This one blended in

Silver Saver

Mar 15, 2017
Center of North America
Detector(s) used
Etrac- Sunray x5, x8, x12. Garrett Carrot.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Searched a $500 bag of halves off a machine and ended up with 2 64, 1 Ben, and 13 40%. Gosh do I love the shiny silver that just pops out among the others. I already threw the finds into the pile so I don't have pics of that, but I took a pic of the one I wanted to share. This one blended in pretty well among the clad. I was just rim checking, but I do check all the shiny nice rims, or dirty, or just anything that isn't blatantly obvious worn clad.
I forgot to take the picture long ways. 4th one up from the bottom

20171206_142927.jpg 20171207_162050.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

TxAg

May 7, 2017
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yep, I had one just like that the other day and almost missed it. It was really gnarly so I gave it a bath in E-Z-EST and was surprised at how good it turned out!

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
A goodly portion of my dimes appear to be tea stain in color, so I look for the unusual. Nice pick ups.

FormerTeller

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
I was just rim checking...

Strongly recommend you pick up the habit of checking for sound as well. As long as you have a stack in your hand, it only takes a second to riffle through them. I can't tell you how many times I've heard silver when I would have sworn it was all clad.

Zomotion

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2013
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, coinmaster Gt Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What former teller said. It's a game changer

Vdubguy

Jul 31, 2013
Central PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 (current detector)
Garrett Pro Pointer
Garrett AT Pro (first detector, no longer have)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Strongly recommend you pick up the habit of checking for sound as well. As long as you have a stack in your hand, it only takes a second to riffle through them. I can't tell you how many times I've heard silver when I would have sworn it was all clad.

I do the exact same thing. I rim check, then riffle the stack in my hand, the toss in the “to be returned” bag.

With this method, you don’t miss a thing. And I can go through a box in about ten minutes do that.

FormerTeller

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
It also identifies magicians coins pretty easily - there's no mistaking that "clunk"! I've found a good 20 or so over the years this way.

Tommybuckets

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2015
Bodymore, Metalland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal, Safari, Garrett infinium, Whites prizm 4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hehe yea the acoustic test. I was roll searching outside my dump bank in the car (out of eyesight) and double checked the rolls by sound. Works like a charm. Actually got into a decent box 1 90% 8 40%. I need to listen for those magicians coins. Thx for the tip Formerteller

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread