Where do you dump??

rcs

Mar 15, 2017
Western Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I dump in coin bags as well. Good to see you post! I've enjoyed your posts as I've gone back through the forum.

TheMastermind

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2012
Pennsy
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Damn, TimZim, been a while since I seen you post!

I've resorted to re-rolling and traveling far and wide to dump re-rolled boxes. PNC and TD around me still accept coins.

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Tim Zim: good to see you are still around and CRH'g. Only two of my banks still let me dump loose coins in machines, the others take wrapped rolls ( which is sometimes better to catch a collection). Then again, I don't do halves like most of you guys because of dumping problems, but most of my banks favor dimes when I bring them in.

mark1982

Mar 24, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gota be extra careful now. It’s not like it was. Garda had a lot of issues with the armor truck drivers messing up the bags of half dollars because they hated getting them. Happened to me twice and I quit doing it. Almost lost $1,000 due to a Garda employee trying to have another employee at the warehouse empty my half bag before it was checked in so it would basically tie up my
Money for 5 months. BOA had to have investigators from as far away as Florida(I’m in Ct) come here to do investigations. Eventually a few people were fired and I got my money. A friend of mine who introduced me to CRH was having the same problem. If they see repeated half dollar bags they do whatever they can to make it take as long as possible and there is NOTHING you can do. I threatened to come to the bank with a lawyer and the police to file a report at one point

rcs

Mar 15, 2017
Western Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm fortunate to have a set up where they hand me the cash as I hand them the bag of coin. That sounds like an awful situation!

OP
OP
TimZim

TimZim

Bronze Member
Aug 3, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Am going to order 10 boxes and try to dump??

weighit

Feb 17, 2007
Northern Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX with a Big Foot coil
Gold Bug 2
I use the 2 flat boxes I get from BofA every week to turn into Chase. One branch only wanted me to use their plastic see through bag to put $1,000 in. After a few drop off's they said sorry, only commercial accounts can use the bag, I have to give them coins rolled. So they now get the boxes. I rotate between 6 branches giving up my coins, so I only see them every 6 weeks. So far they all are OK with that, I don't overload any one branch. I only buy from one BofA branch.

Ben Cartwright SASS

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett
Primary Interest:
Other
I would probably give up CRHing if I had to roll all my coins.

I mostly use coin counting machines at 12 banks within 10 miles of my house, I opened free accounts at each one so I can dump coins for no fee. I also just got an account at Middlesex Savings Bank, they have you drop off the coins and give you a receipt and count them and then deposit to your account and you take it out the next day.

I am trying to spread the wealth around so I am not dumping daily at any one bank.

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah Ben , that's what i do - I'm a member of every credit union in my area that has a member accessible coin counter , so I also spread out the dumping . I have a standing order for a box at two banks each week , and i can usually pick up a third box at another bank without an order . Three boxes a week is comfortable for me - and i have 7 coin counters available in a thirty mile radius to dump these .

weighit

Feb 17, 2007
Northern Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX with a Big Foot coil
Gold Bug 2
Problem here is any coin machine in the credit unions are charging a 3% charge to use the machine, for members only. The banks don't have machines that I can find, if they were free for memebers I would open accounts.

Ben Cartwright SASS

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett
Primary Interest:
Other
Problem here is any coin machine in the credit unions are charging a 3% charge to use the machine, for members only. The banks don't have machines that I can find, if they were free for memebers I would open accounts.

Ouch. There is one bank that charges 3% until you are 65 and they are arguing is it 65 or over 65. All the rest are free to members. If I moved out to a 30 mile radius I would add a few more banks with CC's

I feel comfortable using different banks and got accounts at each one. Even though my favorite bank has a CC (limited to $200 a day) I don't want to dump there since they will sell bags off the CC and also order boxes.

I am trying to spread out the dumps to each bank only once a month, preferred, but probably two times a month and them keep the dump to about $400-$500 each bank.

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good to see you post TZ, unfortunately, no bank near me has coin counters anymore, and those that do want to charge some crazy amount like 10% even if you bank there... good luck! You might have to reroll.

Ben Cartwright SASS

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett
Primary Interest:
Other
If I ever have to reroll I may give up hunting as the cost of the wrappers, they won't give out hundreds, and the time to do it would turn me off. For now I am happy with 10 banks with counters that are free to account holders, I opened no fee accounts at each of them, usually about $10 each, there is another bank that has 2 branches with counters that charge 3% but come July when I turn 65 they are free.

The big thing is one of the charge banks sold me the half bag, it only had $650 in it, but so far I have 5 '64 Kennedy's and 7 40%ers and still have half of it to go through

Tommybuckets

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2015
Bodymore, Metalland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal, Safari, Garrett infinium, Whites prizm 4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I bring the dumps to the branches that snipe heavily or don't ever get any action. After buying $600-$1000 or going a dozen times if I haven't found anything I assume that's a good place to dump lol. Three times now I reverted a dump bank to a pickup bank when staff changes or I ferret out a good score. Its tough to change course but you constantly have to fine tune your operations.

Ben Cartwright SASS

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett
Primary Interest:
Other
I just dumped $1000 of halves in 3 different banks counting machines, I try to limit dumps to $300-$400 per branch and got to banks that won't sell bags or I don't order halves from or in the case of Rockland Federal won't give out customer rolls

Ben Cartwright SASS

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett
Primary Interest:
Other
I was doing a search on banks with counters, not content with the 10 banks I have with coin counters and 5 banks that take boxes of coins and then credit your account a day or so later.

Found Rockland Trust they have about 35 branches with counters within 30 miles of here, 14 within 15 miles of here, I will open an account tomorrow or Thursday!

That will give me 24 banks within 15 miles with free coin counters, I can really spread it out!

TxAg

May 7, 2017
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If I ever have to reroll I may give up hunting as the cost of the wrappers, they won't give out hundreds, and the time to do it would turn me off. For now I am happy with 10 banks with counters that are free to account holders, I opened no fee accounts at each of them, usually about $10 each, there is another bank that has 2 branches with counters that charge 3% but come July when I turn 65 they are free.
Ben - To avoid buying or having to ask for wrappers, I open one end of my rolls and push the halves out. I refill the same wrapper with the searched coins and load five at a time to help with the count. Then fold down the end to close it. I always mark the roll with a big black marker in case my searched rolls end up at another branch I buy from. Sure, re-wrapping takes longer than throwing them into a plastic bag, but Wells Fargo is my dump bank and they want the coins rolled now that they have gotten rid of their coin machines (aarrgghh!).

Ben Cartwright SASS

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett
Primary Interest:
Other
I guess I have a wealth of riches when it comes to coin counters, just found another bank with them, I am opening an account on Friday, they have 40 branches and about 30 of them within 25 miles of me all with counters that take halves.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread