Ben Cartwright SASS

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett
Primary Interest:
Other
I have always felt that any box of halves without a single silver is a skunk, but today I went through 2 of my 4 boxes, no silver but found 17 NIFC, 2 NO FG's and 5 Proofs, 4 in one box and 1 in the other.

Would finding Proofs and NO FG's keep it from being a skunk, what about the NIFC's

What is a skunk?

IMG_20180103_192750997_HDR a.jpg

IMG_20180103_204915078.jpg

Upvote 0

TxAg

May 7, 2017
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've assumed it meant no silvers found.

FormerTeller

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Errors are debatable, but my rule is no silver.

Perhaps another way to look at it could be whether you could resell at a profit what you've found. NIFC and proofs - probably not. Errors, like I said are debatable; depends on condition, scarcity, and desirability. Silver, definitely.

Ultimately, it's up to you to define what you consider a skunk box.

OP
OP
Ben Cartwright SASS

Ben Cartwright SASS

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett
Primary Interest:
Other
I see No FG's go for $10 each and impared proofs anywhere from $2 - $3 each. NIFC are often 75 cents to $1 but to me $1 is not worth the trouble. but $10 for a No FG, to me is selling at a profit,

however that being said if I look at the time involved what you need to profit is, Trip to local bank to order boxes 1/2 hour, pickup boxes 1/2 hour, go through two boxes 3 hours, return boxes to two to three different banks away from local area 1 hour. So I spend 6 hours for every two boxes, at minimum wage here that is $66, less taxes withholding etc, it is about $40, that mean to show a profit you need 5 90% or 13 40% to break even with what you would make at McDonalds (actually around here they are paying $12). So a skunk would be less than 5 90's or 13 40's if it is about a profit.

That being said I always felt that a skunk was no silver, however I now feel that a proof that could be sold for more that 50 cents (most of them) or a No FG keeps it from being a skunk.

I will be seeing if I can sell my Proofs at the next gun show I am displaying my collection at at the end of January. I see them selling for $2-$3 for circulated proof on Ebay, not asking selling. So I will put them on the table for either $2 or $2.50 or the really nice 1976 I just got for $3 and we will see what I get.

If you only get one 40% that is $3 but a nice proof is $3 or a no FG is $5-$10 I guess to me a skunk is no Silver or Proofs or missing FG's

Last edited:
OP
OP
Ben Cartwright SASS

Ben Cartwright SASS

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett
Primary Interest:
Other
I guess I am excited over proofs as I had only found one in my life until the last 3 boxes, now I have 6 in these 3 boxes. But Silver, none in the first two boxes and then in the third box today, I found a 40% 1968, I was more excited that over the proofs. Silver is still the biggest rush

Tommybuckets

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2015
Bodymore, Metalland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal, Safari, Garrett infinium, Whites prizm 4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For me no silver = SKUNK. First box of 2018 had a Bender for me and was decent!

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Skunks = NO SILVERS, period, and that's the way it's always been assumed.

OP
OP
Ben Cartwright SASS

Ben Cartwright SASS

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett
Primary Interest:
Other
Well then I had a 2 skunk run so far this year, broke it with a 1968D 40% on the third box

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I assume no silvers found, although a proof in circulation is no longer proof.

OP
OP
Ben Cartwright SASS

Ben Cartwright SASS

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett
Primary Interest:
Other
No. A proof isn't a grade, it's how it is made. A proof can be impaired, but it's still a proof.

That is correct, you can see them being sold on Ebay as "Impaired Proof" they go anywhere from $2 to $4 depending on condition.

I am going to put all my NIFC in cardboard 2x2's and put them in a bucket labeled $2 each 3 for $5 and put them on my table at the gun show.

However I will say that silver gets me going and a skunk is PROBABLY no silver, although normally for me proofs are even more rare than 90%, before this week I had only found 1 in my life, these 4 boxes I found 5 proofs and 1 40% 1968

Scott W

Feb 7, 2011
I like to find proofs. I save all I find.
Even though they are low mintage, beautiful coins, they are basically worth 50 cents each once they are circulated.
The ones I have (4+ rolls) sit in a box in the closet.
Not only do I not look at these magnificent coins, but they represent $40 less bankroll for hunting.

OP
OP
Ben Cartwright SASS

Ben Cartwright SASS

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett
Primary Interest:
Other
Don't say circulated proofs are not worth money, Check Ebay, not the for sale but the sold buy it now listings, they are getting $2-$3 for each CIRCULATED Proof half dollar. There are alot of younger collectors who are on a budget and circ proofs sell.

I have fouind a couple proof quarters and 6 halves, but never a proof dime.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions