here and there so the tellers keep in mind I like them. All my best scores for nickels have been because tellers saw the old v or buffalo and saved whole rolls for me. I got 4 rolls of V Nickels and 2 rolls of Buffs from two different tellers who had saved them but felt generous that day! Occasionally I find a war nickel or buffalo on my own but they are few and far between in CWRs (for me anyway). I like Nickels since snipers don't look through them the way they look through halves etc.

OP
OP
Scott W

Scott W

Feb 7, 2011
Here's a pic. There are 4 war nickels, 6 38 & 39's, 4 Buffs and the V. That 1935 is in very good condition.
nickels.jpg

scruggs

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2008
Northern Alabama
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice finds you made! I check all my nickels and have found several silver ones in pocket change this year.

Ben Cartwright SASS

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett
Primary Interest:
Other
Price guides don't even list values for coins in heavily circulated condition, the closest is Very Fine a nice coin, they are 25 cents and that is what the dealer charges to make up for his time. They buy them basically for 5 cents each or maybe 6-7 (maybe) but that being said there are certain mintmarks and dates that are worth money.

I have a Whitman coin board (where you push the coin in) for my CRH finds, I use Dansco for my uncirculated collections. I mostly look for silver but often get some rolls of nickels

Scott (Mich)

Mar 23, 2007
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ever since my CU got rid of their coin machine I have hunted mostly nickels. I am not into doing any kind of heavy volume and only get 5 rolls every time I cash in my paycheck at my bank. Once I get a bunch of nickels saved I will take them, rolled up, to my CU. I figure with the low volume I do, that my CU will just dispense them to the local businesses.

Anyways, even at $10 a week I get 1- 2 buffaloes a year and maybe the same for war nickels. I do not remember ever getting anything older than the buffaloes. If I remember when I get home tonight I'll look at my 2017 tally sheet and see how this year has been.

I think this year I will pick up a box of nickels from my bank and see how that works.

Scott (Mich)

Mar 23, 2007
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A follow-up to my above post. Today when I went to the bank I picked up a box of nickels for the first time ever, instead of my usual ten dollars worth.

This $100 box had
1939 (3)
1940's (11 not including the silver)
1944-P Silver (1)
1950's (11)
Canadian (2)
This box had shrink wrapped plastic rolls but no source identification, so I do not know if it was from Loomis or Brinks or whoever, but it was a sealed box with dark blue "$100 Nickels" stamped on four sides.

For this year, 2017, I have hunted $590.00 worth of Nickels and have the following tally:
Buffalo (1)
Silver War Nickels (3)
1938-39 (10)
1940's (70 - non silver)
1950's (88)
1960 proof (1)
Canadian (34)
and one Tanzania 50 "Senti Hamsini" dated 1990 (pretty close to a nickel's size)

I have found and added two nickels, this year, to the collection my dad had started many years ago, which were a 1938 and a 1955. So from circulation I just need a 1938-S, 1943-D, 1944-S, and a 1950-D. I realize I could buy these pretty easily but the challenge is to find them all through coin roll hunting.

Quin

Oct 28, 2015
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 30
Garrett Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey, obnoxious YouTube V nickel guy here...just wanted to say that nickels are my favorite. Definitely go through the most volume in nickels and have some decent finds to show for it. Granted, I got super lucky when I started hunting and found 6 v-nickels in $20 worth of rolls. Well...almost two years later, I finally got another v-nickel! The date was 1909 and it was in outstanding condition for a coin that old- LIBERTY almost completely visible. It came with two buffs- one dateless and the other a 1930.

So yeah, I'm a big nickel fan. I will say, though, that silver has diminished drastically since I started hunting two years ago. I probably average about 1 silver every two boxes these days...actually find more buffalos than I do silver nowadays.

galenrog

Bronze Member
Feb 19, 2006
Nickels. The maligned and despised five cent piece. Yes, I do search them. I do not keep a tally of what I find where. I do find, on average, between 20 and 25 keepers per box. A keeper is defined as something I want or something that I will sell or trade. I always keep and segregate the following: V Nicks, Buffaloes, ‘38-‘49 Jeff’s, War Nicks, ‘50-‘59 Jeff’s, Errors, and an ever expanding list of individual dates that others may want to trade for.

The Canadians and other foreign coin is thrown in a small bucket. When it is full, I look through for things of interest to me and others.

In the end, you decide what you like, what you keep, and so forth.

Time for more coffee.

port ewen ace

Silver Member
Dec 16, 2012
port ewen ny
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO & Equinox800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
over 500 boxes of nics-- = over 500 war nics---PLUS---
about 8 "V"'s
couple 100 Buffs
sold MANY AU/MS pre-1970 at 40 to 100X face & a few at 1000X face
6 CUDS,
4 clips,
many greasers,
few dozen die clashes,
4 rotated dies,
hundreds of die cracks,
1 blank,
a bunch of MS Proofs
a few THOUSAND beavers :BangHead::BangHead: (sold 'em for close to face),
not ONE STINKIN' 50-D :BangHead:

fur a HUN--- nics are tops in risk vs. reward :laughing9:

Ben Cartwright SASS

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett
Primary Interest:
Other
got 20 CWR of nickels, went through 2 so far, found a VF 1951 S that I need for my book, found 5 coins I need, 12D 15D 16D 51S 47D

Last edited:
OP
OP
Scott W

Scott W

Feb 7, 2011
It is possible that nickels are not being searched in my area. The same can't be said for half dollars.

Ben Cartwright SASS

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett
Primary Interest:
Other
We have 7 or 8 guys that I know of that are doing CRH in the 4 town area, there are several banks that get hit every day. That being said there are banks that they have missed, often banks that are small or newer.
I went by a bank, only 2 blocks from the one that the others and I hit heavily and asked if they had any halves. They said they had $74 in loose halves and thanked me profusely for taking them, they were happy to get rid of them. As they were putting them in a plastic bag some spilled on the counter, I saw silver. I am showing the youtube video because I am working on my laptop and my desktop with my video software is in the shop so I cannot cut frames but I got 6 40% and 1 90% Kennedy, not bad for a heavily hit area.
You have to hit every bank! What is nice is that we also have a lot of coin counters in the area.

port ewen ace

Silver Member
Dec 16, 2012
port ewen ny
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO & Equinox800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
dope dealers can't run with a pocket full of halves :BangHead:, so they spend 'em :happysmiley:--- it can pay to be in a crime infested area :tongue3:

NoThisIsPatrick

Jan 8, 2015
Washington
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I can’t do nickels. I keep thinking I’m getting old nickels...then I turn them over and it’s just 1964. Those darn 1964D’s are the most misleading coin of all time

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread