Ben Cartwright SASS

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett
Primary Interest:
Other
I have opened 2 of the boxes so far, interesting results....

I am noticing a fair number of marked coins, some have a date, usually around 1982 - 1983 " 2/82 5/83" others have sharpy on the ear or the eagle or an x. about 10 ear markings and 15-20 back marks. Means some of the coins were searched but what Kennedy hasn't been searched already.

I marked two cans of Kennedy's with paint and then recorded where I dumped them just to see if I got them back.

A question, if you mark coins to you mark everyone or just some?

Upvote 0

TwoYewts

Oct 29, 2013
NorthEast
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Fisher CZ-21, Makro Racer Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Morning Ben,
I personally don't mark any. Nothing against what you are doing but I just don't see the point. IF you were to get yours back would you stop ordering boxes? I would guess the answer to that is no :tongue3:. I have also seen some nice condition coins marked which is a shame. Hoping you get some keeper boxes in the future. Been skunksville across the Sound as well. Last 4 boxes have produced (1) proof, (1) Panamanian 50 Centavos and (1) nicely off-centered (need to post a pic) which thankfully was not marked as I was able to add it to my oddity collection. :)

Happy Hunting!
TwoYewts

Edit: Oh and to answer your question, from those that have told me they mark they only mark a few. For example the other local guy that I know CRHs in my area told me once he places a black slash on one in each roll. Not sure if he just hits the enders as he goes through the box or what; but to each their own.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Ben Cartwright SASS

Ben Cartwright SASS

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett
Primary Interest:
Other
I actually marked to coins to see if I could figure out who services the bank since they won't tell me and I don't want to sit there all day to see what truck shows up ROFL

No I will not stop searching even when I don't find anything, which is normal, from 1999 to 2016 I found a lifetime total of 4 90% Kennedy's, but I was doing CWR not boxes.

I will get loose and CWR if they have them but have been doing boxes, I guess I just need the exercise carrying them.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I never mark any. Some people actually want the clad ones. I sometimes spend some and there are two folks at the local stores here who love getting them. If you mark them you may be ruining someone else's day.

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Personally, I think its a huge waste of time unless you're searching heavy volume, and even then it might be more trouble than its worth.

To answer your question, only marking a few really accomplishes little. Just because none of your marks returned would in no way mean that none of your dump returned. To mark optimally, you'd have to mark every individual coin, plus somehow date and record the dumping location for that mark. If you always mark with just a dot, slash, etc. and/or mark the same for every dumping location, then you have no way of knowing whether that coin(s) that just returned to you was from last week, last month, or 10 years ago and/or from where it came. If you can't date and locate the returned coin, the fact that it returned is useless information.

IMO the only way the info would be useful would be if you consistently got a big percentage of your own dumps back within a very short period of time.

FormerTeller

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
I never mark any. Some people actually want the clad ones. I sometimes spend some and there are two folks at the local stores here who love getting them. If you mark them you may be ruining someone else's day.

This. I've found more than one error that had been marked. Infuriating!

Tommybuckets

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2015
Bodymore, Metalland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal, Safari, Garrett infinium, Whites prizm 4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes marking is a waste of time. I will mark particularly horrible coins only AFTER I have inspected them for errors die cracks etc. I do this because that particular coin irritated me. Like the load of super rim damaged 94s I just got. The whole box was 94. I actually didn't mark them but keeping track of a big load of shiny 94s isn't hard.

Death&Taxes

Jan 2, 2017
Taxechusetts (It sucks)
Detector(s) used
The only two certainties in life are death and taxes.
Primary Interest:
Other

Be sure not to mark ones that have an extra cactus :laughing7: See PEA's thread. :laughing7:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions