Styfflin's Oddity Log - Varieties, Errors or Damage?

Styfflin

Jan 8, 2013
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This thread is going to be dedicated to my interesting coin roll hunting finds that I think are errors/varieties/etc. I don't want this in the CRH Log subforum, hidden in plain sight, so that's why I'm posting it in the higher-traffic coin roll hunting forum.
I am NOT an expert on numismatics, but I can certainly take pictures and ask questions with the best of them. Coin experts, please check this thread regularly and weigh in on my perceived finds. Novices (like me), soak up the knowledge. I'd like this thread to be a place to learn how to find the treasure that you'd normally toss out with your other dump coins.
I've been saving up oddities for a couple years now, only picking out coins that really stood out to me. Now that I finally purchased a 10x loupe, I can take a closer look at all my coins and really start finding some neat stuff.
I'll be posting one coin at a time, and I'll allow enough time and discussion between coins to adequately identify the error/variety/etc. and whether the coin is worth keeping or not. I've got a bunch of coins lined up, and I'm ready to talk about them. I just have to take the pictures - so stay tuned!

Upvote 0

port ewen ace

Silver Member
Dec 16, 2012
port ewen ny
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO & Equinox800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
with cold pouring in-- no way to gaze at hot legs & other Joy & delights of the female human species-- so let the drooling begin over proof that even the US Government can sometimes :dontknow: make a mistake :tongue3::laughing9:,

ONCE I thought I made a mistake ----- BUT----I was wrong :laughing7::happysmiley:

drown us in photos 8-)

OP
OP
Styfflin

Styfflin

Jan 8, 2013
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I want to start with what I think could be, at the very least, a 1997 cent with a majorly grease-filled die. What makes me think it could be more are the raised portions on the obverse. Or it could all be damage. Let me know what you think!

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1512783278.434456.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1512783314.751825.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1512783349.802337.jpg

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm seeing the outline of the base of the memorial running from under trust across the forehead of Lincoln. I'm pretty certain this is damage, but if you could clean it with acetone we could be more definitive.

OP
OP
Styfflin

Styfflin

Jan 8, 2013
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Follow up pictures have been delayed because my wife's nail polish remover is non-acetone. I'll purchase some acetone today and get this ball rolling!

OP
OP
Styfflin

Styfflin

Jan 8, 2013
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So just a few pics after a light swabbing with acetone nail polish remover.

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1513513154.579108.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1513513189.445526.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1513513222.618604.jpg

I just read that you shouldn't use nail polish remover, acetone or not. Only pure acetone. Thoughts? My coin does have some rainbow toning now, which could be from the nail polish remover or from it reacting with whatever the funk crud that was on the coin.
I'm still not sure about this coin. The reverse has nice crisp devices "PLUR" and "UNU" amid all the lost details, which makes me think grease. There are fine lines in those smooth areas which could either be from the grease or abrasion. The obverse has those same lines, pitting, and what I thought could be raised steps actually appear to be incuse. It is odd how it only went from the rim to approximately where Lincoln 's head would be, but that could be just coincidence.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Styfflin

Styfflin

Jan 8, 2013
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm ready for the next coin. Something a bit easier to identify. This is a 1946 nickel with what I think is a lamination error on the obverse.

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1513515699.189095.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1513515721.357294.jpg

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hard to tell if it's a lamination error or a stain. Yes nail polish remover isn't pure acetone remover and shouldn't be used on coins.

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
If this thread continues, I'm looking forward to learning more about errors. Please keep them coming.

OP
OP
Styfflin

Styfflin

Jan 8, 2013
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If this thread continues, I'm looking forward to learning more about errors. Please keep them coming.

This thread most definitely is going to continue. I'm pissed because I can't get good answers since my photos kinda suck. I'll be obtaining a good camera from my brother with a ultra-zoom lens, which should definitely fix this little problem of mine. I've got a lot better stuff than these first two coins, but I didn't want to start too hot.

galenrog

Bronze Member
Feb 19, 2006
The problem with images may not be the camera. If handheld, the simple function of heartbeat can cause enough movement to compromise sharpness of the image. Even an average digital camera should suffice if it is held immobile by a stand or clamp of some type. I use a 15 year old Kodak that still works well enough for me. Lighting is also an issue. I typically take 20-30 images with different light and lens combinations to highlight what I want on any coin. When I see what I want on the computer, I save that image. No, I am not a professional.

Time for more coffee.

OP
OP
Styfflin

Styfflin

Jan 8, 2013
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The problem with images may not be the camera. If handheld, the simple function of heartbeat can cause enough movement to compromise sharpness of the image. Even an average digital camera should suffice if it is held immobile by a stand or clamp of some type. I use a 15 year old Kodak that still works well enough for me. Lighting is also an issue. I typically take 20-30 images with different light and lens combinations to highlight what I want on any coin. When I see what I want on the computer, I save that image. No, I am not a professional.

Time for more coffee.

Professional coffee drinker! :)
Lighting is definitely a big issue, but the biggest culprit is the awkward combination of one hand holding a loupe while the other hand tries to shoot a cell phone photo through said loupe. With a better camera, with a better lens, on a tripod, the photo quality will be way better. My brother took some phenomenal photos of some of his coins, so I can't wait to borrow his set-up for an extended period of time.

port ewen ace

Silver Member
Dec 16, 2012
port ewen ny
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO & Equinox800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
tripod with natural daylight-- no direct sun-- it causes shadows & messes wit da mint luster :BangHead:

keep 'em comin'. :happysmiley:

Slingshot

Bronze Member
Apr 3, 2004
Southern Appalachia
Detector(s) used
Whites CM2 BFO, Harbor Freight 9 function, BH Pioneer 202, Fisher F22
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The cent looks to be struck through cloth, and the 46 nickel looks like a lamination problem. Just my 2c worth.

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think the cent itself needs a long soak in acetone myself. It may just be what some of us call adhesive doubling. I think "struck through cloth" is a bit of a stretch. A full pic of the obverse and reverse would be better than a close up.

OP
OP
Styfflin

Styfflin

Jan 8, 2013
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And...I'm back. Finally got my brother's camera, and I got pictures of ALL of my question coins. So get ready for some rapid fire.
Here are some new photos of the cent in question. I didn't give it a real acetone bath yet, but hopefully there's enough detail in these photos where it won't need to be shot again. :)

IMG_3638.jpg
IMG_3639.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions