Ben Cartwright SASS

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett
Primary Interest:
Other
Picked up two boxes today, from the bank where I saw silver in the coin counter.

Opened one before work, saw an ender! I don't see many of them. I opened that roll, not the others yet, and it was a 1967 and also there was a 1964 also!!!

so no skunk

the ender is the reverse eagle in the center

IMG_20180301_091258218_HDR.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
Ben Cartwright SASS

Ben Cartwright SASS

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett
Primary Interest:
Other

markmopar

Feb 15, 2008
southern NJ/southeast VA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've got 100s of Ks behind me. I know this hobby better than anyone.

Respectfully, No, you don't.

There are people here that have been doing it since the 1950's.
There are people here who have been through Millions in coin.
There's even one guy here who got a job at a coin sorting facility just to find out exactly what goes on in the process.
They are not salting the boxes.
They are not culling silver(Canada does).

We all can learn more from each other, no one has a monopoly on knowledge.

My best box ever was a Loomis box that gave up over 180 silver half dollars. Back then I was doing $15k/week. Worst boxes were Brinks, I rarely got anything in them but they were mostly BOA in my area and I refuse to go there anymore so no big loss.
Garda used to produce fairly well when my banks were using a service from Delaware. When they switched to one in NJ, finds fell way down.

Last edited:

Greastart

Bronze Member
Dec 29, 2014
Far North Corner of CA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT Pro and a Garrett Carrot
Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Other

There's even one guy here who got a job at a coin sorting facility just to find out exactly what goes on in the process.

My best box ever was a Loomis box that gave up over 180 silver half dollars. Back then I was doing $15k/week. Worst boxes were Brinks, I rarely got anything in them but they were mostly BOA in my area and I refuse to go there anymore so no big loss.
Garda used to produce fairly well when my banks were using a service from Delaware. When they switched to one in NJ, finds fell way down.

Well said

Death&Taxes

Jan 2, 2017
Taxechusetts (It sucks)
Detector(s) used
The only two certainties in life are death and taxes.
Primary Interest:
Other

What gives you the position to make claims about how experienced I am? This is absolutely ridiculous. I've been doing the hobby in one way or another since the 70s, and I've seen it all. Based on the number of 40s I've accumulated, I've gone through hundreds of thousands in halves since the silver bubble burst. I did quarters, dimes, nickels, and something around $3000 in pennies (based on my # of coppers which I recently turned in) since I was a kid. I am an experienced numismatist, who collects rare coins (NOT FROM CIRCULATION), rare paper money, and all sorts of valuable errors and varieties. And you get two likes for mouthing off about someone you have never met.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Please keep it civil !

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
What did the guy who worked in the sorting unit find, is there a thread?

I believe his handle name was "Lui21" a few years ago. Haven't seen his postings in a long time, think he dropped off the site. Never said what company he worked for. He DID WORK FOR A COIN PROCESSOR, and provided all of us some very useful info about the inner workings at his place. Sorry to see him go.
True, no one is an EXPERT in CRH or coin collecting, we all have something to learn here on TN. I've been collecting since the early 60's, and A LONG WAY FROM KNOWING IT ALL. HH , DozerD

mark1982

Mar 24, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know someone who worked for loomis. They don’t cull silver period

markmopar

Feb 15, 2008
southern NJ/southeast VA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What gives you the position to make claims about how experienced I am? This is absolutely ridiculous. I've been doing the hobby in one way or another since the 70s, and I've seen it all. Based on the number of 40s I've accumulated, I've gone through hundreds of thousands in halves since the silver bubble burst. I did quarters, dimes, nickels, and something around $3000 in pennies (based on my # of coppers which I recently turned in) since I was a kid. I am an experienced numismatist, who collects rare coins (NOT FROM CIRCULATION), rare paper money, and all sorts of valuable errors and varieties. And you get two likes for mouthing off about someone you have never met.

Simply this: you ASSumed you know all(and proclaimed it loudly, in public, for all to see) when the simple fact of life is that there is ALWAYS someone who knows more, runs faster, hits harder, jumps higher, sees better, moves quicker, speaks better, is taller, is more talented, plays better, shoots straighter, etc. than ourselves. Just because you think you haven't met him or her doesn't mean they're not out there, or here, as the case may be.
Happy hunting! :icon_thumleft:

OP
OP
Ben Cartwright SASS

Ben Cartwright SASS

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett
Primary Interest:
Other
I know someone who worked for loomis. They don’t cull silver period

That is what I thoiught. It is always easy to explain skunks as "it was culled" when in reality silver in the last several decades depends totally on people putting silver back in circulation either by dumping it in CC's rolling it or spending it. There is no other way it gets out there and that doesn't happen that often but still often enough so we can find it.

Death&Taxes

Jan 2, 2017
Taxechusetts (It sucks)
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
I believe his handle name was "Lui21" a few years ago. Haven't seen his postings in a long time, think he dropped off the site. Never said what company he worked for. He DID WORK FOR A COIN PROCESSOR, and provided all of us some very useful info about the inner workings at his place. Sorry to see him go.
True, no one is an EXPERT in CRH or coin collecting, we all have something to learn here on TN. I've been collecting since the early 60's, and A LONG WAY FROM KNOWING IT ALL. HH , DozerD

Yeah, I remember him. He said he sorted out the silver for all the bosses.

Death&Taxes

Jan 2, 2017
Taxechusetts (It sucks)
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Simply this: you ASSumed you know all(and proclaimed it loudly, in public, for all to see) when the simple fact of life is that there is ALWAYS someone who knows more, runs faster, hits harder, jumps higher, sees better, moves quicker, speaks better, is taller, is more talented, plays better, shoots straighter, etc. than ourselves. Just because you think you haven't met him or her doesn't mean they're not out there, or here, as the case may be.
Happy hunting! :icon_thumleft:

As you so graciously explained, I may not be the smartest person in the room. But my thoughts are still valuable to this forum as a whole, and the silver culling is a theory worth pondering. You know the plastic-wrapped Brinks dime boxes? I've probably bought at least two dozen of them over the years, and I NEVER found a single silver dime. IT IS A CERTAINTY that they were culled. I get skunked on about 1/2 of my dime boxes from Loomis and S & S. Let's pretend that number was 7/8, to be really generous. 0.875^24 (4%) is the probability that I am skunked on all 24 of the boxes. If I was skunked on 1/2 of all boxes, the odds would be 0.5^24 that I would be skunked on all 24, or 1/16777216 times. It is beyond doubt that the Brinks people in my area sort out the silver dimes.

Happy hunting:icon_thumright:

markmopar

Feb 15, 2008
southern NJ/southeast VA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I averaged 2 dimes per Brinks box when I was doing them(the clear plastic sure made it easy). Wasn't worth doing it after the losses to the machines. It worked out that buying dimes from my local store was cheaper.

OP
OP
Ben Cartwright SASS

Ben Cartwright SASS

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett
Primary Interest:
Other
I am going to go by the bank that has sold me bags in the past and see if they have any bags in the vault.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread