Eureka - finally found a bank that will sell me bags off the machine!

Ben Cartwright SASS

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett
Primary Interest:
Other
Was dumping halves today and went to dump at a new bank. I have an account there be have never been to that branch. As I was waiting for a teller who had some halves I got talking and before I could ask if they sell bags they mentioned that they have a customer who buys the penny bags. I asked if I could buy bags and they said yes but the halves take a couple years to fill, theirs was about 25% full so it would be a while. I said I would be back next week to fill the bag as I am getting two boxes this coming week. They then checked the bag for me and it was 40% because I had just put $200 into it. but the quarters were full and they already had a full bag of quarters in the vault. I bouight the one from the vault and they are holding the other bag for me for next Saturday!

I don't have good vibes about quarters, hard to find any, and I took a quick look and don't see any silvers through the plastic but will search while I watch Golf, and will get the half bag next week!

Upvote 0

Oquario79

Sep 5, 2015
NC/SC Border
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is my next goal too. So far I have bought bags but from customers and not the machine..

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Ben:
Why would you want to load halfs into a machine that you want to buy later. I would wait until the bag only needs $50-$75 to top it off, then TOP IT OFF to buy it before someone else does.

OP
OP
Ben Cartwright SASS

Ben Cartwright SASS

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett
Primary Interest:
Other
They told me that the bag has been in there for almost 2 years and is still 25% full, they rarely get halves, based on that it could be another 6 years before it is full and by then they may not be willing to sell the bag.
So far I found 1 silver in the quarter bag I got today. I will get the other Saturday. My plan is to load the bag in order to check the $250 worth of halves that are already there, Most may think it stupid but I am going to do it rather than wait several years. I will also let them know that I will buy their dime and quarter bag each time it is filled. They already have someone getting the penny bags.

I realize that most will be mine and if I am careful about not tipping the bag I should be able to blow through the top layers.

Oh and look at my signature, back in 2010 I was at my dump bank where I was dropping rolled halves. I asked if they had any halves knowing I had dumped about 25 rolls there. They had 32 rolls, I took them all. I hadn't marked my rolls, now I only use coin counters, and about the 5th roll I opened had two Walker enders and when I tore it open it was solid Walkers all the way back to 1918. 3 rolls later I found another solid roll of silver.

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Ben: do whatever works best for you, keep stacking & HH. DozerD

OP
OP
Ben Cartwright SASS

Ben Cartwright SASS

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett
Primary Interest:
Other
There were two silver Quarters, a 1964D and a 1952

that is about what I expected with Quarters

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I asked if I could buy bags and they said yes but the halves take a couple years to fill........
At least you have a bank with a machine. Aa I mentioned in another thread there are only 4 banks in my entire county and not one has a dump machine.

I have joined two of the banks and one said they will accept all the coins I bring in but they have to be rolled with my account number on them.

weighit

Feb 17, 2007
Northern Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX with a Big Foot coil
Gold Bug 2
Is it safe to assume that the coin machines in the banks your using are free? Not charging you a fee of some percent to use? Here they charge ALL customers 3-5% to use the coin machine. That makes it not worth it to me. And they will not sell any bags off any machine.

OP
OP
Ben Cartwright SASS

Ben Cartwright SASS

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett
Primary Interest:
Other
If they charged I would stop CRHing as I won't take the time to roll.

I hate to say it cyberdan but I have 30 banks within 10 miles that have coin counters that are free to depositors, I have a $10 account at each one. It is actually 7 Banks but multiple branches. This area is bad for my Astronomy due to so built up but good for dumping

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hate to say it cyberdan but I have 30 banks within 10 miles that have coin counters that are free to depositors

Even when I lived in SoCA (as far as I knew) only two banks had a coin machine. One was a Korean bank (big shopping center) and very little English was spoken there to ask about signing up for an account. But, they sure understood me when I asked for halves and were glad to get rid of them.

(warning, changing subject) A few years ago at another Korean bank across the street (small strip mall) that also usually had halves. I was bored at my desk at work and turned on local ABC news on the internet. It was a live report with helicopter coverage. This little bank was being robbed and the bad guy was inside. This bank always had a Korean "guard" at the front door. No idea where he was when this all started, probably out in the parking lot having a smoke. I don't remember the full outcome but I do remember the front window got broken out. Only 3 or 4 women worked there and next time I drove that route (maybe 3-4 months later) The bank was gone.

FingerChili

Feb 17, 2018
SF Bay Area, California
Detector(s) used
Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There were two silver Quarters, a 1964D and a 1952

that is about what I expected with Quarters

How many rolls is that? I've been thinking about roll hunting, but just a few at a time.

I was, in a past life, in the arcade business. I heard stories about kids bringing in grandads collection and dumping them into street fighter or whatever, but I never started searching until recently. The last 10+ rolls I got one silver.

Last edited:

Noah_D

Bronze Member
Dec 14, 2017
Illinois (prev. NE Ohio)
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Simplex+, Garrett ACE 300, Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
How many rolls is that? I've been thinking about roll hunting, but just a few at a time.

I was, in a past life, in the arcade business. I heard stories about kids bringing in grandads collection and dumping them into street fighter or whatever, but I never started searching until recently. The last 10+ rolls I got one silver.

lucky... lol. I've searched about $4-500 worth and haven't found a single one.

OP
OP
Ben Cartwright SASS

Ben Cartwright SASS

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett
Primary Interest:
Other
just got a bag of halves, it filled in 5 months which is a bad sign meaning a dumper. The manager said there were several people including a couple women who needed help using the machine.

So far when through about $60 worth and found a 1967, but in looking through the plastic I don't see any silver, means there won't be much. I will work it over the next week.

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Ben: let us know the final score. At least you were able to pull the bag, at least one so far.

PetesPockets55

Bronze Member
Apr 18, 2013
Indian River Co., Fl
Detector(s) used
AT MAX & Carrot, Nokta Pulse Dice (:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Seems like if you wait to be only $50-75 left to fill the bag someone else could fill it and snag it. I think I've read that on here before where someone bought a bag and after they left they found a note inside with a person's name, that the bag was being saved for.

OP
OP
Ben Cartwright SASS

Ben Cartwright SASS

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett
Primary Interest:
Other
That depends on the manager. My bank the manager keeps me informed of how much is left and holds the bag for me even in the face of someone asking for it because they filled it. That has been the case 2 times of the 4 bags I have gotten

I bring them sweets!

FormerTeller

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Filling in five months doesn’t mean a dumper. Five weeks maybe. I fill a bag literally every week.

OP
OP
Ben Cartwright SASS

Ben Cartwright SASS

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett
Primary Interest:
Other
Filling in five months doesn’t mean a dumper. Five weeks maybe. I fill a bag literally every week.

around here it does, both banks (different banks not just different branches) typically took 18 months to 2 years to fill. One of them has now gotten $86 in halves in 5 months, at that rate it will be another 89-9 years to fill

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread