Why mark the coins?

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
You answered your own questions. Chances are probably 1-in-a-billion that they come back in 6-months.

JJDEMARAY

Mar 18, 2011
Minnesota
If you are doing large volume, finding where the coins end up is important. You want to dump coins in a bank that has a different courier service than the one you pickup from. I mark worn 71 and 76 coins. It works for me, but it's not for everyone.

HH,JJ

lookingharder

Feb 27, 2015
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Whites Coin Master. Garrett AT Gold, Garrett Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My girls used to draw letters and other marks on dollar bills to see if they would ever get them back. Small town amusement I guess.

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
JJ: since you mark coins, have you ever got your own coins back, and if so, what vol & frequency?

Scott W

Feb 7, 2011
My favorite good coin roll finds are the ones that show up right between two marked coins.

Last edited:

LooseChange

Sep 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't mark coins. It is utterly useless - no matter how much volume you do. All that marking dumps accomplishes is rubbing the hobby in the face of the banks and coin processors - that they are being manipulated and taken advantage of for this frivolous enterprise of ours.

Don't forget that, essentially, the only way that half dollar bags ever fill is if you or some other hunter dump into them. Either you are getting stuff that is stirred up by another hunter, or you are stirring stuff up for yourself (or for another hunter). The only input you should use to guide you where to dump is wherever they take your dumps for cash. The only input you should use to guide you where to source is wherever produces keepers at an acceptable rate.

JJDEMARAY

Mar 18, 2011
Minnesota
Don't mark coins. It is utterly useless - no matter how much volume you do. All that marking dumps accomplishes is rubbing the hobby in the face of the banks and coin processors - that they are being manipulated and taken advantage of for this frivolous enterprise of ours.

Don't forget that, essentially, the only way that half dollar bags ever fill is if you or some other hunter dump into them. Either you are getting stuff that is stirred up by another hunter, or you are stirring stuff up for yourself (or for another hunter). The only input you should use to guide you where to dump is wherever they take your dumps for cash. The only input you should use to guide you where to source is wherever produces keepers at an acceptable rate.

You believe what you want to believe, and I'll do what I know works.

HH, JJ

LooseChange

Sep 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

HH, JJ

Sorry Mary, but this isn't about you. Why try to hijack OP's post and make it that way?

renegade 7 asked a specific question. You gave your opinion to OP and others (including me) have done the same. That's enough. Getting whiny over it isn't persuasive.

LooseChange

Sep 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IT'S STOOOPID :BangHead::BangHead:

actually, it's ST-OOO-ooo-OOO-ooo-PID
What happens is someone marks some coins and dumps them somewhere believing that they are about to learn the secrets.
Then, they see some of their marked coins and go AH-HA, I figured it all out.
It is the classic case of seeing evidence of exactly what you are looking for - regardless of any other observable evidence.

It's like putting green food coloring down your sink every day for month and then "discovering" that that made the water in the pond at the golf course turn green after awhiile.

GlenDronach

Bronze Member
Aug 21, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

HH, JJ

JJ, Are you dumping and picking up from different suppliers? Are you finding them back in your own supply?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread