Nothing ventured--Nothing gained (boxes from banks)

renegade_7

Jun 10, 2004
Missouri
I know everyone says you should do it, but I don't always agree. Last week I went to some local banks to ask for any halves they might have. Well, first I was surprised to see how many banks didn't have any. Some had a few rolls, I took them. But one bank had $300.00 in a box. Now I just knew this had to be someones dump. Everyone says you should take them, so I did. But I knew this was a dump by the way one side of the roll was re-rolled. IT WAS! If the bank has that many or more, I just ask for two rolls, to be nice. Every time I take that many from a single bank, ($300-$500) they are dumps, and I found zero silvers. However, this time I did get one 40%. This one was overlooked by someone who only inspects the edges. This one has dirty edges that looked like copper. It was a 1968. So I got lucky. On a better note, I went to another town yesterday to pick up some stuff, and stopped by a few banks. I picked up $150.00 in rolls and $12.00 loose. I got two 40% from the loose and zero from the rolls. Go figure. At least they did not appear to be dumps. Anyway, nothing ventured, noting gained; I guess.....

Upvote 0

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just because some of what a bank has is someone else's dumps, doesn't mean every roll is. The "take a few rolls" sample simply doesn't work. That's being lazy. You will miss silver. One of my very first solid rolls (and my first Walker and 90% silver proof from CRH) came from a bank that also had over $1000 worth of obvious dumps. My very best score came from a bank that had $780 in CWRs. 25 rolls contained no silver, while the rest were all silver, sans 9 coins. I shudder to think what would have happened had I only bought a few rolls. I possibly would have missed what will likely be my all time biggest score. If you want to find all the silver you can in this hobby, you buy them all. There are no shortcuts. If you are not willing to go through others' dumps to get to what you want, then you most likely won't be all that successful in this hobby. Its similar to a metal detectorist that doesn't want to dig any trash. The two simply go together.

OP
OP
renegade_7

renegade_7

Jun 10, 2004
Missouri
It's not about shortcuts or laziness. Understand, I only search for silver, no proofs, no NIFC, or other oddities. When I dump, you can rest assured that I did not leave any silvers behind. I do understand that if a bank had $780.00 and maybe $500.00 was a dump, and the rest maybe a collection turned in, yes, I would miss them. But come on, what's the odds? Does it happen? You bet your a-- it does. But again, what are the odds? I do appreciate your response though.

Zomotion

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2013
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, coinmaster Gt Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's not about shortcuts or laziness. Understand, I only search for silver, no proofs, no NIFC, or other oddities. When I dump, you can rest assured that I did not leave any silvers behind. I do understand that if a bank had $780.00 and maybe $500.00 was a dump, and the rest maybe a collection turned in, yes, I would miss them. But come on, what's the odds? Does it happen? You bet your a-- it does. But again, what are the odds? I do appreciate your response though.

What are the odds? ??? If we all looked at our averages on what we find vs what we search... Odds are we would all quit.

For Cwr you have to buy them all. It only takes one roll. Some of my best scores come from other searchers dump banks... Because they don't buy there. But you have to go through the dumps. What is $280 more in your example... 5 mins of searching. The risk in my mind is not worth it.

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The odds are that if you buy them all you have a 100% chance you didn't leave any silver behind! Always buy them all!

weighit

Feb 17, 2007
Northern Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX with a Big Foot coil
Gold Bug 2
I look at this as it is a hobby, if you want to not buy them all, good for you, but don't complain that you are not finding silver as often as you would like. I buy them all, someone's dump is OK, if I find a coin that got missed, it is one more for me. If they were checked well, it is just another hunt that failed to produce, I get used to finding nothing. It is a hobby, not a business, so it is only my time being used. I go out of my way to find halves, and buy them all when ever I can. Hope you get lucky and find a bunch on your next hunt.

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
It's not just about buying them all and assuring yourself of finding 100% of what they offer. It is also about creating relationships. If you make your rounds to a network of banks and you become known as the guy that buys them all, the banks will look forward to you taking these PIA coins off their hands. Give them your contact info, and they will likely call you to take the coins off their hands so they don't have to account for them each night in their drawer.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread