Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett
Primary Interest:
Other
I now have 3 rolls with silver on the end 2 are 40% I got last week

Today I just got my next two boxes of halves, I have started checking the ends for silver. The second box had a 1964 on the end, with a hole in the 9, most likely to use as jewlery.

I am not trying to decide whether to open them or leave then as is?

What would you do?

1964 end of roll.jpg

IMG_20171201_135028890.jpg

Upvote 0

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm not sure why you have a question here ? Were you thinking of selling them for some kind of premium on ebay ? I don't get the question ?

FormerTeller

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Gotta open them. If that '64 has engraving on the other side, you're looking at considerably higher value than silver.

OP
OP
Ben Cartwright SASS

Ben Cartwright SASS

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett
Primary Interest:
Other
I just think it is cool to see a roll with silver on the end, guess I will have to open them.

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I typically take a cell phone pic of ender rolls , especially if the ender is a Walker , or a Ben !

port ewen ace

Silver Member
Dec 16, 2012
port ewen ny
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO & Equinox800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
rolls higher than 226 Gm will likely have silver. the higher it is the more silver :hello2:

OP
OP
Ben Cartwright SASS

Ben Cartwright SASS

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett
Primary Interest:
Other
rolls higher than 226 Gm will likely have silver. the higher it is the more silver :hello2:

I will weigh up some rolls on my next box, I was weighing individual coins and noticed that the weights of clad coins vary quite a bit. Now I was using my grain scale that I use to measure gunpowder. Converted the weight of 11.34 grams for a clad to 175.00294 grains, a 40% should be 11.50 grams or 177.4721 grains. I was trying to find a 71D on a silver planchet

RTR

Gold Member
Nov 21, 2017
Smith Mt. Lake Va.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I find it amazing (in this day and age) someone hasen't scooped them up before you found them.Why would coin collectors dump their 'silver' after All these years, is beyond me.You would of had a Blast back in the early 60s.My parents owned a restaurant and there was nothing but silver in the register.Oh,the good ole days:)

OP
OP
Ben Cartwright SASS

Ben Cartwright SASS

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett
Primary Interest:
Other
I find it amazing (in this day and age) someone hasen't scooped them up before you found them.Why would coin collectors dump their 'silver' after All these years, is beyond me.You would of had a Blast back in the early 60s.My parents owned a restaurant and there was nothing but silver in the register.Oh,the good ole days:)

These were in a Loomis box (2 boxes). That is why I am trying to do bags as you can get a silver dump before it goes to the fed. My main bank has someone they sell all the bags to. I am trying to get another bag to sell the halves to me, so far not sure if they will, if they won't they will become half dump banks, won't do that to the bank that sells me dime and quarter bags.

OP
OP
Ben Cartwright SASS

Ben Cartwright SASS

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett
Primary Interest:
Other
I am sure they mean smoothing the back side and then do a "hobo nickel" type engraving, can be very fancy.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions