Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Silver Quarters From Coinstars?

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Aug 2012
    Massachusetts
    Whites, Garrett
    653 times
    Gold Panning, Metal detecting, beach combing, shooting, photography, genealogy, gardening
    Is there another reject tray other than the one on the bottom front that is like a small cup?
    BigWaveDave likes this.
    Ferengi Rules of Acquisition

#59 "Free advice is seldom cheap"

#92 "Never confuse wisdom with luck"

2018 Totals: 148 40% 44 90%, Dimes 16, Quarters 45

2018 GOAL: 300 silver Currently 253/300

us
    Sep 2011
    Denver, Colorado
    Garrett AT Pro, AT Gold, ATX, MH7 (oldie!) Minelab Explorer SE Pro
    1304 times
    Keith, 15 bucks is not good? lol
    Pacific Searcher, those are nice #'s in that amount of time!
    I've managed two rosie's, a 1940 quarter, several wheats including one steel, (a real nice 43s) a bunch of foreign coins and a bunch of regular change.
    First rosie was in the reject with a zinclon. Second was actually on the ledge next to the basket stacked up with a plastic Lincoln cent and a big $5 hong kong coin.
    The steal wheat was with a bunch of regular change and in the reject bin. The 40 quarter was in the reject bin with a new quarter and dime.
    Several times I have scooped up a good handful outtat the bin only to find just regular change.
    Also, I find change in the basket, up on top of the machine or on top of any close countertop or top of the recycle bins, etc.
    My very first silver from the coinstar was down through the holes in the basket. It's a small sterling box chain necklace. I keep a new #2 pencil with two way tape on the erasure end and fish things out. No gold.....YET!
    SilverLunker and Swaveab like this.

Charter Member
    us
    Sorry Honey, I can’t. I’ve got plans with my metal detector.

Nov 2013
    Ft. Myers FL
    Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, the Bounty Hunter and Deteknix Quest Pro are collecting dust.
    12186 times
    Metal Detecting
    Banner Finds (1)
    Honorable Mentions (2)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben Cartwright SASS View Post
    Is there another reject tray other than the one on the bottom front that is like a small cup?
    Yes, there is an internal reject chute that swallows keepers, and doesn’t include or tabulate the total of the customers change... only about 10% makes it to the external reject tray....
    It is called the “dirt cup” and no doubt every Coinstar rep has a hell of a collection.
    I invite you to visit my profile, look what I've found!

us
    Mar 2017
    154 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by Swaveab View Post
    I have to say that I've found just about everything else 25 cents and under out of coinstars, but no silver quarters. Has anyone else found silver quarters or does the coinstar machine accept those? It kicks out the silver Rosies due to weight so I would assume it should do this for a silver Washington too. Anyone getting them?
    I found two last year, a 1955 and a 1957-D. They're out there, but you'll have far better luck with dimes. It's been 40 years since I found one in change.

Mar 2012
    407 times
    My father told me when they switched in 1964 from silver to clad the quarters disappeared pretty quickly. His family owned a restaurant that had a juke box in it back a long time ago during the Savin rock days in Connecticut. Not sure if any of you older guys remember that. I am to young. Anyway he said every Friday the owner of the juke box used to come in and my father who was about 12 at the time would look through all the silver coins and pick out the ones he wanted and his father would give the man the money. He said quarters were tuff to find back then even a couple years after the switch.

As others have said they circulate probably the most and they are easiest for people to see in pocket change. Dimes go unseen for the most part.

us
    Jul 2015
    Southwest PA
    Safari
    205 times
    Coins and valuable metals
    mark1982, I've no doubt a silver quarter is more readily seen and maybe that is the reason for not being found in a coinstar machine, but anyone who is that concerned of silver will look for the silver dimes as well. I'm thinking there's another factor involved and may even be dropping to that internal catch due to the high weight compared to a clad. Who knows? I just know I haven't gotten one as of yet even though many dimes have passed through. Someone checking for silver quarters will look for silver dimes as well and that's my thought on the theory of those just spotting them quicker.

Charter Member
    us
    bolle

Sep 2014
    W. Nevada / N. CA
    XP Deus; Minelab E-Trac; Son (Wyatt) uses XP Deus!
    2134 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    We have a couple......but more dimes than anything else.
    We might not be able to take it with us; but at least we can enjoy it after finding it!!!

Charter Member
    us
    Fly Navy!

Jun 2008
    York County, PA (USA) Brevard County, FL (USA)
    10061 times
    Found this...

"...The machines are calibrated to accept coins which fit a pre-determined size range, weight range and material composition. If the coin is not within those ranges in size and weight the machine will reject it. The range is limited and corresponds to expected wear for the coins during its lifetime. Coins which are damaged will be rejected as will foreign coins, or items that aren't the correct material composition. Sometimes the machines will make a mistake in sorting and if you run the coin a second time it will process. A pre-1965 US coin made of silver will reject as the material composition won't be recognized by the machine. The same is true for wartime silver nickels (1942-1945), steel pennies and other oddities..."
    .:: We SaluteOur Veterans ::.

"A free people ought to be armed." - George Washington (January 7th, 1790)
    ..: Criminals obey "gun control" laws in the same manner politicians follow their oaths of office :..

TreasureNet

us
    Aug 2008
    Ace 350
    286 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    Got one today - 1964. Also got two Canadian dimes and a lithium watch battery.

Maine_Jim
    CoinFetcher likes this.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links