OH, soooooo close

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Was doing my bank rounds Saturday morning for dime boxes, and I try to ask every chance I get, for any loose big IKEs or halves. The one teller I was at, while getting a dime box, I asked for IKEs & halves. The teller at next window pipes up & says "I have some big ones". She immediately pulls out 5 big coins and was proceeding to hand them to me, BUT at the last moment she picks out one of the coins, and says, "oh, I have someone who saves these". I could see the large white rim and the big eagle feathers of the reverse, as a PEACE DOLLAR. I was so frustrated, sooooo close, but yet !!!!!!! I just hate when tellers do that RIGHT IN FRONT OF YOU. Just wish that she never mentioned or showed them at all. Oh darn it anyway. Parted the scene with only taking my dime box and 4-big IKEs.

Anyone else get the same treatment?

Upvote 0

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can demand that she give it to you. They are not supposed to say no to you or save things. Would have been worth a shot

OP
OP
Dozer D

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
You can demand that she give it to you. They are not supposed to say no to you or save things. Would have been worth a shot

I was going to make it a big issue right then and there, but I use that branch as a PICK UP branch., therefore, let it be. Guess I have to ask only when that teller is absent.

Ben Cartwright SASS

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett
Primary Interest:
Other
I could be wrong but think tellers keep their own change trays looked up when not working, I doni't think they use communal trays. I have had tellers tell me so and so has some but he is not here right now.

I feel your pain on the Peace dollar!

OP
OP
Dozer D

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Ben:
I think you're right there, cuz I asked a teller one time about do they have to count and turn in to the main vault their coin drawer, she said no, it stays within their drawer.

port ewen ace

Silver Member
Dec 16, 2012
port ewen ny
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO & Equinox800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:BangHead::BangHead::BangHead::BangHead::BangHead::sad11::sad11::sad11:

now you know how the dogs feel in those races chasing the whatever they use :angry9::angry4::cussing:

Ben Cartwright SASS

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett
Primary Interest:
Other
Dozer
Look on the bright side, skip your coffee on the way to work for a week and buy a Peace Dollar at the coin dealer.

Actually I put aside my change (that my wife doesn't get) and every week or two buy some junk silver

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I almost had a similar experience once, but the teller just wasn't quite knowledgeable enough. I had gone to the counter asking for halves and the teller was kind enough (so I thought) to go around and collect all the tellers' halves for me. After acquiring all they had, he stops at a counter a little ways behind the main counter to double-check the count. As always I'm listening for that sweet sound as he's stacking/counting the halves. We both hear it. Clink...clink...clink....CLANK! When he hears it, he grabs the coin and looks at the date, gets a funny look on his face and sets it back down. CLANK! again. He rechecks the coin, shrugs and adds it to the pile. I already knew what it was going to be. 90% modern silver proof.

Death&Taxes

Jan 2, 2017
Taxechusetts (It sucks)
Detector(s) used
The only two certainties in life are death and taxes.
Primary Interest:
Other
You have to play your cards right. Just subtly mention the coin and gauge their response. If they seem like a weak-minded person, make a scene. If not, tell them that they can keep it because you have plenty of them in your collection and they are only worth $1.25 each (or some other low number). They likely do not know how much it is worth. This will make them reconsider their efforts when saving it, and they may give you more in the future. This works fine, but don't get caught in the bluff with an experienced and strong-willed sniper; you will not gain anything and you will lose reputation.

FormerTeller

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
If they seem like a weak-minded person, make a scene. If not, tell them that they can keep it because you have plenty of them in your collection and they are only worth $1.25 each (or some other low number). They likely do not know how much it is worth.

I don't particularly recommend lying either, at least not when you can so easily get called out. As you noted, your reputation can suffer drastically.

Tommybuckets

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2015
Bodymore, Metalland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal, Safari, Garrett infinium, Whites prizm 4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh yes I have a running tally in my head of almost getting coins n old bills. I play them in my mind at night, how I could have said or done something different. Then I switch to the few good luck scores I have gotten. I just had one. It's like a dream. I walked into my usual bank and the new teller has eight Franklin's sitting on her teller table. They aren't even in the tray. I had to double check I was awake! I asked if I could have them. She said the person in front of me brought them in and I was saving her the Trouble of trying to roll them up since she didn't have enough to fill a roll.i gave her two chocolate bars �� . I hope she stays for a long time.

Ben Cartwright SASS

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett
Primary Interest:
Other
Oh yes I have a running tally in my head of almost getting coins n old bills. I play them in my mind at night,

Often to get myself to fall asleep I daydream that I have found either a full box or a bunch of rolls from someone's Seated Liberty half dollar collection... :love10:

Zomotion

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2013
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, coinmaster Gt Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've had that happen too Dozer... Just the other day with 4 silver washingtons in her tray, said she's keeping them for herself. This has happened so many times I've lost count to be honest. Show you and then tuck it away... It's the worst.

markmopar

Feb 15, 2008
southern NJ/southeast VA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had that happen last week. I heard the silver, saw the shiny and watched her slide it off to the side of her keyboard. I mentioned I'd like that one, too. She said "No", I said Yes, she said No, i quietly said "that's a bit unprofessional, isn't it? To do that right in front of me?" She snarkily asked if I was "even a customer". When I said yes, for many years, she gave me the coin. I do not recommend this approach where you don't have a good relationship with the managers and a working knowledge of their procedures.
Funny part is, the shiny one was a 40%, the other four dirty ones she gave me were 90%!

Ben Cartwright SASS

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett
Primary Interest:
Other
I really don't blame tellers for culling silver they don't make much, but as you said it was unprofessional to do it in front of you.

Death&Taxes

Jan 2, 2017
Taxechusetts (It sucks)
Detector(s) used
The only two certainties in life are death and taxes.
Primary Interest:
Other
I had that happen last week. I heard the silver, saw the shiny and watched her slide it off to the side of her keyboard. I mentioned I'd like that one, too. She said "No", I said Yes, she said No, i quietly said "that's a bit unprofessional, isn't it? To do that right in front of me?" She snarkily asked if I was "even a customer". When I said yes, for many years, she gave me the coin. I do not recommend this approach where you don't have a good relationship with the managers and a working knowledge of their procedures.
Funny part is, the shiny one was a 40%, the other four dirty ones she gave me were 90%!

Serves the sniper right :) Never back down or show any weakness.

SnakemanBill

Apr 24, 2008
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Happened to me once about 5-6 years ago at a BOA. Stopped in and asked for halves and the teller said she had $120 in CWRs. I asked to but them all and she said ok. She brought them out and proceeded to open them up and lo and behold they were all solid rolls of silver. She opened every roll and rewrapped them putting two rolls aside and sliding the other 10 rolls over to me. I asked for the other two rolls as well and she said "well I gotta get rich too." I asked her again saying "you told me I could have $120 I would like to buy them all and she again said no. I thanked her and took the coins she was willing to sell and I went straight to the manager and told her what happened. She took a twenty dollar bill from me went to the tellers window and exchanged it for other two rolls and brought them to me and apologized.

From that day forward until that teller retired I made an effort to deal with the other tellers because I knew every time I asked her I was going to get a no. Saw her the other day and she still gave me the stink eye.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread