Quin

Oct 28, 2015
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 30
Garrett Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am super excited to bring you a new Quin’s Coins YouTube series: Coin Quest. In this series, I am experimenting to see how far I can get into a Lincoln cent album using only coins that I can find coin roll hunting. 8 episodes- 8 boxes. I’ll follow up on this thread every time a new episode comes out. Here is a quick introduction to the series. Thanks for watching!

Upvote 0

GB1

Gold Member
Jul 12, 2017
East TX
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknectics eurotek pro
bounty hunter time ranger
bounty hunter quick draw 2
used a teroso compadre.
Primary Interest:
Other
nice idea sweet place mat

engine823

Dec 30, 2017
Waynesburg, KY
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Primary Interest:
Other
108 slots filled! You should throw in a place mat as a prize for the person that guesses the closest to the right amount of slots filled! :headbang:

OP
OP
Q

Quin

Oct 28, 2015
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 30
Garrett Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
108 slots filled! You should throw in a place mat as a prize for the person that guesses the closest to the right amount of slots filled! :headbang:

Great idea! I think I will do just that! Keep in mind: the memorial + shield cents alone make up for 138 slots in the collection. Probably won't have any problems filling up that portion.

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
While you're at it, just DONT select the first coin that comes across to fill an empty hole, but select "THE BEST OF THE BEST" process that I use to fill the folders for my 13-grandkids. Makes filling holes a little harder than you think. Nice try, but I don't think that there will be more than 4-Wheaties for the 1909-1939 group folder out of the 8-boxes. Be interesting to see what you get. Good luck.

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Quin, sorry to say, but I can't download your video direct from the TN Video forum line. It times out and sends me totally out of TN all together. Have you tried it yourself to search for the bug?

OP
OP
Q

Quin

Oct 28, 2015
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 30
Garrett Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Quin, sorry to say, but I can't download your video direct from the TN Video forum line. It times out and sends me totally out of TN all together. Have you tried it yourself to search for the bug?

It works fine on a computer but will not work correctly on the app unfortunately. And I think you're probably right about the '09-'39. I actually havent had a single coin from that era in 3 boxes...

OP
OP
Q

Quin

Oct 28, 2015
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 30
Garrett Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The first episode is here! I was shocked by how much of the album we were able to fill with just 5 rolls- let alone a whole box! Since there was a lot to do in the first box, I decided to split the first episode into two parts. This is part one and part two will come out next week. This box was easily one of my top 5 penny boxes of all time. Thanks for watching!

OP
OP
Q

Quin

Oct 28, 2015
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 30
Garrett Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's episode 2! The first half of this box showed a lot of promise. The second half yielded my rarest cent ever found!
Screenshot (393).png
This might not be such a big deal for some of you vets, but 39 million minted is as low as I've ever gone. I've found Indian Heads with higher mintages than that! Thanks for watching!

gordon and tanner

Dec 10, 2009
South East, MI
Detector(s) used
my eyes
Primary Interest:
Other
We just did 25 boxes of cents and did not fill a hole. Once you get down to the rare ones. It takes a lot of searching. I now fill about 2 holes per year, searching about 100 boxes.

Keep on Searching
Dad and Tanner

OP
OP
Q

Quin

Oct 28, 2015
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 30
Garrett Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We just did 25 boxes of cents and did not fill a hole. Once you get down to the rare ones. It takes a lot of searching. I now fill about 2 holes per year, searching about 100 boxes.

Keep on Searching
Dad and Tanner

How many holes are left in your collection? I am only doing 8 boxes in this series. I figure I will be at the point where I'm not filling holes anymore at that point.

gordon and tanner

Dec 10, 2009
South East, MI
Detector(s) used
my eyes
Primary Interest:
Other
We still need: 1909 vdb, 1909 vdbs, 1909s, 1910s, 1911d, 1911s, 1912d,1912s, 1913s, 1914d, 1914s, 1915s, 1916d, 1916s, 1918s, 1921s,1922d, 1926s, 1931d, 1931s, 1932, 1938s.

Cents remaining have a mintage of 15 million or less except the 1938s
22 cents needed to complete the 'Found in the Wild book"
If we find 2 this year we will be happy. If we find 3 we will be elated!

Lowest mintage that we have found in the wild 1933d at 6.2 million

Keep on Searching,
Dad and Tanner

WaterScoop

Bronze Member
Sep 12, 2017
SW Washington
Detector(s) used
Nox 800,
CTX 3030,
XP DEUS,
Excalibur II
Garrett AT Max,
Whites DFX,
Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice job, keep up the great work!

Scott (Mich)

Mar 23, 2007
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So I am wondering and got to ask some of you cent hunters, Are there more wheats being found today then say ten or fifteen years ago? The reason I ask is that for a long time all we had were the memorial cents, so a wheatie really stuck out. But now with the shield cents being out and also with the other designs from recent years, a cent not matching the memorial doesn't seem to draw the attention like it used to.

So as more old time collectors pass and their families sometimes take the "pennies" to the bank, the older wheats get sent to Loomis or Brinks or wherever, and into our hands. Some youngsters may look at a wheatie and think it is no more valuable then the memorials or current shield cents as after all, the mint is changing the designs all the time on coins - just look at the quarters - they may be thinking.

It seems like when I was a kid in the 70's you did not see too many wheats, but today the memorials are not being hoarded like the wheaties were, and instead are still circulating beside the shield cents. Anyways I was wondering if anyone that has hunted them for the last ten years or so has noticed a difference.

Happy Hunting.

OP
OP
Q

Quin

Oct 28, 2015
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 30
Garrett Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So I am wondering and got to ask some of you cent hunters, Are there more wheats being found today then say ten or fifteen years ago? The reason I ask is that for a long time all we had were the memorial cents, so a wheatie really stuck out. But now with the shield cents being out and also with the other designs from recent years, a cent not matching the memorial doesn't seem to draw the attention like it used to.

So as more old time collectors pass and their families sometimes take the "pennies" to the bank, the older wheats get sent to Loomis or Brinks or wherever, and into our hands. Some youngsters may look at a wheatie and think it is no more valuable then the memorials or current shield cents as after all, the mint is changing the designs all the time on coins - just look at the quarters - they may be thinking.

It seems like when I was a kid in the 70's you did not see too many wheats, but today the memorials are not being hoarded like the wheaties were, and instead are still circulating beside the shield cents. Anyways I was wondering if anyone that has hunted them for the last ten years or so has noticed a difference.

Happy Hunting.

I've only been hunting them for 2 years and I've been finding more wheats in recent months than ever before. I think most people just don't give a damn about pennies whatsoever. They're cumbersome and people just want to spend them to get rid of them. What you're saying makes sense though- we have had so much variety in the designs on our money in the last 20 years that people are probably becoming immune to seeing oddities.

OP
OP
Q

Quin

Oct 28, 2015
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 30
Garrett Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is Episode 3! Lots of great stuff in this box, including the rarest Lincoln memorial cent in amazing condition!
Screenshot (6).png
Here are a few of the other shiners that I was able to pull out of this box.
Screenshot (19).png Screenshot (26).png
If you want to see the full hunt, here is a link to the video:

Immy

Silver Member
Mar 12, 2005
Vegas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You got my three cents, or whatever you earned from me watching your monetized vid, but don't make it worse by slapping a misleading and clickbaity title like "rarest Lincoln penny ever" on it, unless you found an 09-S VDB. Your vids are a great resource for people just getting into collecting via CRHing. Don't ruin it by being deceptive.

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Gordon & Tanner, & Quin
This filling folder idea is what I've been working on now for years for my 13-grandkids. I just wish that I had done it with my own 5-kids as they were growing up, now it's too late. Now I go thru cent boxes, picking out the "best" looking coins. Then when I have plenty of the BEST coins, I then go thru them (the BEST) again to find the "BEST OF THE BEST" for them to put in their folders. Once I get back into my older cents that are stored away, they should be able to have filled all but the Key & Semi-Key dated cent coins.

GB1

Gold Member
Jul 12, 2017
East TX
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknectics eurotek pro
bounty hunter time ranger
bounty hunter quick draw 2
used a teroso compadre.
Primary Interest:
Other
you should order a book for Canada coins

OP
OP
Q

Quin

Oct 28, 2015
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 30
Garrett Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You got my three cents, or whatever you earned from me watching your monetized vid, but don't make it worse by slapping a misleading and clickbaity title like "rarest Lincoln penny ever" on it, unless you found an 09-S VDB. Your vids are a great resource for people just getting into collecting via CRHing. Don't ruin it by being deceptive.

A lot of people refer to anything after wheats as “Lincolns” and the thumbnail portrays the exact coin I’m talking about. If I was referring to an ‘09-S VDB, don’t you think I’d put it front and center?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions