Ben Cartwright SASS

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett
Primary Interest:
Other
I keep asking banks what car company services them and they act like I am asking for nuclear codes. How do I make sure what company get's their coin counter bags? I am pretty sure that if I ask for MWR of dimes or quarters that is probably the armored car company, but...
I know on the dimes Loomis puts their names but boxes of halves I have gotten at the same bank have no name but have yellow lettering. What does Guardia use and others?

Finally I was thinking that if I can get Loomis boxes at certain banks then I would want to find a bank that uses Wells Fargo or Guardia or someone else.

However if I cannot tell how far away would you have to dump to reduce the odds of getting your own dump in a coin counter back? I live in the south Metro Boston Area.

I also would prefer not to drive more than 20 miles to a dump bank

Upvote 0

silveraddict

Jan 9, 2016
Primary Interest:
Other
I keep asking banks what car company services them and they act like I am asking for nuclear codes. How do I make sure what company get's their coin counter bags? I am pretty sure that if I ask for MWR of dimes or quarters that is probably the armored car company, but...
I know on the dimes Loomis puts their names but boxes of halves I have gotten at the same bank have no name but have yellow lettering. What does Guardia use and others?

Finally I was thinking that if I can get Loomis boxes at certain banks then I would want to find a bank that uses Wells Fargo or Guardia or someone else.

However if I cannot tell how far away would you have to dump to reduce the odds of getting your own dump in a coin counter back? I live in the south Metro Boston Area.

I also would prefer not to drive more than 20 miles to a dump bank
Some banjs are like that. They feel like it is an invasion of privacy or something. I would bet that the same service that brings them boxes takes their bags. They do not have to tell you. But, that's where they get the coins for the boxes.
When I first started and wanted to know I would joke with the teller when I brought back a box "I bet Loomis hates coming here and having to take boxes back with them" . A few times I got a teller to say " yes they do but we use Brinks".
I also found out about what time of the day they got their shipment on what day by ordering a box and asking when it would be in and staking out the bank to see for myself.
It is important to set up a good pick up and dump routine.
Good luck HH

barneyb71

Mar 6, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do a stakeout in the parking lot until you see what truck pulls in. Might have to sit there for a few days but I don’t think you’ll look that suspicious.....lol.

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some banjs are like that. They feel like it is an invasion of privacy or something. I would bet that the same service that brings them boxes takes their bags. They do not have to tell you. But, that's where they get the coins for the boxes.
When I first started and wanted to know I would joke with the teller when I brought back a box "I bet Loomis hates coming here and having to take boxes back with them" . A few times I got a teller to say " yes they do but we use Brinks".
I also found out about what time of the day they got their shipment on what day by ordering a box and asking when it would be in and staking out the bank to see for myself.
It is important to set up a good pick up and dump routine.
Good luck HH

Please tell me you're not still taking coins back to the same bank you pick up from?

silveraddict

Jan 9, 2016
Primary Interest:
Other
Please tell me you're not still taking coins back to the same bank you pick up from?
LOL no!!! I pick up at Brinks and drop off at Loomis and Garda.
I was explaining what I did in the beginning so I could set up a system and not pollute my own stream.

OP
OP
Ben Cartwright SASS

Ben Cartwright SASS

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett
Primary Interest:
Other
LOL no!!! I pick up at Brinks and drop off at Loomis and Garda.
I was explaining what I did in the beginning so I could set up a system and not pollute my own stream.

That is it in a nutshell, Currently I pick up from 4 different banks, rotate the boxes as they get upset if it costs them too much, and they do have to pay to have the halves brought in and then I use up to 20 different banks with counters to dump at

silveraddict

Jan 9, 2016
Primary Interest:
Other
That is it in a nutshell, Currently I pick up from 4 different banks, rotate the boxes as they get upset if it costs them too much, and they do have to pay to have the halves brought in and then I use up to 20 different banks with counters to dump at
You just have to remember that sometimes someone will disrupts your perfect plan and you have to go to plan B. It is all part of the game.

port ewen ace

Silver Member
Dec 16, 2012
port ewen ny
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO & Equinox800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
you are in a high traffic, tourist area with a never ending flow of new money flowing through a very large river--------------------

so_______ as a very important in her own little mind once said >>>>>>>>>>>

WHAT DIFFERENCE,----- AT THIS POINT, -------DOES IT MAKE ??? :laughing9: :laughing9: :icon_biggrin:

OP
OP
Ben Cartwright SASS

Ben Cartwright SASS

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett
Primary Interest:
Other
Yup but most people don't carry half dollars on vacation...

but there is the chance they will bring silver dimes. I think it is going to be older people who dump their jars of change that have been in the closet since the 50's (I hope)

silveraddict

Jan 9, 2016
Primary Interest:
Other
Yup but most people don't carry half dollars on vacation...

but there is the chance they will bring silver dimes. I think it is going to be older people who dump their jars of change that have been in the closet since the 50's (I hope)
Mostly it is crack heads that steal their parents collections and dump them.

mark1982

Mar 24, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It may not matter where you dump or where you pick up regardless of the coin supplier. I have banks where loomis labeled trucks bring NF string or brinks boxes, and I have had banks where Garda, or Dunbar brings loomis boxes. I’m not far from you either I’m in CT.

OP
OP
Ben Cartwright SASS

Ben Cartwright SASS

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett
Primary Interest:
Other
I looked at the Loomis site and they have a center in Taunton, 14 miles south of me and one in Wakefield 24 miles north, I didn't see anything in RI so I think that the Taunton center may handle all of RI and SE Mass so unless I can id a different service it is hard to get away from your own stream

Don't cross the streams Ray...

OP
OP
Ben Cartwright SASS

Ben Cartwright SASS

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett
Primary Interest:
Other
Pretty sure Rockland uses Loomis, they have a center in Taunton 14 miles from me and one in Wakefield 25 miles from me.

Most of the branches with counters are closer to Taunton, the one I dumped at on Saturday is halfway between the two centers so could go either way. There are 4 branches that are closer to Wakefield so less likely to show up in my pickup banks they are 5-10 miles from Wakefield and 25-30 miles from Taunton so on a pure business platform they would most likely be serviced by Wakefield, while my banks being closer to Taunton, would hopefully be serviced by Taunton, of course there are a couple branches much closer to Tauton I might be able to order half boxes from

BUT is it worth driving 35-40 minutes each way to get to the branches close to the Wakefield location, that adds about 6 gallons of gas ($15) and 2 hours of time, for that cost I could buy 2 90% junk halves!

Or am I overthinking this whole thing?

mxh5891

Feb 27, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You are way overthinking this. Remember that its all luck of the draw. Just pick up from a bank, search, dump at a different bank and repeat. Figuring out and trying to dump with different car services is just a waste of time. So is driving your dumps far away.

LooseChange

Sep 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You are way overthinking this. Remember that its all luck of the draw. Just pick up from a bank, search, dump at a different bank and repeat. Figuring out and trying to dump with different car services is just a waste of time. So is driving your dumps far away.

This is absolutely the best response. Unless you are doing 10's of thousands per week, how you dump will not affect your supply.

Order coin from whatever banks will order for you and use those banks only for sourcing - do not dump there. Try to expand your supply network at every opportunity.

Dump coin at whatever bank has an accurate automated counter (self-serve or teller-manned). Do not over-stress your dump stream - spread across a number of branches.

Slowly increase your volume from whatever source has the highest yield. If necessary due to bankroll constraints, reduce your volume from whatever sources consistently do not produce.

When all is said and done, the only thing that matters is yield. If you re-search some of your own dumps along the way, who cares! It's not like you would be getting even more if you dumped an hour away. It might be your dumps that are stirring the water that produce.

OP
OP
Ben Cartwright SASS

Ben Cartwright SASS

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett
Primary Interest:
Other
You guys are right, a big week for me is 4 boxes of halves, that has only happened once due to the snow storm, one bank getting the coins early the other late.

I do try to keep each dump to a large coffee can which is about $350 so to get rid of 2 boxes is stopping at 3 banks. I have a map with my pickup banks and dump banks within about 12 miles so I can decide which 2 or 3 to hit.

So far each bank requires me to get 2 boxes so that is what I do. A bank I had gotten 2 boxes twice in the last 2 months (good boxes) is now saying this coming order will be my last order because it costs them too much money to order in the halves. It may or may not cost them but the head teller has a hair... and I don't think they like to do any work.

I open accounts at all the banks that I will pickup from and dump at, usually free or a $10 minimum with no monthly fees, I am slowly checking with each branch that doesn't have a coin counter if I can order halves from them, then I will do a test request to see if they can actually get them. I figure I don't want to over stress my dump banks or my pickup banks.

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
It usually AGAINST BANK POLICY to divulge who & when armored car services are conducted, for OBVIOUS reasons. I had the same policy in force where I worked for many years.

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
...A bank I had gotten 2 boxes twice in the last 2 months (good boxes) is now saying this coming order will be my last order because it costs them too much money to order in the halves. It may or may not cost them...

Of course it costs them. The coin couriers do not work for free, and bank employees receive a wage. There is an expense involved for the banks to both order and ship out coins as well as a labor fee for the bank employees to deal with you. When you find banks that are willing to enable your CRH activities for free - your $10 account is negligible - essentially you are getting free service as the bank is eating some of your CRH expense. Be appreciative.

OP
OP
Ben Cartwright SASS

Ben Cartwright SASS

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett
Primary Interest:
Other
I am appreciative, always pleasant. What has always killed me is that my bank with my low 6 figure account won't order halves for me, although they will dimes and they will save halves, although it is rare for them to get them.
I realize people are doing a job and boxes cost them money, but it is like them giving free Keurig coffee in all the banks, it is good will, and it probably costs them more for the coffee than ordering the halves. It was like when I used to metal detect, often I would be told no when I asked to detect but I always thanked the people and was very pleasant.
For the bank this is cutting me off after this order of halves, I will bring them some cookies when I pick them up and then give them a business card and say if anyone drops off any halves or large dollars I will be happy to take them.
In business I used to say "be able to tell them to go to hell and have them looking forward to the trip"

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am appreciative, always pleasant. What has always killed me is that my bank with my low 6 figure account won't order halves for me, although they will dimes and they will save halves, although it is rare for them to get them.
I realize people are doing a job and boxes cost them money, but it is like them giving free Keurig coffee in all the banks, it is good will, and it probably costs them more for the coffee than ordering the halves. It was like when I used to metal detect, often I would be told no when I asked to detect but I always thanked the people and was very pleasant.
For the bank this is cutting me off after this order of halves, I will bring them some cookies when I pick them up and then give them a business card and say if anyone drops off any halves or large dollars I will be happy to take them.
In business I used to say "be able to tell them to go to hell and have them looking forward to the trip"

I strongly suggest that you move your 6-figure account to a bank that is fully supporting your CRH activities. They've certainly earned it. And by all means let both banks know why they are getting/losing the account.

As for your coffee reference, I understand what you are saying, but I'd bet if the same person came in all the time and just took coffee and had no other interactions with the bank, then that person would be invited not to come back or the Kuerig machine would no longer be available to the public.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread