Ben Cartwright SASS

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett
Primary Interest:
Other
I have some replica coins, the quality of them now is scary, I mark each one with "COPY" so they cannot be confused.

I have started scrollsawing them and was thinking of keyfobs or jewelry but got thinking outside the box, or inside the box as the case may be.

I could still scrollsaw out different parts such as eagles or use whole coins and make paperweights etc. using lucite. I have a Mercury Dime from 1941 that my Dad had as a key fob cast in plastic. I bet people would buy them on Ebay or at a gun show.

This would also be a way to use NIFC coins, make paperweights with them and then sell them

IMG_20180210_164416080.jpg

IMG_20180218_151446604.jpg

Upvote 0

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Ben:
Can you cut the reverse of the SLQ flying eagle, as a set of earrings? I have many many worn dates that are just now silver bullion value. What half dollar was used in the above cutout, I don't recognize it.

lairmo

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2009
SW MO
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro/ Fisher M-Scope 1280-X
They do this at Silver Dollar City in Branson, MO. Sometimes they plate areas of them in gold..always thought it was pretty cool. Some of them are cut into many pieces (puzzles).
67b88f1b-a970-42cf-bbbf-0e820f7b87ad.jpg

OP
OP
Ben Cartwright SASS

Ben Cartwright SASS

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett
Primary Interest:
Other
The half with the eagle was an 1839 Seated Liberty replica.

I have several SLQ replicas coming in soon so I can practice on them. I plan to cut out the eagles. I was thinking an interesting paperweight or set of drink coasters would be various eagles from different replica coins.

So the short answer is yes I can, but other than 40% Kennedy's I can't bring myself to cut up a silver coin, even though the SLQ costs me $1.20 each as a replica, the real one's bullion is about $3.50 to $4, isn't it?
I know people who do that but so far I haven't been able to do it myself, maybe as I get better. I have cut the designs out of several state and NP quarters.

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Now that's what you call a WALKING LADY LIBERTY. Very nice artwork, and must be very very difficult to cut & handle while making.

OP
OP
Ben Cartwright SASS

Ben Cartwright SASS

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett
Primary Interest:
Other
They do this at Silver Dollar City in Branson, MO. Sometimes they plate areas of them in gold..always thought it was pretty cool. Some of them are cut into many pieces (puzzles).
View attachment 1553231

That would break my heart to do that. I have one that I bought as a template or to compare against, it is the reverse of the Walker

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread