Chemical question on coins

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I know this ? should probably go in the COIN forum, but since there are more readers in CRH forum thought to put it here.
Question: can the Green colored PATENA that shows up on some coins as a result of oxidation/moisture etc be contagious and spread to other coins that it's touching or in the general vicinity? i.e. If coins are held in containers for a longer period of time as in storage of them.
For now, usually when I come across some cents with green PATENA on them, if it's not an important coin, I'll just pass it along and back into the wild. Comments on the chemical reaction.

Upvote 0

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
I know this ? should probably go in the COIN forum, but since there are more readers in CRH forum thought to put it here.
Question: can the Green colored PATENA that shows up on some coins as a result of oxidation/moisture etc be contagious and spread to other coins that it's touching or in the general vicinity? i.e. If coins are held in containers for a longer period of time as in storage of them.
For now, usually when I come across some cents with green PATENA on them, if it's not an important coin, I'll just pass it along and back into the wild. Comments on the chemical reaction.

Yes! Due to the chemical reaction causing Verdigris, it will sometimes become moist on the coins that it is on and that are being stored improperly. This moisture and Verdigris can transfer onto other coins that are touching the effected or infected coin. It is best to soak coins with Verdigris in Acetone to arrest the Verdigris (in most cases it will not remove the Verdigris but stops the chemical reaction), rinse with water, dry the coin well, then store in an airtight and dry environment.

Last edited:

port ewen ace

Silver Member
Dec 16, 2012
port ewen ny
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO & Equinox800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
a customer at my LCS had a binder filled with ASE's in SEALED plastic sheets in his safe. condensation in the safe caused water to form inside the SEALED packets and stained every coin. :sad11::sad7:

galenrog

Bronze Member
Feb 19, 2006
My safe has a 10 watt stick heater on every shelf to keep moisture at bay. Prevention works.

To eliminate that ugly disease on the coins you have, follow the advice huntsman53 gave. It works.

Time for another hazelnut latte. After all, the wife is buying.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread