2017-P dime die chips ahoy

Styfflin

Jan 8, 2013
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Still learning the error game. I bought a bag of dimes because that's what I'm used to for hunting silver, but now I'm checking all coins for cherry picker guide dates and whatever else I can find. Obviously not a great denomination to search, but I'm enjoying the experience.
What do you guys think of this 2017-P dime? Three pretty significant die chips that I wasn't able to locate on another 2017-P that I was able to find in the bag. I was able to locate a few more dimes with die chips on both the obverse and reverse, but not as nice as these. Pretty common?
Taking pics with my phone plus 10x loupe. That'll take some getting used to.

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1512348320.449272.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1512348713.526535.jpg

Upvote 0

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I honestly would spend more time looking for doubling on the torches and clashes than die chips. I know some collect them or sell them, but they really are quite common.

GB1

Gold Member
Jul 12, 2017
East TX
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknectics eurotek pro
bounty hunter time ranger
bounty hunter quick draw 2
used a teroso compadre.
Primary Interest:
Other
i agree and i never thought i would collect zincolns

OP
OP
Styfflin

Styfflin

Jan 8, 2013
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I honestly would spend more time looking for doubling on the torches and clashes than die chips. I know some collect them or sell them, but they really are quite common.

I figured after I found a couple more die chips on other dimes that it was just a standard thing for dimes. But then I found an ebay sold auction for a 2017-P dime with a very minor die chip compared to mine, and it sold for $3.
You mentioned doubling on the torch. What dimes have that doubling? The Cherry Pickers Guide doesn't have that many things to search for with dimes.
I think I found a clash on a dime from a search earlier this month - I'll take pictures when I get home. Not a great one if I remember correctly, but enough for me to catch it with my naked eye.

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I figured after I found a couple more die chips on other dimes that it was just a standard thing for dimes. But then I found an ebay sold auction for a 2017-P dime with a very minor die chip compared to mine, and it sold for $3.
You mentioned doubling on the torch. What dimes have that doubling? The Cherry Pickers Guide doesn't have that many things to search for with dimes.
I think I found a clash on a dime from a search earlier this month - I'll take pictures when I get home. Not a great one if I remember correctly, but enough for me to catch it with my naked eye.

Go to "doubleddie.com and look at their doubled die listings. You'll be surprised what goodies are out there on dimes!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread