Quarters hate me

FormerTeller

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
When I searched quarters, I would average 1 silver per $3,000 or so searched. Not worth it, and I gave it up. I did find a fair amount of errors, but not as much fun.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Ben Cartwright SASS

Ben Cartwright SASS

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett
Primary Interest:
Other
I wonder if it is because they are more noticeable?

I may try a bank bag of quarters but only if they don't have a dime bag as I would think that bags aren't much more productive than CWR's

Styfflin

Jan 8, 2013
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found ONE silver quarter in rolls. And it was a Canadian silver. Every US silver quarter I have was found in bags, including one massive collection dump.
See Big Quarter Score.

TxAg

May 7, 2017
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Looking for silver quarters has pretty much sucked for me. I think I have found 1 or 2. But if you are filling holes or upgrading your albums, finding modern clads can be productive. Plus there are error coins to be found in both State & ATB quarters. Port Ewen Ace is very good at finding these.

Styfflin

Jan 8, 2013
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd even double check that Canadian quarter with a magnet. Those sneaky modern Canadian quarters all look like silver on the edge but just aren't.

Nope, that one was definitely a silver. It was one of those coin finds you never forget.
"Silver? In a quarter roll? I can't believe it! Wait, it's not silver...it's Canadian. Wait, it's Canadian...and it's silver...it's a Canadian silver!"

port ewen ace

Silver Member
Dec 16, 2012
port ewen ny
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO & Equinox800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
about 100 boxes with 19 GW's & 1 SLQ in 4 years.

after 75 boxes I stopped the simple edge check & started error checking all coins-----
over $80 face value in Eagle & newer qtrs with errors AND ALL have at least the melt value of a silver GW, just sold the Kansas "tumor" bison for $8 8-) ---- SILVA JUST A BONUS :laughing9:

OP
OP
Ben Cartwright SASS

Ben Cartwright SASS

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett
Primary Interest:
Other
I just bought my first bag of quarters.

Started going through it, did about $50 so far. I lifted it on my lap as when I was bringing the bag in the house there was either a dirty quarter or a silver. I looked at the sides and there was a 1948 Washington, so not a skunk and still $950 more to look through!!! I have already equaled my lifetime finds of quarters!

OP
OP
Ben Cartwright SASS

Ben Cartwright SASS

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett
Primary Interest:
Other
Most errors seem to be "fly spec" errors as we call them in stamp collecting, you need a glass to see them, am I right or wrong? I always check for proofs etc and a quick scan for off-center strikes.

checking 4,000 coins with a magnifying glass would seem to take a long time.

OP
OP
Ben Cartwright SASS

Ben Cartwright SASS

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett
Primary Interest:
Other
port ewen

Is this an error? It looks like the "In God we Rust" there is a trace of a T, is it faint enough or is the error only when the T is totally missing?

rust 2.jpg

Silver Saver

Mar 15, 2017
Center of North America
Detector(s) used
Etrac- Sunray x5, x8, x12. Garrett Carrot.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So far I've been through about $2900 in quarters and have found 1 silver. 4 boxes, 1 $500 bag off machine, and rest in rolls picked up. The 1 silver came in the last roll of the the first box I did.

FormerTeller

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
I wonder if it is because they are more noticeable?

I may try a bank bag of quarters but only if they don't have a dime bag as I would think that bags aren't much more productive than CWR's

Bags are generally a LOT more productive than CWR's, as tellers generally don't have the chance to go through them first.

port ewen ace

Silver Member
Dec 16, 2012
port ewen ny
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO & Equinox800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
port ewen

Is this an error? It looks like the "In God we Rust" there is a trace of a T, is it faint enough or is the error only when the T is totally missing?

View attachment 1525805

agree with Enamel. most State obverse errors are at "q" to bust, & hair bow to rim.

reverse is where most errors occur on state issues-- cuds, cracks, & greasers.

never found an O/C, lam or clash----------YET. highest count on cracks per Eagle coin is at 7 for both sides.

most Eagles with errors are from 1992 to 1998--- P mint--- :laughing9: always :dontknow::laughing7:

missing clad layer at top of my "WANT IT" list

OP
OP
Ben Cartwright SASS

Ben Cartwright SASS

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett
Primary Interest:
Other
I am starting to look for obvious errors like the extra leaf, the closest I have come is a T that was starting to get filled. Since my bank has a customer who gets all the halves I am trying for all their dimes and quarter bags.

I tend to agree that rolls of quarters stink, I have never found a single one. So far in my whole "career" I have 4 silver quarters, did much better with my metal detector.

Here's hoping for a silver dump!

mark1982

Mar 24, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most of my silver quarters have come from reject trays at coin stars. Even better was the penny arcades at TD banks. I found probably a couple dozen silver quarters over the years when those were operating

OP
OP
Ben Cartwright SASS

Ben Cartwright SASS

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett
Primary Interest:
Other
Coin stars, I look at the reject try everytime I go by one, but have never found a single coin of any type

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread