Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Banks wont say what Car Co services them and how far away to dump

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Aug 2012
    Massachusetts
    Whites, Garrett
    633 times
    Gold Panning, Metal detecting, beach combing, shooting, photography, genealogy, gardening
    You guys are right, a big week for me is 4 boxes of halves, that has only happened once due to the snow storm, one bank getting the coins early the other late.

I do try to keep each dump to a large coffee can which is about $350 so to get rid of 2 boxes is stopping at 3 banks. I have a map with my pickup banks and dump banks within about 12 miles so I can decide which 2 or 3 to hit.

So far each bank requires me to get 2 boxes so that is what I do. A bank I had gotten 2 boxes twice in the last 2 months (good boxes) is now saying this coming order will be my last order because it costs them too much money to order in the halves. It may or may not cost them but the head teller has a hair... and I don't think they like to do any work.

I open accounts at all the banks that I will pickup from and dump at, usually free or a $10 minimum with no monthly fees, I am slowly checking with each branch that doesn't have a coin counter if I can order halves from them, then I will do a test request to see if they can actually get them. I figure I don't want to over stress my dump banks or my pickup banks.
    Ferengi Rules of Acquisition

#59 "Free advice is seldom cheap"

#92 "Never confuse wisdom with luck"

2018 Totals: 147 40% 43 90%, Dimes 5, Quarters 45

2018 GOAL: 300 silver Currently 240/300

us
    Feb 2012
    1278 times
    Coin roll hunting
    It usually AGAINST BANK POLICY to divulge who & when armored car services are conducted, for OBVIOUS reasons. I had the same policy in force where I worked for many years.

us
    Dec 2009
    AR
    Minelab E-Trac
    977 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben Cartwright SASS View Post
    ...A bank I had gotten 2 boxes twice in the last 2 months (good boxes) is now saying this coming order will be my last order because it costs them too much money to order in the halves. It may or may not cost them...
    Of course it costs them. The coin couriers do not work for free, and bank employees receive a wage. There is an expense involved for the banks to both order and ship out coins as well as a labor fee for the bank employees to deal with you. When you find banks that are willing to enable your CRH activities for free - your $10 account is negligible - essentially you are getting free service as the bank is eating some of your CRH expense. Be appreciative.

us
    Aug 2012
    Massachusetts
    Whites, Garrett
    633 times
    Gold Panning, Metal detecting, beach combing, shooting, photography, genealogy, gardening
    I am appreciative, always pleasant. What has always killed me is that my bank with my low 6 figure account won't order halves for me, although they will dimes and they will save halves, although it is rare for them to get them.
    I realize people are doing a job and boxes cost them money, but it is like them giving free Keurig coffee in all the banks, it is good will, and it probably costs them more for the coffee than ordering the halves. It was like when I used to metal detect, often I would be told no when I asked to detect but I always thanked the people and was very pleasant.
    For the bank this is cutting me off after this order of halves, I will bring them some cookies when I pick them up and then give them a business card and say if anyone drops off any halves or large dollars I will be happy to take them.
    In business I used to say "be able to tell them to go to hell and have them looking forward to the trip"

us
    Dec 2009
    AR
    Minelab E-Trac
    977 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben Cartwright SASS View Post
    I am appreciative, always pleasant. What has always killed me is that my bank with my low 6 figure account won't order halves for me, although they will dimes and they will save halves, although it is rare for them to get them.
    I realize people are doing a job and boxes cost them money, but it is like them giving free Keurig coffee in all the banks, it is good will, and it probably costs them more for the coffee than ordering the halves. It was like when I used to metal detect, often I would be told no when I asked to detect but I always thanked the people and was very pleasant.
    For the bank this is cutting me off after this order of halves, I will bring them some cookies when I pick them up and then give them a business card and say if anyone drops off any halves or large dollars I will be happy to take them.
    In business I used to say "be able to tell them to go to hell and have them looking forward to the trip"
    I strongly suggest that you move your 6-figure account to a bank that is fully supporting your CRH activities. They've certainly earned it. And by all means let both banks know why they are getting/losing the account.

As for your coffee reference, I understand what you are saying, but I'd bet if the same person came in all the time and just took coffee and had no other interactions with the bank, then that person would be invited not to come back or the Kuerig machine would no longer be available to the public.
    FormerTeller likes this.

us
    Aug 2012
    Massachusetts
    Whites, Garrett
    633 times
    Arkie my account is only that size for a few more days, my parents both died and we sold their house and I am distributing the money to brothers and sisters so I will be soon back to looking for money to order a couple boxes. I sounded like a real snob even mentioning that but I guess I was blown away by having more money than needed for bills at one time even if it wasn't mine except a little bit.
    Gawd I can't believe how that sounded! I am embarrassed.

TD's order form doesn't even list halves. Will see at lunch today if they will actually order them now that I have talked to their corporate office. Even if they won't I will stay with them because I like the bank and the tellers are very friendly and greet me by first name every time I drop in. I tend to run hot and cold on CRHing, mostly do it in the winter when I get snowed in and can't do much astronomy, since my stroke cold affects me. I often get discouraged after a skunk streak and drop out for a couple years or so. I feel inside that my recent finds have been my youngest son Sean watching over me. He passed away at age 29 last Christmas (2016) and something made me stop at a bank and ask for CWR's for the first time in 5 years a couple months ago. Miss him more than I can say.

I have two boxes coming in from a bank I have been at for 40 years, first boxes of halves (they required 2 minimum) and just decided I will bring them cookies when I pick them up.
    Last edited by Ben Cartwright SASS; Jan 10, 2018 at 05:53 AM.

us
    Aug 2012
    Massachusetts
    Whites, Garrett
    633 times
    Just got back from TD Bank, the halves should be in next Thursday, they are happy to do it. They also said if I roll them they will then ship them back but I said no I won't do that since it makes extra work for them I take them to another bank(s) with a counter. up till now I have gotten Loomis (yellow boxes) these will be Garda. Will get extra cookies. I have been doing CRH after a 5 year layoff, now for about 6 weeks.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links