Arizona battles the rampant invasion of cactus plague--- will a wall help ?????

port ewen ace

Silver Member
Dec 16, 2012
port ewen ny
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO & Equinox800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
this was the final winner from $1000 bag of QTRS. note the covered initials-- and the long crack from rim with 2 IDB's/chips along the crack.

IMG_7505.JPG IMG_7506.JPG IMG_7507.JPG

now have over 15 unique types of the "extra cactus" (the bottom coin in middle row also has a crack in different location). these are progressions of growth from same die and others are different dies.

IMG_7508.JPG IMG_7509.JPG IMG_7510.JPG

bag left me holdin' 3 Caribou, a Balboa & a Dominican:BangHead::BangHead:----- and NO SILLBURR's :sad11::sad11:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
P

port ewen ace

Silver Member
Dec 16, 2012
port ewen ny
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO & Equinox800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was never silent when an inmate dis-respected my uniform--
always thought that impugning, or other comments that belittle the finds of posters on TNET was considered a violation of rules---

and that is the same as saying---"you are out of place"---- a term used in the "corrections" arena

so D&T-- you are on my block--- step off

galenrog

Bronze Member
Feb 19, 2006
I collect very few coins. My primary collections are that of counterfeits and coins altered to resemble valuable rarities. I also stack silver.

Now that the pleasantries are done, I do search a lot of coins. Cents through dollars. It does not matter. I typically find several hundred errors of all types every year. Since I do not collect myself, and I rarely use eBay, I have developed a rather lengthy list of collectors, and more importantly, what errors and rarities they have an interest in.

It does baffle me from time to time what some collectors like. I have a sister-in-law that collects salt and pepper shakers. To each their own, I suppose.

I applaud Ace for bringing these errors to the attention of the forum.

Time to put something in the coffee.

Death&Taxes

Jan 2, 2017
Taxechusetts (It sucks)
Detector(s) used
The only two certainties in life are death and taxes.
Primary Interest:
Other
always thought that impugning, or other comments that belittle the finds of posters on TNET was considered a violation of rules---

and that is the same as saying---"you are out of place"---- a term used in the "corrections" arena

I can step off, but the truth cannot. Would you rather live in ignorant bliss, or be grounded in reality? If you prefer the former, you are a bit late for your own time; the Garden of Eden closed over 6,000 years ago.

LooseChange

Sep 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Are there really elements here telling PEA the correct way to enjoy this hobby??????
Pfffshuh.

GMan00001

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2006
Twin Cities, MN
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am with enamel7. Error/variety value typically has very little to due with the metal content, but is almost exclusively due to the rarity/demand for the item.

A good example, the 1943 copper cent. No special metal content, but it's worth a fortune due to rarity and demand.

Ultimately, the value of anything is the price a buyer is willing to pay for it.

Are the "cactus crack" quarters worth anything or will they ever be? No idea. To me, they are currently worth $0.25 each as I don't collect them, but to the right buyer, they may be worth considerably more than that.

In my opinion/observation, the more obvious an error/variety is to the naked eye, the more likely it is to be collected/in demand which pushes up the value. Unless, of course, there are too many of them, which pushes down the value due to too much supply.

FormerTeller

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011

I blocked him a few days ago.

"Don't attack, provoke, insult, or deliberately offend anyone."

Mods, care to weigh in? I think PEA has a valid point.

Death&Taxes

Jan 2, 2017
Taxechusetts (It sucks)
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
I blocked him a few days ago.

"Don't attack, provoke, insult, or deliberately offend anyone."

Mods, care to weigh in? I think PEA has a valid point.

Never did any of that. I simply said that his coins were each worth in the $2-3 range based on ebay past sales, and that most collectors don't care for minor die cracks which only have a claim to fame because of their funny nicknames. If he takes offense to that, it's his own problem. I would never deliberately offend another member of this treasured forum. Even if I were to insult the quarters he found, I would never intend to offend the person who found them. I respect all men as equals.

And no, my last comment was not an insult. It was a question, a powerful one I admit, but a much needed one for our discussion.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Please keep the politics out of the thread per our rules, post by TNet rules.

Mocking a members finds violates our rules, I suggest it end now.

Last edited:

jrf30

Bronze Member
May 7, 2006
CO, AZ
Detector(s) used
dfx, Ryedale!
some day the "Extra Leaf" or "Speared Bison" will get caught in my net :dontknow:

I've found TWO extra leaf's so far. One upper and one lower. both in Phoenix while searching boxes. Still look at EVERY Wisconsin very closely. :-)

Death&Taxes

Jan 2, 2017
Taxechusetts (It sucks)
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
I've found TWO extra leaf's so far. One upper and one lower. both in Phoenix while searching boxes. Still look at EVERY Wisconsin very closely. :-)

What's your opinion of them? Simple die clash/gouge or did a mint worker have a little fun?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions