Styfflin's Oddity Log - Varieties, Errors or Damage?

Styfflin

Jan 8, 2013
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This thread is going to be dedicated to my interesting coin roll hunting finds that I think are errors/varieties/etc. I don't want this in the CRH Log subforum, hidden in plain sight, so that's why I'm posting it in the higher-traffic coin roll hunting forum.
I am NOT an expert on numismatics, but I can certainly take pictures and ask questions with the best of them. Coin experts, please check this thread regularly and weigh in on my perceived finds. Novices (like me), soak up the knowledge. I'd like this thread to be a place to learn how to find the treasure that you'd normally toss out with your other dump coins.
I've been saving up oddities for a couple years now, only picking out coins that really stood out to me. Now that I finally purchased a 10x loupe, I can take a closer look at all my coins and really start finding some neat stuff.
I'll be posting one coin at a time, and I'll allow enough time and discussion between coins to adequately identify the error/variety/etc. and whether the coin is worth keeping or not. I've got a bunch of coins lined up, and I'm ready to talk about them. I just have to take the pictures - so stay tuned!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Styfflin

Styfflin

Jan 8, 2013
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's the nickel with the possible lamination error:

IMG_3615.jpg
IMG_3616.jpg
IMG_3617.jpg
IMG_3618.jpg

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Neither are errors. The cent is probably glue and the nickel is a stain. If it were a lamination the numbers and letters would be less clear.

OP
OP
Styfflin

Styfflin

Jan 8, 2013
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Alright! Those were two lower-expectation coins. I'll post one of my prize-expectations now. It's what I think is a 1999-P Roosevelt dime with a major clash.

IMG_3578.jpg
IMG_3577.jpg

OP
OP
Styfflin

Styfflin

Jan 8, 2013
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree! I love clashes.
I found a second similar clash on a 1988-P Roosevelt dime, but it's not nearly as nice as my first one.

IMG_3582.jpg
IMG_3583.jpg

OP
OP
Styfflin

Styfflin

Jan 8, 2013
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How about a true oddity? The copper has bled out around the entire edge of the observe of this 199X-D Roosevelt dime. No sign of that issue on the reverse, though the northern portion of the rim is different.
My first thought was some sort of post mint damage, but I hope I'm wrong. It was too cool to throw back either way. What do you guys think?

IMG_3590.jpg
IMG_3591.jpg
IMG_3592.jpg

LooseChange

Sep 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How about a true oddity? The copper has bled out around the entire edge of the observe of this 199X-D Roosevelt dime. No sign of that issue on the reverse, though the northern portion of the rim is different.
My first thought was some sort of post mint damage, but I hope I'm wrong. It was too cool to throw back either way. What do you guys think?

View attachment 1537462

My guess is dryer-coin-PMD (when a coin rides on edge along a dryer drum, the edge rolls over and lightly abrades).

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a very nice clash and difficult to find that strong!

OP
OP
Styfflin

Styfflin

Jan 8, 2013
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's another one that I'm quite excited about. I'm going to try to sound pro here (with my educated guess). I believe the coin pictured below is a 1970-D Roosevelt dime RDV-002 with a non-attributed retained CUD error on the reverse.
All in all, though, I'm really not sure.

IMG_3507.jpg
IMG_3508.jpg
IMG_3487.jpg

OP
OP
Styfflin

Styfflin

Jan 8, 2013
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Any insights?

Last edited:

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't believe it's a cud. Looks more like folded over metal because there is detail on the area. Cud would just be a blob.

OP
OP
Styfflin

Styfflin

Jan 8, 2013
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fine, fine. I'm all about moving on to the next coin!
Here is what I believe to be a 2009 1¢ FY WDDR-001. :)

IMG_3621.jpg
IMG_3620.jpg
IMG_3619.jpg

OP
OP
Styfflin

Styfflin

Jan 8, 2013
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't believe it's a cud. Looks more like folded over metal because there is detail on the area. Cud would just be a blob.

I had to email Mike Diamond (for the first time) on that dime I thought was a retained cud. He said it appeared to be a retained cud. I'm going to put it in a 2x2 and label it as a possible retained cud.
I know the photos weren't the greatest, which didn't help. I know the nature of that type of error is hard to validate/find - cuds-on-coins.com only has three examples of Roosevelt dimes with retained cuds and there are no ebay sold auctions for retained cud Roosevelt dimes.
So I'm left with a maybe, which is okay. We're on to the next coin!

port ewen ace

Silver Member
Dec 16, 2012
port ewen ny
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO & Equinox800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
nice '09--- dime looks like struck thru foreign matter-- so I agree with MD

look for bootstrap & chip on shoulder of the '09 FY issue. never got a poly thumb error--- youze beat me on that one :BangHead:

OP
OP
Styfflin

Styfflin

Jan 8, 2013
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks PEA. I can't believe my luck sometimes, though the condition of the coin isn't great. I don't search all that many cents.
Next up...
I think it's just solder on this 1996-D Roosevelt dime. However, just the minutest chance of it not being solder was reason enough for me to keep it. What do you think?

IMG_3646.jpg
IMG_3647.jpg
IMG_3648.JPG

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
And...I'm back. Finally got my brother's camera, and I got pictures of ALL of my question coins. So get ready for some rapid fire.
Here are some new photos of the cent in question. I didn't give it a real acetone bath yet, but hopefully there's enough detail in these photos where it won't need to be shot again. :)

View attachment 1536959
View attachment 1536960

I am probably wrong but the coin appears that it may have suffered a flip over double strike but then got caught in some type of coin counting machinery or other machinery. You might want to send some really good pics to Mike Diamond at [email protected] and see what he says.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions