AT-PRO & Equinox800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IMG_7381.JPG

cut the ends wit da blade (if in NY--- be sure you have a permit),

the scat goes in a box,

yer LOOOSERS in da bag--:angry4::cussing::sad11:

loupe locked & loaded --

eye protection to scan a short stack (both sides---dum, dum)---- zip the bag for a trip to the "dump" :laughing9:----

almost forgot----:laughing7:

if youze get a good one ------:dontknow:

well.........???

figger that one out yerself :tongue3:

Upvote 0

Scott (Mich)

Mar 23, 2007
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think you are describing the same way that I have cut open the paper machine wrapped rolls. I take my pocket knife (which is not really carried in my pocket outside of my farm nowadays) and I stick it through the end of the roll, without damaging the end coin, and I pull up. Most times the paper comes off in a ring. I do the same thing with the other end. This just takes a few seconds and you have a roll opened.

I have watched a lot of CRH-ing youtube videos just to see how others open their rolls and I always think to myself "you guys are going about it in a too time consuming or difficult way", most times with just their fingers. The closest I've seen someone do it to the way I do is when a youtuber used a knife, but he stuck it in the middle of the roll to undo the wrapper. I wanted to shout "no no, do the ends!"

Heck, if you don't have a knife, just get some kind of pointy metal thing like a small screwdriver even. Take your coin roll and slide the pointed metal object lightly and push it through the paper end and pop it off. Like I mentioned above, then end most times will come off as a paper ring. Now do both ends. Then the paper will release the coins. Really easy and quick.

Now unless you need to leave the rolls undamaged to use them again, this works.

Quin

Oct 28, 2015
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 30
Garrett Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No way...I have the exact same knife

OP
OP
P

port ewen ace

Silver Member
Dec 16, 2012
port ewen ny
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO & Equinox800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Scott-- you and I are Masters :headbang:----
if others get the same knife like Quin and I have :dontknow:------
they can be Masters too :laughing9: had the Victorinox since the early '80's :icon_thumright:

the box was stinkola :BangHead::BangHead:--- got 2 more sitting at BofA--- gotta go git 'em "2day" :tongue3::happysmiley:

Styfflin

Jan 8, 2013
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just rip them open by hand. Like a savage.

Johnny5

Feb 19, 2011
Detector(s) used
Minelabs CTX 3030, Excalibur and Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I bite the edge of the paper to get it started. It works for me as I don't have long fingernails.

weighit

Feb 17, 2007
Northern Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX with a Big Foot coil
Gold Bug 2
I only cut them open if and when I can put the loose coins into a bag for return. But here I unroll the end of each roll using a small screwdriver and slide the coins out, check each coin. If no silver I just slide the coins back into that same paper roll and put back into the box with that roll top mashed down. If a silver coin or coins are removed, I install a replacement non silver coin or coins and still put the roll back into the box. The bank takes the box I return and then they open each roll and drop the coins into a bag to be sent out. If I put it in the bag they will not credit my account for 7 days.

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah ! Victorinox 80's vintage - small knife blade , pop the ring off each end - very efficient !!

Ben Cartwright SASS

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett
Primary Interest:
Other
I have a rail cutter from my HO train set, it allows the cutting blades to sit flat on the coin and I cut and tear the end of the roll, flip to the other end, cut that end off and then unroll the paper, nice and neat.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I also just rip them open like a savage. But haven't done many rolls in the last year.

OP
OP
P

port ewen ace

Silver Member
Dec 16, 2012
port ewen ny
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO & Equinox800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
B of A sucks. I have accounts at all four other banks in town, but not B of A.

BofA saves *STAR* notes, Silver Certs., all odd paper notes, orders halves & dollars with availability within 2 days every week, have all other boxes of coins on hand, pays me 3% on my card with a 10% bonus on top for redeeming online and depositing into the checking & $25 per quarter on my other card, gives free checking with my direct deposit------------------------ :BangHead: :angry4: :cussing: :sad11: --- gotta finds me a better bank :dontknow::laughing9:

OP
OP
P

port ewen ace

Silver Member
Dec 16, 2012
port ewen ny
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO & Equinox800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I also just rip them open like a savage. But haven't done many rolls in the last year.

EEEWWWW, how's the used gum taste :laughing9::laughing9:-- looks like kitty could shred a roll with one swipe O' da paw :dontknow::icon_cat:--- prolly kick the snot out of a grizzly :laughing9:

Ben Cartwright SASS

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett
Primary Interest:
Other
BoA, now requires either direct deposit or a minumum balance of $1,500 I got rid of them some years ago, hate them

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I use a very small pocket knife like Scott(Mich) does. Hold roll in left hand, poke the end of roll with blade, pull up to remove paper ring, rotate 360 to do the other side, then grab middle of coin roll paper end and unroll while still in left hand, rim search, dump rejects, ALL DONE WHILE STILL HOLDING KNIFE. I can do an entire box of dimes in about half hour - 45 minutes.

silveraddict

Jan 9, 2016
Primary Interest:
Other
I only cut them open if and when I can put the loose coins into a bag for return. But here I unroll the end of each roll using a small screwdriver and slide the coins out, check each coin. If no silver I just slide the coins back into that same paper roll and put back into the box with that roll top mashed down. If a silver coin or coins are removed, I install a replacement non silver coin or coins and still put the roll back into the box. The bank takes the box I return and then they open each roll and drop the coins into a bag to be sent out. If I put it in the bag they will not credit my account for 7 days.
That is the same routine I have to do to be able to exchange for cash.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread