Ben Cartwright SASS

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett
Primary Interest:
Other
First I want to admit that I went overboard in talking about finds from 2 boxes and a bag of halves. In the previous 20 years doing CRHing off and on I had found a total of 4 90% halves, except for two rolls about 10 years ago that I stumbled on, I guess I went sort of crazy.
I get the impression that we should keep all those finds quiet since it might cause more people to want to CRH.

In talking to the local coin shop he said he has at least 15-20 people that he knows of in the local area who CRH. I myself have only had 2 banks that haven't had people asking for halves and that is out of about 50 banks within 15 miles of me.

Since it was mentioned to me I am being very circumspect about finds, less so about skunks. Am I overreacting or not?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Ben Cartwright SASS

Ben Cartwright SASS

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett
Primary Interest:
Other
I don't like to take the time to rollem. I have opened accounts at 8 banks with multiple branches all with coin counters, I prefer dumping them that way.

got 4 boxes of halves supposed to be tomorrow but the weather says maybe not. I did get TD to order 4 boxes but they were not happy as they had to do a special order. I may try the Foxboro or Wrentham branch

Death&Taxes

Jan 2, 2017
Taxechusetts (It sucks)
Detector(s) used
The only two certainties in life are death and taxes.
Primary Interest:
Other
I don't like to take the time to rollem. I have opened accounts at 8 banks with multiple branches all with coin counters, I prefer dumping them that way.

got 4 boxes of halves supposed to be tomorrow but the weather says maybe not. I did get TD to order 4 boxes but they were not happy as they had to do a special order. I may try the Foxboro or Wrentham branch

What sorts of MA banks have counters that take halves with bag changes larger that $100?

OP
OP
Ben Cartwright SASS

Ben Cartwright SASS

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett
Primary Interest:
Other
All the bags at Rockland Trust, Rockland Federal, Middlesex, Sharon Credit Union, Dedham Savings and Eastern Bank are all $1000 bags most use "CoinMax" machines

Death&Taxes

Jan 2, 2017
Taxechusetts (It sucks)
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
there's one in the area that flat out refused my dumps, and another that even refused my paper money dumps (bricks of 2s)

OP
OP
Ben Cartwright SASS

Ben Cartwright SASS

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett
Primary Interest:
Other
there's one in the area that flat out refused my dumps, and another that even refused my paper money dumps (bricks of 2s)

How often did you dump there? I try to spread my dumps over 25 banks with CC's, and don't like to hit a bank more than once a month.

toorude89

Jul 2, 2012
East Coast
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, AT Pro, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Talking about finds is ok, but I wouldn't romanticize it. And please please please give equal time discussing skunks!

Why not romanticize it? It's a fun and exciting hobby and there is nothing better than finding a dream box or a collection dump. What is the concern, that people hear how great it is, try it, realize you typically find nothing and quit? You don't need to explain to newcomers that skunks are out there. They will find that out if they are inspired enough to give it a go.

toorude89

Jul 2, 2012
East Coast
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, AT Pro, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A final thought, how many newbies first get interested in CRHing by tracking down Treasure Net and reading posts versus watching Youtube videos?

I think we need to shut down the youtube videos, maybe by trolling them and turning them into Youtube as inappropriate adn getting them pulled?

I could be wrong but I think youtube or facebook is a bigger force in CRHing than treasure net.

The thing you are most wrong about, among many, is that it is a good idea to sabotage other people's enjoyment from this hobby to give yourself an infinitely small edge in your next hunt. The biggest enemy of this hobby/community is not the exuberance of the newbies - it is greed and in this case, malice.

Death&Taxes

Jan 2, 2017
Taxechusetts (It sucks)
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
How often did you dump there? I try to spread my dumps over 25 banks with CC's, and don't like to hit a bank more than once a month.

That's generally my policy. They still get pissed sometimes. MSX barred me form ever ordering halves a while back, but if I call up some branches on the fringe of the county (like Groton and Boxborough) they will still order for me.

Death&Taxes

Jan 2, 2017
Taxechusetts (It sucks)
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
The thing you are most wrong about, among many, is that it is a good idea to sabotage other people's enjoyment from this hobby to give yourself an infinitely small edge in your next hunt. The biggest enemy of this hobby/community is not the exuberance of the newbies - it is greed and in this case, malice.

The biggest enemy of this hobby is the notion that we can let everything slide without criticism, just because our loss is "infinitely small." Some coin roll hunting videos on youtube have MILLIONS of views. MILLIONS. The masses are coming, and if we don't all come together and put up a fight, they WILL take our hobby away from us.

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know the feeling a Wells Fargo refused my $1000 dump (I had already taken bags there in the past) The vault teller said no because I had already filled up her safe.

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
(like Groton and Boxborough)
You mean like rotten Groton? As in CT?

I went to nuclear sub-school there. But then the Navy being the Navy gave me orders to a WWII diesel sub. I told them to take a hike (not in those words) and they sent me to a ship headed for Viet Nam.

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
D & T: Didn't we ALL start out the same way, that we were intruding into someone else's hobby? We will all be affected one way or another, end of subject.

OP
OP
Ben Cartwright SASS

Ben Cartwright SASS

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett
Primary Interest:
Other

I went to nuclear sub-school there. But then the Navy being the Navy gave me orders to a WWII diesel sub. I told them to take a hike (not in those words) and they sent me to a ship headed for Viet Nam.

Was your skipper Kelsey Grammer? :laughing9:

OP
OP
Ben Cartwright SASS

Ben Cartwright SASS

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett
Primary Interest:
Other

Was your skipper Kelsey Grammer? :laughing9:

Groton MA

Death&Taxes

Jan 2, 2017
Taxechusetts (It sucks)
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other

Groton MA. It's this little farming town on the fringe of Middlesex County.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread