CRH'ing before 1964?

FormerTeller

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Piggybacking on flinthunters post about finding 10 bags of wheat Cents in the 70's with just 2 Indian head cents.

To me the interesting thing is the proportion of Indian Cents to wheats. Shows how much Indians were picked out of change and hoarded from 1910 to 1960.

I was curious if anybody here had roll hunted in the early 60's or before? Stories?

Upvote 0

BuffaloHunter

Jun 26, 2017
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600. Garrett ProPointer.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
While he didn’t Coin Roll hunt, my grandfather worked at a vending machine company in the early 70s. He would empty the coin drop box and refill the product. He pulled out any silver coins or old cents and refilled them with modern coins ( No, it was no illegal lol.) I’ll guesstimate and say he has maybe 250 silver dimes and quarters from just doing that. I looked through them and even found a few barber dimes. All in the 70s!

Last edited:

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
Yes - I was a coin collector as a kid in the late 1950's and early 1960's. I'd buy a few rolls of pennies at the bank, sort through them, then take them in an exchange for more. Sound familiar? My sister filled almost completely one of those blue Whitman coin folders (the "modern" volume at the time) from pocket change. I believe the only penny she didn't locate was a 1955-S. One roll in particular I remember very well because I think it was a collector's and he (or she) took the wrong one to the bank. It had a number of Wheaties, a few Indian Heads, and a very worn Flying Eagle!

Some banks weren't familiar with the process. We drove from Ohio to Florida around 1961 and to pass the time in the car I'd sort through rolls and then in the next town go to the bank and exchange for a few more. One time I handed the teller my two or three rolls and asked for two or three rolls and she just handed back to me the ones I'd just set down!

When silver coins went out KvonM wrote several times that smart people would start putting them aside - even, in his own words, if they had to skip a lunch or two to do it.

Good luck to all,

The Old Bookaroo

flinthunter

Jan 3, 2011
Illinois
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, V3i, DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not really coin roll hunting but around 1959 or 60 I started pocket change hunting. There were no credit cards and most grownups had a pocket full of loose change. Family members and a couple close family friends would let me search what was in their pocket or purse. Buffalos were common and you sometimes found a Standing Liberty Quarter, although most of the SLQ's were dateless. I used to keep my older Walking Halves but had no problem spending the halves minted in the 40's and newer. Sure wish I knew then what I know now. Oh well, you know what they say about hind sight being 20/20.

Scott W

Feb 7, 2011
I was a kid before 1963, and remember spending Walkers and SLQ's.
I saw an Andy Griffin movie awhile back named 'A Face In The Crowd'. It was about a hillbilly grifter that got a tv show where he acted like he was Will Rogers. It was set in the late 50's or early 60's.
Anyway, he asks all his fans to send in a half dollar. After they had been sending them in awhile he comes out with a wheelbarrow full of halfs, all pre-JFK!
How would you like to cherry pick that?!!

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Been coin collecting since the early 60's, back then CRH was just a part of coin collecting as one and the same. Wish I started stacking & stacking back then til now. Of course back then everything was silver & Wheaties, who could afford to save every Rosie & GW then.

Death&Taxes

Jan 2, 2017
Taxechusetts (It sucks)
Detector(s) used
The only two certainties in life are death and taxes.
Primary Interest:
Other
At the LCS I've opened circulating cent rolls from the 60s. Nothing special, just a mix of average wheats and a few memorials.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
Been coin collecting since the early 60's, back then CRH was just a part of coin collecting as one and the same. Wish I started stacking & stacking back then til now. Of course back then everything was silver & Wheaties, who could afford to save every Rosie & GW then.
I know what you mean, why bother stacking back then? It was all silver...who would have thought they'd debase our money? I was three years old in '65.

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
When my Dad and Mom first got married in 1968, they would visit her Grandmother, (my Great) in Boston. She was in charge of the weekly Beano games, and the money was all quarters.
My Dad used most of his paycheck every week stacking silver, did it for years into the 1970’s...
His paycheck was something silly, like $60 per week, and now 50 years later, he’s still got those stacks, a crazy amount that I honestly don’t know how much, but it’s an A$$ ton.
And what is Beano?.... it’s code for Bingo, which was frowned upon, that’s what I was told.

OP
OP
FormerTeller

FormerTeller

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Did your dad sell off any in the silver run ups, either in the 80's or 8 years ago?

Ben Cartwright SASS

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett
Primary Interest:
Other
Back around '62 '63 my brother and I used to sneak silver dollars from my Dad's dresser and buy hamburgers at Friendlies. He would yell at us but I told him he could get more at the bank, which back then was the truth

weighit

Feb 17, 2007
Northern Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX with a Big Foot coil
Gold Bug 2
I was pretty young and helped my father check the baskets of coins at the local church. His job was to roll the change in the offering plate into rolls. He was date hunting quarters, dimes and silver nickles and would replace the ones he found with coins that matched the total amount, not the exact same coin. That was all through the late 60's. He died and the piles of coins were stacked in boxes and cans in various spots in the house for years. I ended up selling the majority of the silver when the prices were up in the $48 per oz range. Took a check for $10,147 to my mom and said dad wanted you to have this....she had no idea that all those ugle coins were worth anything, thats when I heard she had been buying bread and grocerys with them for years!!!

TheMastermind

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2012
Pennsy
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was pretty young and helped my father check the baskets of coins at the local church. His job was to roll the change in the offering plate into rolls. He was date hunting quarters, dimes and silver nickles and would replace the ones he found with coins that matched the total amount, not the exact same coin. That was all through the late 60's. He died and the piles of coins were stacked in boxes and cans in various spots in the house for years. I ended up selling the majority of the silver when the prices were up in the $48 per oz range. Took a check for $10,147 to my mom and said dad wanted you to have this....she had no idea that all those ugle coins were worth anything, thats when I heard she had been buying bread and grocerys with them for years!!!

Great story. Warms my heart.

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
From my experience as a kid in the 50s, there was no need to hunt through coin rolls, the coins were in circulation and available.
For example, I still have a dozen dateless SLQs from either 1916 or 1917 (one is an "S").
My dad worked 'in the big city'; he would come home nightly with a pocket full of coins that I would cull through; easy pickins.
Don........

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
and he lives where??? hahha I want his address before may

TxAg

May 7, 2017
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
50+ years ago Dad & I would go through his pocket change looking for hole fillers for our Whitman folders. He even worked out a deal with the guy who re-stocked the coffee machine at his office. Dad would trade him dollar bills for the vending machine’s coins. Much later in life he got in good with the tellers at his bank. He passed away a couple of years ago but Mom told me they would call him when the new mint year uncirculated rolls came in. He was the best “scarfer” I ever saw. Kind of a Will Rogers type that never met a stranger he didn’t like. It got him very far in life because he was fair with everybody and willing to trade with people to make the deal a “win -win”.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread