Styfflin's Oddity Log - Varieties, Errors or Damage?

Styfflin

Jan 8, 2013
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This thread is going to be dedicated to my interesting coin roll hunting finds that I think are errors/varieties/etc. I don't want this in the CRH Log subforum, hidden in plain sight, so that's why I'm posting it in the higher-traffic coin roll hunting forum.
I am NOT an expert on numismatics, but I can certainly take pictures and ask questions with the best of them. Coin experts, please check this thread regularly and weigh in on my perceived finds. Novices (like me), soak up the knowledge. I'd like this thread to be a place to learn how to find the treasure that you'd normally toss out with your other dump coins.
I've been saving up oddities for a couple years now, only picking out coins that really stood out to me. Now that I finally purchased a 10x loupe, I can take a closer look at all my coins and really start finding some neat stuff.
I'll be posting one coin at a time, and I'll allow enough time and discussion between coins to adequately identify the error/variety/etc. and whether the coin is worth keeping or not. I've got a bunch of coins lined up, and I'm ready to talk about them. I just have to take the pictures - so stay tuned!

Upvote 0

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I find this next one even more curious. It's a 1975-D Lincoln cent. It has a lot less action on it. This one has a single line going through the obverse with nice-sized lamination flakes running all the way along it, with an especially nice one right by the date. I still think it could be post mint damage, of course. I hope it's more an interesting lamination error.

View attachment 1540168
View attachment 1540169
View attachment 1540170

It's a lamination error for sure.

OP
OP
Styfflin

Styfflin

Jan 8, 2013
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Right on! Glad my instincts have been mostly decent so far.
I want to post this coin next. It's a 1983-P Jefferson nickel. It has die cracks on both sides. On the obverse, north to south. On the reverse, west to east. They're also pretty thick cracks. Not only that, but the obverse might be or might have been a bisecting rim to rim die crack. It's hard to tell if it is or if it isn't based on the photos. I just checked the coin out with my 10x loupe. It's too close for me to call. The wear on the coin might be too much to make a determination or I might need even more magnification.
What do you think based off the evidence I currently have? I can take more photos, but I'd like to wait until I have another batch of oddities to shoot.
Either way, this is the most interesting coin with die cracks I've found. I'm guessing it's pretty rare.

IMG_3613.jpg
IMG_3614.jpg

Last edited:

port ewen ace

Silver Member
Dec 16, 2012
port ewen ny
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO & Equinox800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
obverse is bisecting median split about to be born. reverse is one crusty beat to :censored: die, also with the embryo of a growing BMS. the '83-P nic is the EDSEL of errors-----it came with nearly every possible defect. the Mint staff all got trophies :award_star_bronze_1 :sad5: :silvertrophy: for their total lack of performance standards in that year :dontknow::happysmiley: sit back with a nice chilled chianti with a side of fois gras & fava beans.

youze gittin' good at this :laughing9:

OP
OP
Styfflin

Styfflin

Jan 8, 2013
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
the '83-P nic is the EDSEL of errors-----it came with nearly every possible defect. the Mint staff all got trophies :award_star_bronze_1 :sad5: :silvertrophy: for their total lack of performance standards in that year :dontknow::happysmiley:

It's so true! The 1983-P Jefferson nickel must have been minted by an elementary school. I went to my oddity bag to pull out the die crack coin for further inspection last night. I pulled out a 1983-P Jefferson nickel, but I pulled out a die clash not a die crack!
It's not a great one. I think it's only visible on the reverse. But it's another fine specimen courtesy of the 1983-P crew.

IMG_3603.jpg
IMG_3602.jpg

OP
OP
Styfflin

Styfflin

Jan 8, 2013
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do you see double on this 1969-S Lincoln cent obverse? The slight doubling on the date reminds me of 1969-S 1¢ WDDO-002, but then it also has some questionable doubling on TRUST.

IMG_3533.jpg
IMG_3536.jpg
IMG_3535.jpg
IMG_3532.jpg

OP
OP
Styfflin

Styfflin

Jan 8, 2013
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's what I was afraid of. I still want to get some better shots of the date, because I think there are features similar to the DDO that I referenced that I didn't capture very well in the first round of pictures. We can revisit it later.
For now, check out this coin. I believe it's an off center strike on a 2000-D Roosevelt dime. This would be my first coin found with an off center strike if confirmed. Unfortunately, it's got some nasty dings all over it.

IMG_3539.jpg
IMG_3540.jpg

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's what I was afraid of. I still want to get some better shots of the date, because I think there are features similar to the DDO that I referenced that I didn't capture very well in the first round of pictures. We can revisit it later.
For now, check out this coin. I believe it's an off center strike on a 2000-D Roosevelt dime. This would be my first coin found with an off center strike if confirmed. Unfortunately, it's got some nasty dings all over it.

View attachment 1541283
View attachment 1541284

Yes that is an off center strike. As for the other coin, one thing to remember. Doubled dies, being on the die, will be exactly the same on every coin the die makes. Similar to doesn't cut it. It has to be an exact match.

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
The 2000-D Roosevelt Dime is actually a Broadstrike Error.

Broadstrikes

The 1969-S Lincoln Cent exhibits Machine Doubling and nothing more that I can see. I have owned many hundreds of them purchased in bags and rolls (paper and plastic) in pursuit of the 1969-S "DDO-001" Lincoln Cent Variety and sold most of them in rolls.

Last edited:

port ewen ace

Silver Member
Dec 16, 2012
port ewen ny
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO & Equinox800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Broadstrikes

The 1969-S Lincoln Cent exhibits Machine Doubling and nothing more that I can see. I have owned many hundreds of them purchased in bags and rolls (paper and plastic) in pursuit of the 1969-S "DDO-001" Lincoln Cent Variety and sold most of them in rolls.

Frank, is the'00-D struck out of collar or a tilted collar? whichever, a SUPER FIND :icon_thumleft::icon_thumright:

OP
OP
Styfflin

Styfflin

Jan 8, 2013
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

The thought about why the design wasn't missing at all did cross my mind a couple times. My brain just never connected the dots. Thanks for looking and setting me straight!

OP
OP
Styfflin

Styfflin

Jan 8, 2013
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's a 1978-D Jefferson nickel with a nice cud over LIBERTY. I think that's only my second regular cud I've found.

IMG_3498.jpg
IMG_3499.jpg

OP
OP
Styfflin

Styfflin

Jan 8, 2013
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's a 1994-P Roosevelt dime with a line that appears to come off of the rim on the reverse and go behind the letters in ONE. My only thought is die crack, but I wonder if it could be more.

IMG_3548.jpg
IMG_3549.jpg
IMG_3552.jpg

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Frank, is the'00-D struck out of collar or a tilted collar? whichever, a SUPER FIND :icon_thumleft::icon_thumright:

Being struck outside the collar is how true Broadstrike Errors occur and which is noted on ERROR-REF.COM at the link I provided. There are many Striking Errors that are similar to Broadstrikes but they are not true Broadstrike Errors and they are the result of other problems such as Die Misalignment Errors and Skidding Coin Errors.

OP
OP
Styfflin

Styfflin

Jan 8, 2013
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the price estimates PEA. People need to see that these aren't just neat coins, but they're rare coins with value that often meets or exceeds your basic junk silver finds.

OP
OP
Styfflin

Styfflin

Jan 8, 2013
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Any thoughts about that last dime I posted? I am getting near the end of my first round of oddity photos. Replenishing the oddity bag has been slow, but that's the nature of the beast.

port ewen ace

Silver Member
Dec 16, 2012
port ewen ny
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO & Equinox800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Any thoughts about that last dime I posted? I am getting near the end of my first round of oddity photos. Replenishing the oddity bag has been slow, but that's the nature of the beast.

leavin' the dime to Huntsman. looks like uneven planchet or blister, but the bump on left of "E" is odd :dontknow:
you altered my outlook on dimes-- never do error checks, just silver surfing with dismal results.
got a box Friday that will get a full investigation for "collusion" and all other nefarious activity--- maybe even get a silver ???:dontknow::laughing9:. a bit of study on dime issues so I know what rock to look under:icon_study::read2::dontknow:

+ 2 boxes O' halves, $300 in Qtrs & box of cents warmin' up for the weekend

OP
OP
Styfflin

Styfflin

Jan 8, 2013
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Holy crap. I just sent you a private message requesting you hunt dimes. This PEA wavelength is tough to get on but really easy to stay on!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions