Buying bags from coin counters, is it worth it?

Ben Cartwright SASS

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett
Primary Interest:
Other
I have asked at several banks and none of them will sell bags from the coin counters. Well today I asked at my final bank where I have an account and they said sure, what ever I want.

So the first question is, is it worth it? Their machine is a CoinMAX and I am not sure if it rejects silver or not, don't really want to waste a dime to find out, but I would think it wouldn't reject 40% halves, BUT there is another CRHer who checks for rolls at the bank and I am trying to find out where he dumps them, although to the best of knowledge he doesn't buy boxes of halves.

Secondly, what are peoples percentages on Dimes, Quarters and Halves doing this?

I have a bank that I dump at that won't sell CWR and really doesn't like to sell BWR so I just dump there

What are peoples thoughts on the bags?

Upvote 0

Styfflin

Jan 8, 2013
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
100% worth it. My biggest scores for cents, dimes and quarters all came from full coin counter bags - and they were all BIG ones. Look at my previous threads. I have found a lot of silver halves in coin counter bags as well. I like to top off the half dollar bags every six months or so at all of my participating banks to get all the goodies inside.

Silver Saver

Mar 15, 2017
Center of North America
Detector(s) used
Etrac- Sunray x5, x8, x12. Garrett Carrot.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep defiantly worth it for halves in my experience. I just searched a $500 bag from a machine last night and it had 16 silver. 1 Ben, 2 64 and 13 40%. It also had 3 dollars of quarters, some pennies, a couple $2 Canadian coins, a button, a key, a pin, and lots of debris like a fake fingernail and hair lol. The count on it might end up being off, but that's the chance I took.

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
By ALL MEANS go for the bag. You have a very good chance of LUCK to hit a big collection dump. Take in my case of last January 2017, I happen to hit upon a MWR box of dimes that had 98-silvers (65-merc, 33-Rosie's). Now imagine how many there were originally dumped into the machine at the bank, and if that machine had BAGS and I bought the bag, WOW. So go for bags whenever you can, and take the chance.

TxAg

May 7, 2017
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yes, definitely go for the half dollar bags as there is a good chance for a silver collection dump. My first bag I ever bought was a $164 partial bag from Jan-2017. I found (50) 40%ers & (1) 90%er for a silver success rate of 15.6%! I've yet to top that percentage on other bags, but have had some good luck nonetheless. My motto for halves, "Always buy the bag!"

OP
OP
Ben Cartwright SASS

Ben Cartwright SASS

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett
Primary Interest:
Other
First thing I am trying to do is to find out where the other person working that bank dumps his coins. From what I can see he goes there 3 times a week requesting all the CWR. I got in ahead of him 2 weeks ago when I hit a solid 40% roll and 2 other 40% an 4 90%, he missed those.
But even if he dumps there if he is dumping only CWR there will be alot more customer coins.

I will go back tomorrow at lunch and ask about buying a bag, may even buy the bag that I filled today, it only took about 10 coins before it filled. The only downside is that I have two boxes of halves coming in on the 15th in a week so will have to dump them all over a week or two, but I have 4 banks so far where I have accounts with counters

OP
OP
Ben Cartwright SASS

Ben Cartwright SASS

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett
Primary Interest:
Other
I AM going to get the halves bag, if they still have it, will go at lunch time. I think most of the coins are from my two dumps but the last time that happened, when they are "all" mine, I got two solid rolls of Walkers and 30 of my dump rolls.

I have decided I will no longer use this bank as a dump bank, or only for pennies and nickels that I won't buy a bag for as I am a silver guy. Time should tell if someone else is using to dump.

OP
OP
Ben Cartwright SASS

Ben Cartwright SASS

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett
Primary Interest:
Other
Just got back from the bank that will sell bags and they told me they can't sell me the halves because a customer has a standing order for all half bags.

I think I just changed my dump bank for halves! THe only downside is they only allow $200 a day of coin, I need to find out is that per person or per account, I would open a second account to stick it to this guy! At the least it is only 3 miles from home so I can get there every day at lunch to dump halves! That may be better as I don't want to get shut off

I told them I want a standing order on dime bags and quarter bags and CWR's

RTR

Gold Member
Nov 21, 2017
Smith Mt. Lake Va.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I did just that in 1965.......And Yes it was worth it :)!

OP
OP
Ben Cartwright SASS

Ben Cartwright SASS

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett
Primary Interest:
Other
I will have to do dimes and quarters while dumping halves at that bank,

Just called 5 other banks, none of them will sell bags. 6th bank where I am going to open an account said no one had ever asked to do that and they took my name and number and basically sounds like I have a standing order from them, but they said as they are a new small strip mall branch the bags don't fill very fast.
Once I have an account I will call their other branches, not giving up yet.

OP
OP
Ben Cartwright SASS

Ben Cartwright SASS

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett
Primary Interest:
Other
7 banks so far won't sell bags, the one that will seems to be locked up by one person buying it all. Not sure where he is dumping

guess I have to buy boxes

RTR

Gold Member
Nov 21, 2017
Smith Mt. Lake Va.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Ben.Why not just gets rolls of coins ? Every bank has them.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You surely aren't talking about coinstar machines are you? You're talking about the banks own coin counting machines behind the counter, right?

OP
OP
Ben Cartwright SASS

Ben Cartwright SASS

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett
Primary Interest:
Other
digg
that is correct the banks own coin counters that customers dump coins into. I did find one bank that says they will sell the bags before the send them to the fed. We will see if I can get one or two. The halves are promised to another CRHer already when they fill, sounded like the dimes and quarters might still be available. Want to try it.

I do get rolls, always ask for CWR but will often get a few rolls of BWR, I also will order boxes of halves from the one bank in the area that will order them, and my local TD will order boxes of dimes and quarters

I have never had good luck with quarters, picked up 37 CWR of quarters today, so far through 10 rolls I have found one Proof quarter but it is really scarred up.

Going to dump all my halves at the bank that the guy is buying bags from... :headbang:

TxAg

May 7, 2017
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just got back from the bank that will sell bags and they told me they can't sell me the halves because a customer has a standing order for all half bags.

I think I just changed my dump bank for halves! THe only downside is they only allow $200 a day of coin, I need to find out is that per person or per account, I would open a second account to stick it to this guy! At the least it is only 3 miles from home so I can get there every day at lunch to dump halves! That may be better as I don't want to get shut off

I told them I want a standing order on dime bags and quarter bags and CWR's

Ben - Does this bank have another branch nearby where you can be "the customer who has the standing order to buy all half bags"?

OP
OP
Ben Cartwright SASS

Ben Cartwright SASS

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett
Primary Interest:
Other
Unfortunatly no, it is a small bank but I got 22 40% and 3 90% from 5 CWR when I beat the guy there. I am dumping all my halves there for now, I have 2 boxes coming next week so I can flood it. We will see if they give me the bag of dimes or not, they don't seem to play favorites with the CWR that I can tell.

King Canslaw

Nov 30, 2017
Michigan
Detector(s) used
White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you can get dime and quarter bags from them, I wouldn't dump your half dollars at that bank. You could run the risk of ticking off the tellers there. I stopped CRH about 8 years ago because it became such a hassle to dump. Of course I was searching a minimum of 5,000 a week worth the halves and dumping them at Chase Bank. Good luck to you.

Zomotion

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2013
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, coinmaster Gt Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you can get dime and quarter bags from them, I wouldn't dump your half dollars at that bank. You could run the risk of ticking off the tellers there. I stopped CRH about 8 years ago because it became such a hassle to dump. Of course I was searching a minimum of 5,000 a week worth the halves and dumping them at Chase Bank. Good luck to you.

Yes way to much talk here from OP about dumping and ordering from same bank. It's not a good idea no matter how good a reason you think you have.

OP
OP
Ben Cartwright SASS

Ben Cartwright SASS

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett
Primary Interest:
Other
you all are probably correct about not doing major dumps at that bank. Of course they only allow you to "dump" $200 in coin a day I have been taking about $50 there each time I stop in about 3 times a week. I try to spread my dumps over 7 different banks with counters and where I have accounts.
My major dump bank is a federal credit union where they do not even allow customers to enter the bank with rolled coin, it has to be unrolled and put in one of the two machines they have, one is a really big machine that eat tons. They told me people often count over $1,000, I usually go there once a week with about $450 or so.
I am only getting 2 boxes of halves every two weeks at this time, but have only been doing CRH since the beginning of Nov after a couple year hiatus. I have done one box of dimes, only 3 Roosies, but lots of CWR, about $500 in quarter CWR and not a single silver, I am about to give up on silver in quarters, I do better with dimes and halves..

When I get my 2 new boxes of halves next week, already ordered, I will probably take them to that bank once or twice a week, $200-$400 a week would still fill the bag faster than normal. i guess I am just ticked about them allowing someone to have a standing order, but at least they are the only bank that will sell bags, so they say.

what I might do is to take al my dimes there, right now I have a about $250 in dimes and see if I can fill the bag and then see if they will sell it to me. I have 6 other machines I can take the dimes to and split them up so not to raise eyebrows. Of course I am not searching as much as others are.

I guess my plan is to continue to try to build a good relationship with the head teller at that bank, never tick them off IF they will sell bags. I am going to continue to ask for CWR of 10,25,50's and some nickels, and about one box of week of dimes and 2 every other weeks of halves, gives me time to get rid of them.

So far this past month I have found more silver than the previous 4-5 years I was searching, if you ignore the 2 solid rolls of Walkers I stumbled on.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread