Jefferson Nickel Set from the Wild Complete!

baddbluff

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2011
vegas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't post much lately, but thought this was cool.
Pulled a key date 1938S from the wild today to complete my Jefferson nickel set! I've been down to one coin for over a year now. It's a really nice AU coin. Kinda weird: all three keys are super nice (1938S AU, 1939D AU and 1950D XF+).
Happy hunting all!
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1519370009.444018.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1519370049.053942.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1519370074.773011.jpg

Upvote 0

Twitch

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2010
Missouri
Very nice work. We all dummy into a nice box or a solid roll from time to time. A complete Jefferson set is clearly a great deal of effort. Great to see it. I personally found the ‘38-D a month or two ago and lack only the ‘43-D and ‘50-D. It’s funny ‘38-S was your last coin. I also find that many of the rarer Jeff dates are in great condition when found in the wild.

What at would be fun and a HUGE waste of money would be to grade sets found in the wild and create a registry ranking for CRH’d sets.

Well done sir.

srcdco

Dec 11, 2006
Western NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab Nox-800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It took me about 40 years to finally find my 1950-D and it was uncirculated. That was last summer. Since then, I've found 2 more! One was circulated (VF to XF) and the other was another uncirculated. So, in the last 6 to 9 months, I've completed 3 Jefferson nickel sets. I've found multiples of the others (1938-D, 1938-S, 1939-D, 1939-S, 1943-D) already.

Scott

Scott (Mich)

Mar 23, 2007
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on completing your sets everyone. I do nickel hunting small scale at only 5 rolls every time I cash my paycheck.

Last week I got my second war nickel so things are looking better for this year.

I have four nickels to go, the 38-S, 50-D, and I think two more war nickels. I'm on lunch hour at work currently so I cannot remember right off hand which ones I need.

TxAg

May 7, 2017
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice going baddbluff & srcdco!!!!

mountainman 2

Bronze Member
Aug 9, 2006
Extreme Northern NJ
Detector(s) used
whites classic sl,whites surfmaster,garrett ATX,minelab vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on the milestone Baddbluff, that's quite an accomplishment. Are you going to start a 2nd set? The key dates were probably pulled from circulation soon after they were minted and someone just recently cashed them in. IMO.

engine823

Dec 30, 2017
Waynesburg, KY
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Primary Interest:
Other
I've been working on the full set myself! Not nearly as close to done though! Did you find all the proofs in circulation as well? I've only found 3 so far

OP
OP
baddbluff

baddbluff

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2011
vegas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No proofs, just circ strikes
I am working on a second set - missing 38d & s, 39d, 44d, & 50d - the usual suspects, mostly.
I think I got really lucky to finish the first set. The 50d came out of the register at work, and the 39d and 38s both came from customer rolls from banks I don't usually go to. I grabbed a bunch of rolls both times on a whim & got lucky.
Finding the tough Jeffs is a lot like finding a 55p Franklin to finish that set - gotta get lucky.

wagbert

Mar 29, 2008
Would you care to estimate how long it took you to complete your set of Jefferson nickels? How about a rough estimate of the number of nickels you had to look through to complete your task? Congratulations for finishing the first set. You have had some very good luck indeed. I wish you continued good luck on finding the coins you want and need for another complete set of nickels. Until recently I believe the Jefferson nickel series was overlooked by most coin collectors. Well done !

OP
OP
baddbluff

baddbluff

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2011
vegas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Would you care to estimate how long it took you to complete your set of Jefferson nickels? How about a rough estimate of the number of nickels you had to look through to complete your task? Congratulations for finishing the first set. You have had some very good luck indeed. I wish you continued good luck on finding the coins you want and need for another complete set of nickels. Until recently I believe the Jefferson nickel series was overlooked by most coin collectors. Well done !

I don't keep nickel stats like I do with halves - I started this set maybe 10 years ago, but that was mainly looking through change at work, and an occasional box here and there. I didn't take it seriously at all until I found the 50-d and 39-d - at which time I realized I had a decent shot at completing it. I probably searched between $50-$75,000 worth of nickels.

ILikeMoney

Dec 21, 2014
OHIO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Been searching 10yrs @1 box/week, I still need the 38d, 39d, 43d and 50d.

OP
OP
baddbluff

baddbluff

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2011
vegas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Been searching 10yrs @1 box/week, I still need the 38d, 39d, 43d and 50d.

I think where you live makes a difference. Us west coast hunters have a lot better chance of finding all of those coins due to where they were originally released in circulation.
They've always been tough to find. I first started searching Nickels when I was a teenager in the 80s. I never found a 38s, 39d, or 50d back then either.

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I quit assembling sets long long Ago Now I type set and keep the very best of every variety I can get my hands on. Still a great accomplishment completing a set! Way to go.

OP
OP
baddbluff

baddbluff

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2011
vegas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
'38-'59 nickel sets wholesale for $16 in case you were curious.

(Including wars)

Thanks. I was definitely curious. I guess I should keep my day job.

Everyone in this forum knows these coins aren't worth anything. 99% of us don't search to make money. If I had worked overtime instead of coin roll hunting, I'm sure I could've bought a complete set in 65FS, including all the key dates and varieties.
Most of us do it for fun - for a challenge. And when you achieve a goal you set, it's satisfying. Like finishing a marathon or getting your first birdie in golf (both of which are worth about $16 less btw).

My suggestion for you is that you change your outlook on life - it sounds like you have attitude issues. I'd start by changing you login to something like "unicorns and rainbows" rather then "death & taxes." It might help you see the positive things in life.

GlenDronach

Bronze Member
Aug 21, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My nice key dates (50D and 38D) were both in really good shape too- I have a feeling they've been picked out long ago and because people knew the mintage numbers were low people hoarded the unc rolls and they're slowly making their way back in.

Death&Taxes

Jan 2, 2017
Taxechusetts (It sucks)
Detector(s) used
The only two certainties in life are death and taxes.
Primary Interest:
Other
Meh. I just see things for what they are. Value is what somebody else will pay for something.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread