Ben Cartwright SASS

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett
Primary Interest:
Other
Picked up four boxes of halves over the holiday weekend, but only got around to searching three.

All three boxes gave up silver.

First box:

1951 Ben
1968D

Second box:

1952 Ben

Third box:

Dateless slick Walker
1941 Walker
1963D Ben
1967 x 2
1968D x 4
1969D x 2

Very nice! I am on a box skunk streak 14 so far...

up to 3 dimes on the bag o' dimes with about 1/4 left

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Results of my tenth dime bag: only 4-Rosies. One of these days a BIG collection dump, just like that MWR box of dimes (98 silvers: 65-mercs, 33-Rosies) last Jan.2017, but this time hopefully in a bag.

Last edited:

Ben Cartwright SASS

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett
Primary Interest:
Other
Picked up a partial bag of dimes today, $384

found a single 1964 Rosie and 1 $1 President Dollar James Madison

so not a skunk

OP
OP
TheMastermind

TheMastermind

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2012
Pennsy
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Picked up a box of halves yesterday that gave up 13 keepers, three 90%ers and ten 40%ers:

1962D Ben
1964 x 2
1967 x 5
1968D x 4
1969D

one.jpg

Ben Cartwright SASS

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett
Primary Interest:
Other
Picked up two boxes of halves today, not silver enders but 2 proof enders a 1971 S and this one that I haven't opened yet, it is really nice shape

0SYEOrth.jpg

Ben Cartwright SASS

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett
Primary Interest:
Other
Skunk streak up to 16 boxes, even tried a new branch of the same bank. They are all Loomis rolls. Will try to find another bank that will order for me that is not Loomis but around here most seem to be Loomis

Oh and on another thread when I had been talking about the fact that I found 3 proofs in the halves, someone said once they circulate they magically change from proofs to circulation strikes, i.e. circulated coins. My feeling is that you can't change the method of manufacture from proof to circulation just because it gets spent, once a proof always a proof

In those two boxes there were at least 50 or more coins marked with a red slash on the face. Along with the other marked coins about 1/4 of the coins are marked telling me that out of the last 8 boxes over the last 2 months I am getting someones dumps from Loomis.

Last edited:
OP
OP
TheMastermind

TheMastermind

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2012
Pennsy
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh and on another thread when I had been talking about the fact that I found 3 proofs in the halves, someone said once they circulate they magically change from proofs to circulation strikes, i.e. circulated coins. My feeling is that you can't change the method of manufacture from proof to circulation just because it gets spent, once a proof always a proof

They become impaired proofs due to being circulated.

Ben Cartwright SASS

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett
Primary Interest:
Other
Went to 5 different banks to see if they would order boxes of halves but none would, I asked one bank who services them, Loomis or Guarda and they said they cannot tell. I mentioned I would be able to guess when the truck showed up....

what is the state secret?

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have accounts at two commercial banks and one credit union. Only one of the banks will order boxes of halves for me. I stopped at several other banks and asked because I'd be happy to open another account with the bonuses being offered, but no luck. I am probably being overly cautious with a standing order of only two boxes per week at two branches. The coin manager at one branch said she would be happy to order as many as I want, but I don't want to burden them with more boxes. The dumping at the credit union can be tricky because every time I dump is a bag change for them. If I dumped more than $1000, there would be times when a second bag change would be needed and i want to avoid that. I try to dump when they are not busy.

I have no idea why the truck is such a secret but I don't want to ask a question that makes them uncomfortable; someday I'll see the truck there.

Last edited:

Ben Cartwright SASS

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett
Primary Interest:
Other
Meg
You way of doing it is very similar to mine. I try to order at 2 to 3 different branches, and get about 2 boxes a week and will try to switch around the branches. All banks are happy to order dimes but balk at halves.
This week I will try to get two more boxes of halves and maybe 3 or 4 of dimes.

I also always ask for bags, but only two banks will sell bags, I keep getting told they have to be sent to the Fed which is bunk but I let it ride. Since I am working on a Rosie collection need silver have all the clad except some proofs I don't mind dimes although silver is usually better in halves.
I took some cookies to my bag banks and also to a bank that a teller gave me 5 silver Kennedy's

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Ben,
I haven't asked for bags yet. I've been told by the branch managers that I'm the only one who dumps halves, so I don't want to get back more of my own dumps than I might already be getting. One branch had a bag of halves that had not been changed in the last 7 years. I dumped $930 on top of what was there. Of course, there might have been some silver in that old $70, but 93% of the bag was my own dump, so I didn't bother to ask.

I have seen that halves don't flow well into the bags. When the bag gets over 90% full, the halves don't slide toward the front of the bag. They stack up in the back, just under the chute. The tellers were initially simply replacing the bags at this point even though they were short (putting a machine generated count slip inside). But then we noticed the bags were not full and they experimented with pulling the coins forward to the front of the bag. That allows for more room. I believe the slots in which the bags are placed are very slightly too narrow for the halves to flow well. I asked about switching the half dollar bag to an end slot that is slightly wider, but the tellers can't make that change with the existing programming. They may discuss it with their repair tech the next time someone overloads the machine by dumping all their coins at once.

When i was a kid growing up near you (Taunton), I got rolls of pennies, nickels and dimes in the mid 1960's. More silver than clad in those days. The tellers were not nearly as friendly in MA back then as my tellers are in MD today. I culled the rare dates and errors from those rolls and then rode my bike at night to wholesale them to coin dealers from East Taunton to Attleboro. Pretty amazing what we did when we were 10-11 years old.

After your 5/5, I'm thinking about asking if my banks have any loose halves in their cash drawers when I pick up my boxes.

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Most of my tellers have a few loose halves, and glad to part with them, when I'm picking up my dime boxes.

Ben Cartwright SASS

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett
Primary Interest:
Other
Meg
There are still banks here where the tellers have an attitude but the majority of nice. The two banks that I have been watching and getting bags seem to do about half a bag a year, but at least one of them will sell a partial bag but I don't want to ask too often, I try to let it get to 50%. The machines here have the halves at the very end on the right side. I am starting to watch dime bags to work my Rosie collection.
I always ask for halves and Ikes, the Ikes I have been selling at the gunshows for $3 each for circs. If that stops I will do what I used to is use them for coffee at McD's as the workers get a kick out of them.

I am on a skunk streak for silver from boxes, 16 boxes so far, tried a different branch of the same bank, same courier. Going to try a couple different banks to order for this coming week to see if I can shake it up. I have 4 banks that are happy to order and one that has but it is like I asked them to drink caster oil. I will also order 3 or 4 boxes from my TD Bank where I have my main accounts as they are happy to order for me even insist I take a box they have in the back. Only downside is that I seem to run about 1 silver per box of dimes, doesn't seem worth it since I can buy a junk dime for $1.50 at the coin store and that is less than the gas to get to the bank and then back to dump.
BUT, BUT, there is nothing like finding something!!!! It is such a rush!

Last edited:

Ben Cartwright SASS

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett
Primary Interest:
Other
Got two boxes of dimes (Loomis) from TD. Went through the first box, found 2 silver a 1964 and this 1959.

I almost missed the 1959 as it was really dirty and the edge didn't show well, I found it because I sift through the coins looking for proofs and also check any dates on coins that "may be" silver

TY0TaGOl.jpg

OAQODDpl.jpg

dR7jVFll.jpg

Ben Cartwright SASS

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett
Primary Interest:
Other
couldn't wait so did the second box of dimes!

Found a 1962 D rosie and a 2003 S that I needed for the Rosie collection

OP
OP
TheMastermind

TheMastermind

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2012
Pennsy
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Picked up a box of halves + $100 in CWR of halves yesterday on my lunch break, skunked on the CWR.

The box of halves gave up three keepers, one 90%er and two 40%ers:

1918S Walker

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread