Why keep NIFC Halves?

renegade_7

Jun 10, 2004
Missouri
So after a few years I have returned to Coin Roll Hunting. I usually only look for silver, 40% & 90%. But I noticed the term NIFC, and now I know what the term means. I found two today in my first box. Are they worth anything now or are these to become of value in the future? Is that why this community is hanging on to them? Please give me a reason not to dump them.

Upvote 0

Zomotion

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2013
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, coinmaster Gt Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I keep a few for my albums but that's it. Catch and release on the rest.

Scott W

Feb 7, 2011
Don't just dump them.
Spend them at the store. Leave them as tips. Use them to buy gas.
NIFC? I'll show them.
Stick it to da man!

TxAg

May 7, 2017
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I keep them all for now with plans to cull them down to a set of the nicest ten I can find. Building Kennedy Dansco albums for the grandkids as heirlooms with a page inserted in the album explaining how I got started in coin collecting and where the coins came from. They're too young now (2-5 yrs old), but plan to retire very soon and coin collecting is something I can do with them and hopefully get them interested in the hobby.

Echoplex

Feb 28, 2015
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, MXT All Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I feel like NIFCs are like a crappy consolation prize for not finding silver. They help keep some of us from feeling like we completely lost, and that's probably why I keep mine, if I'm being honest.

port ewen ace

Silver Member
Dec 16, 2012
port ewen ny
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO & Equinox800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
same as saving Wheats for the 2 cents & more--- anything you get over face is PROFIT. choosers can't be beggars :happysmiley:

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
At least wheat cents are well over half a century old , an obsolete U.S. coin design- and liked by just about everybody - unfortunately the same cannot be said of non silver nifc's (with the exception of impaired proofs and unc. set crack outs ) The powers that be at the mint made the pitiful decision( sometime in the early nineties I think ) to degrade the design of the Kennedy half . The bust of Kennedy is smaller ,lacking in sculptural depth - basically a lower relief coin - a side by side comparison shows the disappointing choice made by the mint .All of this rant to give a hearty thumbs down to the saving of anything other than Silver and other impaired proofs , and high relief original profile unc. set crack outs .

Johnnybravo300

Bronze Member
Jan 3, 2016
South of Gunnison, Gold Basin
Detector(s) used
F2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I never keep them. I have enough clad around with my copper cent and nickel hoarding, don't need worthless circulated nifc's. They hold no value worth keeping for me.
They may be worth something to collectors and a small few that want them but it's a small market of people filling books. They won't ever be worth anything and there is alot out there.

Scott (Mich)

Mar 23, 2007
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've always kept the ones I've found, in the hopes that one day there would be enough collectors so that the value of them would finally climb. I guess it is all a supply and demand thing. Even though some of the NIFC's have lower mintages like some of the higher valued earlier Kennedys, they never have become that popular or valuable. And I can keep mine because I do not hunt a whole lot of halves nowadays so it won't break my wallet.

OP
OP
renegade_7

renegade_7

Jun 10, 2004
Missouri
So after a few years I have returned to Coin Roll Hunting. I usually only look for silver, 40% & 90%. But I noticed the term NIFC, and now I know what the term means. I found two today in my first box. Are they worth anything now or are these to become of value in the future? Is that why this community is hanging on to them? Please give me a reason not to dump them.

Well thanks to all who replied. The answers were what I figured. Thanks for helping me decide. I am dumping or spending(Putting them back in circulation) all I find. Only really interested in 90% and 40% silver, and the few oddities CRH can provide. Hope you all find plenty of silver.....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions