Ben Cartwright SASS

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett
Primary Interest:
Other
First I want to admit that I went overboard in talking about finds from 2 boxes and a bag of halves. In the previous 20 years doing CRHing off and on I had found a total of 4 90% halves, except for two rolls about 10 years ago that I stumbled on, I guess I went sort of crazy.
I get the impression that we should keep all those finds quiet since it might cause more people to want to CRH.

In talking to the local coin shop he said he has at least 15-20 people that he knows of in the local area who CRH. I myself have only had 2 banks that haven't had people asking for halves and that is out of about 50 banks within 15 miles of me.

Since it was mentioned to me I am being very circumspect about finds, less so about skunks. Am I overreacting or not?

Upvote 0

BuffaloHunter

Jun 26, 2017
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600. Garrett ProPointer.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Depends. Are you in it for the money or the fun? Some people try to profit from it, and thus keep their finds to themselves. I like to tell about my finds, and show other people, thus keeping the hobby alive.

FormerTeller

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Talking about finds is ok, but I wouldn't romanticize it. And please please please give equal time discussing skunks!

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I get the impression that we should keep all those finds quiet since it might cause more people to want to CRH.
Too late now. I saw questions like yours several years ago. I know this sounds egotistic but I actually thought I invented it. I started doing it on my own when a metal detecting friend and I pondered if banks still have any silver coins left. I bought a box, not even knowing what it would cost, and found a 1935 walking liberty, a 90% JFK & 4 - 40%. I was hooked on something I didn't even know anything about. So I did some internet research and found out about T-net and this forum. My very first post on t-net was here and that was in Dec 2006 now I just hit the 4000th post.

Well to get back to your question. After a while I remember grumblings that people were telling people and more CRHers were diluting the pile and then all hell broke loose when someone from our group actually wrote an article on CRH and it was published in a coin magazine. Then people started do youtube videos.

So don't worry about the pile getting diluted. It already is! But, grandpa is still going to leave this world with boxes of coins hidden in his desk and little Johnny who only wants to buy his next iphone is going to take them to the bank. You know the rest.

What I would worry about more is bragging about how many you find. There are trolls everywhere and with technology the way it is someone may be able to track you down and relieve you of your 90% ers.

I can remember, several years ago, there was a member of this forum named Patrick Earl Houston and he irritated everybody by acting like an ex-con rapper from the ghettos in Memphis. I was bored at work and did some internet sleuthing and busted him as a white kid from Atlanta. Just from his posts I was able to track him down to who he really was, his ebay seller name, his address and phone number.

barneyb71

Mar 6, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I find the banks that other hunters are using in my areas and I take all my dumps there to discourage them from hunting in my area!!!

tanz 82

Mar 16, 2012
N.mass- S.nh
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My grandpa was coin roll hunting in the 70's ! He had a neighbor who ran a bank in Boston. He told me the amount of coins he wouldn't take because he needed money for gas , groceries etc. makes me feel sick when he talks about it !!! So the only ones he would take was the best ones which never netted keys like the 77 IH , or the 09 s vdb however he still did very well

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I find the banks that other hunters are using in my areas and I take all my dumps there to discourage them from hunting in my area!!!

But, are you taking CWR's or dumping into coin machine. I like your idea if it's CWR, and if so, mark the outside of the wrapper as OLD SILVER. That will fry them for sure.

OP
OP
Ben Cartwright SASS

Ben Cartwright SASS

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett
Primary Interest:
Other
But, are you taking CWR's or dumping into coin machine. I like your idea if it's CWR, and if so, mark the outside of the wrapper as OLD SILVER. That will fry them for sure.

OH I LIKE THAT!!!!! They will be so excited! and you would know they are yours. I might even try that at a bank that has an attitude

penman77

Dec 11, 2011
Eastern North Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
...mark the outside of the wrapper as OLD SILVER. That will fry them for sure.

lol. That reminds me of the time I bought six CWR of halves, all with "Keep" written in a shaky, old person handwriting. This looks good! SIX SOLID ROLLS OF bicentennial halves.

Death&Taxes

Jan 2, 2017
Taxechusetts (It sucks)
Detector(s) used
The only two certainties in life are death and taxes.
Primary Interest:
Other
Anything to help keep the hobby population #s down can help. Weather that means not posting the end roll pics, monster boxes, or your weekly quarter "errors" is up to you.

OP
OP
Ben Cartwright SASS

Ben Cartwright SASS

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett
Primary Interest:
Other
Anything to help keep the hobby population #s down can help. Weather that means not posting the end roll pics, monster boxes, or your weekly quarter "errors" is up to you.

I think the only way to keep the number of CHRers down is to only post about skunks, never mention that we find things. I used to think about that when I metal detected back then it was idiots who didn't fill holes etc.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
I began roll hunting about 1977, I was 15.

Hit it hard from 2008-2014.

Regarding halves, finds for me petered out around 2012, I could not believe the amount of 'parking lot' hunters, so bad that they were poaching my box orders, searching, and dumping without leaving the bank grounds.

Me, I was in it for the love of the hobby. I know there are a few good scores from lurking on here, but I just cannot comprehend that there are enough good finds out there today to make it profitable in any way shape or form.

OP
OP
Ben Cartwright SASS

Ben Cartwright SASS

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett
Primary Interest:
Other
It CANNOT BE PROFITABLE, if you add up all the time, gas etc. you will never make a profit. When I metal detected I kept track of my time one year and found I made 39 cents an hour, that was before allowing for gas and batteries etc.

I think most of us are in it for the fun and enjoyment. I am putting together several coin books that will never be worth more than face. You can buy junk silver with the money you spend on CRHing

BUT that being said to me it is the thrill of the hunt, I feel like Indiana Jones especially when I find silver. STILL LOOKING for a rotated half...

Death&Taxes

Jan 2, 2017
Taxechusetts (It sucks)
Detector(s) used
The only two certainties in life are death and taxes.
Primary Interest:
Other
I began roll hunting about 1977, I was 15.

Hit it hard from 2008-2014.

Regarding halves, finds for me petered out around 2012, I could not believe the amount of 'parking lot' hunters, so bad that they were poaching my box orders, searching, and dumping without leaving the bank grounds.

Me, I was in it for the love of the hobby. I know there are a few good scores from lurking on here, but I just cannot comprehend that there are enough good finds out there today to make it profitable in any way shape or form.

Ah, the good old days. Before You Tube, the Internet, and Treasurenet. I remember them. Finds a'plenty!

OP
OP
Ben Cartwright SASS

Ben Cartwright SASS

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett
Primary Interest:
Other
A final thought, how many newbies first get interested in CRHing by tracking down Treasure Net and reading posts versus watching Youtube videos?

I think we need to shut down the youtube videos, maybe by trolling them and turning them into Youtube as inappropriate adn getting them pulled?

I could be wrong but I think youtube or facebook is a bigger force in CRHing than treasure net.

markmopar

Feb 15, 2008
southern NJ/southeast VA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It CANNOT BE PROFITABLE, if you add up all the time, gas etc. you will never make a profit. When I metal detected I kept track of my time one year and found I made 39 cents an hour, that was before allowing for gas and batteries etc.

I think most of us are in it for the fun and enjoyment. I am putting together several coin books that will never be worth more than face. You can buy junk silver with the money you spend on CRHing

BUT that being said to me it is the thrill of the hunt, I feel like Indiana Jones especially when I find silver. STILL LOOKING for a rotated half...

Back when silver prices where over $25/ozt I supported myself for a couple years almost solely from CRH. Lots of volume and still a good supply. That would be MUCH harder today as the price is low and finds are fewer. And the thing that makes it hardest is TD not having the machines anymore.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread