Dec 29, 2014
Far North Corner of CA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT Pro and a Garrett Carrot
Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Other
About three weeks ago I posted that a teller was going to transfer $400 in large dollar coins from one branch to another for me. They finally arrived. Clearly a dump. Maybe a collection dump as they were rolled for the most part in like years. All Ikes. Haven't scrutinized them yet but this one looks and sounds different. Has that special ring to it! Haven't weighed it yet as my scale is on the fritz!

Whaddaya Say? IMG_2708.jpg IMG_2709.jpg IMG_2711.jpg

Upvote 0

LooseChange

Sep 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Whaddaya mean by "Blue Ike?"

There were two flavors of 40% Silver Ikes released: Blue and Brown - both were minted in S.F. (both 'S' marked).
Proof 40's were packaged in a slab in a brown box (commonly called brown Ikes).
Non-proof 40's were in parafilm along with a blue plastic token (commonly called blue Ikes).

OP
OP
Greastart

Greastart

Bronze Member
Dec 29, 2014
Far North Corner of CA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Other
There were two flavors of 40% Silver Ikes released: Blue and Brown - both were minted in S.F. (both 'S' marked).
Proof 40's were packaged in a slab in a brown box (commonly called brown Ikes).
Non-proof 40's were in parafilm along with a blue plastic token (commonly called blue Ikes).

Thanks!

lookingharder

Feb 27, 2015
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Whites Coin Master. Garrett AT Gold, Garrett Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Quick question Iv'e had for a while. Do you just go to the bank and ask for "silver' dollar rolls? I read a post on this site a while back that rural banks were a great place to get coin rolls. Is that true. I live in a small town with lots of banks and that might be something I could do while I'm layed up.

Just found the Beginning roll hunting post

Last edited:

LooseChange

Sep 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Quick question Iv'e had for a while. Do you just go to the bank and ask for "silver' dollar rolls? I read a post on this site a while back that rural banks were a great place to get coin rolls. Is that true. I live in a small town with lots of banks and that might be something I could do while I'm layed up.

Don't mention the 'S' word. Ask for large dollars if you want to search Ikes.

My advice, if you want to dip your toes into CRH'ing to see if it's for you . . .
- Ask the tellers at the bank that you have the closest relationship with for half dollars. Say you "want $xxx worth" and will take "any amount of loose or rolled". If there are none on site, ask them to order a box or two.

- Search those halves then dump them somewhere else. Best to be a different bank entirely for dumping, but OK to dump ONE TIME ONLY at a different branch of the same bank chain. If you continue on, you'll need a sustainable dump bank. Another temporary dump strategy is a FEE-LESS Amazon credit from CoinStar.

- If it's your thing, continue on. If you can't stomach dry spells of searching halves, search dimes. Dimes are quite consistent but are more work. Halves give larger (but less frequent) returns.

OP
OP
Greastart

Greastart

Bronze Member
Dec 29, 2014
Far North Corner of CA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Other

Just start. Spend time here, read, ask questions, and learn. Most folks here are willing and eager to teach if you're willing to learn. Just be careful. This IS addictive!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread