Strange Half Dollar

Nu2Poo

Oct 4, 2007
Cincinnati
Detector(s) used
Whites Xlt w/ Bullseye pinpointer
The wife and I were searching a box of halves this evening. I found a 1972D clad half. It looks completely normal including the edge. However, the sound of it hitting other coins drew us to it. It has a low dull sound when hitting the table. Almost as if it is hollow. I can post pics or even upload a video so that you can hear it. Was there a planchette error for this year?
Thanks for your expertise.
Steve.

Upvote 0

Zomotion

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2013
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, coinmaster Gt Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's a magician's half. Scotch and soda trick coin. Put it in a sturdy Tupperware container and shake the $&/! Out of it. It will pop open and reveal (most likely) a 20 Mexican centavo or a British one penny on the interior of the reverse. Let us know what you find!

port ewen ace

Silver Member
Dec 16, 2012
port ewen ny
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO & Equinox800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
likely has a rotated die also and will weigh about 10 grams. I run them under HOT water then bounce off the floor-- voila---- now you have 2 coins :laughing9:

found about 9 of those--- and all sold for $8+ each

OP
OP
Nu2Poo

Nu2Poo

Oct 4, 2007
Cincinnati
Detector(s) used
Whites Xlt w/ Bullseye pinpointer
Thanks for the help everyone. ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1515721517.451967.jpg

Ogre1190

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2015
Northern Illinois
Detector(s) used
MineLab E-Trac, MineLab Safari, MineLab Explorer XS,
White's 5000 D, White's 6DB, White's 5000 D GEB
Sunray X-1 for the ML's, Garrett PP for the White's and a Backhoe
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ha! My uncle used to own some tool n die shops and I'd see those being made every now and then. I had the dime-in-penny ones.

Scott W

Feb 7, 2011
likely has a rotated die also and will weigh about 10 grams. I run them under HOT water then bounce off the floor-- voila---- now you have 2 coins :laughing9:

found about 9 of those--- and all sold for $8+ each
Wow.
Where in the world would you sell these?
I have 6 of them here, just collecting dust.
I guess I just don't believe in magic.

Zomotion

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2013
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, coinmaster Gt Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow.
Where in the world would you sell these?
I have 6 of them here, just collecting dust.
I guess I just don't believe in magic.

Per advise from PEA, I sold mine on eBay. I had accumulated over 30 of them. Sold 21 of them for just shy of $150 after fees. I sold them in lots of 3.... One I great shape, and 2 in good shape. No one was really interested in the damaged ones.

gordon and tanner

Dec 10, 2009
South East, MI
Detector(s) used
my eyes
Primary Interest:
Other
You can sell them at: https://www.facebook.com/groups/surplusmagicexchange/ but you have t be a member.
It helps a lot to have the matching coin. I sold some a few years ago. I went to my local coin shop and found a few matching Centavos and British penny to complete the sets. I also shined the coins up on a buffer.
You can open them easily with a "bang ring" sold a magic shops.
Here is a link to an Ebay listing. It shows what the "bang ring" looks like. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Scotch-and...m=263463571575&_trksid=p2385738.c100677.m4598

Good luck selling them.
Keep on searching
Dad and Tanner

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very cool, I've never seen or even been aware of them.

weighit

Feb 17, 2007
Northern Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX with a Big Foot coil
Gold Bug 2
I have 1/2 of one of the magic coins I got out of a box a few weeks ago. I just stuck it back into my drawer waiting for the other half to appear. That would be MAGIC!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions