Ben Cartwright SASS

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett
Primary Interest:
Other
Picked up two boxes today, from the bank where I saw silver in the coin counter.

Opened one before work, saw an ender! I don't see many of them. I opened that roll, not the others yet, and it was a 1967 and also there was a 1964 also!!!

so no skunk

the ender is the reverse eagle in the center

IMG_20180301_091258218_HDR.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Armor9

Nov 9, 2017
Lorain County, Ohio
Detector(s) used
AT Max, Makro pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Good box so far!

I'm 1/2 through my box and nada yet.

Here is a questions, do the silver halves weigh the same as non-silver halves?

OP
OP
Ben Cartwright SASS

Ben Cartwright SASS

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett
Primary Interest:
Other
No they are very slightly heavier for 40% and 12.5 grams for 90%

BUT I have seen clad halves all over the place for weights so I don't see how you could weigh a roll to tell

Styfflin

Jan 8, 2013
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Speaking of weighing coins, did you ever hear back regarding that much-heavier 40% that you sent in?

OP
OP
Ben Cartwright SASS

Ben Cartwright SASS

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett
Primary Interest:
Other
Yes they claimed it was a thick planchet, the specific gravity was 9.85 a 90% is 10.12 but the weight is 12.53 grams.

I am thinking of cracking it and getting a second opinion from PCGS

OP
OP
Ben Cartwright SASS

Ben Cartwright SASS

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett
Primary Interest:
Other
Finished 2nd box, MY VERY FIRST 2017 P!!!

1 40% 1968

BUT 51 NIFC and 2 of them I needed for my coin book.

Death&Taxes

Jan 2, 2017
Taxechusetts (It sucks)
Detector(s) used
The only two certainties in life are death and taxes.
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks for the info. I too am in the Metrowest, and placed several big orders from a bank that uses Loomis. Time for me to steal some of your silver XD.

OP
OP
Ben Cartwright SASS

Ben Cartwright SASS

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett
Primary Interest:
Other
These two boxes were my first from Loomis, my other banks are all Guarda.

Loomis has 3 different locations, Boylston, Waltham and Taunton. I am near Gillette Stadium. Banks in Needham use Boylston Loomis and Westwood Taunton, while Dedham can go either way. I found that out by talking to the Loomis office. Guarda is in Dedham and I think Needham.

I have heard so often that Loomis culls all silver out of the boxes, well this shows it is not true. I might be a nut but I got these two boxes from the bank where I saw the CC bag with silver in it 2 weeks ago, I think it came back

Death&Taxes

Jan 2, 2017
Taxechusetts (It sucks)
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
These two boxes were my first from Loomis, my other banks are all Guarda.

Loomis has 3 different locations, Boylston, Waltham and Taunton. I am near Gillette Stadium. Banks in Needham use Boylston Loomis and Westwood Taunton, while Dedham can go either way. I found that out by talking to the Loomis office. Guarda is in Dedham and I think Needham.

I have heard so often that Loomis culls all silver out of the boxes, well this shows it is not true. I might be a nut but I got these two boxes from the bank where I saw the CC bag with silver in it 2 weeks ago, I think it came back

You have to step back and think about it for a second. The Loomis people are clever. They know that if they cull the silver out of boxes, no hunters will ever bother to order coins, and that means no business for them. So what they do is they cull out most of the silver, and leave 1-2 40s in each box. I do not believe they process the coins by the box, but for every 1000 coins the wrap up, they mix in an average of one silver. This would explain why I often get skunks, and sometimes have boxes with 5-6 40s. They make plenty of money off of the banks, at least the smaller ones, for the special orders of half dollars. Even if the banks buy contracts that have no fixed rate per box, the banks do more business with Loomis and likely buy bigger contracts.

Death&Taxes

Jan 2, 2017
Taxechusetts (It sucks)
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
It's the aged and yet seldom-mentioned reality of 'treasure hunting." Who made more money? The average 49er or Levi Strauss?

Death&Taxes

Jan 2, 2017
Taxechusetts (It sucks)
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
The same goes with all those companies that sell the crazy expensive metal detectors. People buy them because they want a chance to find super valuable treasure. After hours of slogging about and playing in the dirt, they are content with finding one Mercury Dime. Grow the he11 up!

OP
OP
Ben Cartwright SASS

Ben Cartwright SASS

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett
Primary Interest:
Other
You have to step back and think about it for a second. The Loomis people are clever. They know that if they cull the silver out of boxes, no hunters will ever bother to order coins, and that means no business for them. So what they do is they cull out most of the silver, and leave 1-2 40s in each box. I do not believe they process the coins by the box, but for every 1000 coins the wrap up, they mix in an average of one silver. This would explain why I often get skunks, and sometimes have boxes with 5-6 40s. They make plenty of money off of the banks, at least the smaller ones, for the special orders of half dollars. Even if the banks buy contracts that have no fixed rate per box, the banks do more business with Loomis and likely buy bigger contracts.

Wow, I don't know where to start, also I don't want to be snarky, but...

First since just as many people CRH quarters but you hardly ever find a silver why wouldn't they mix in silver quarters? Get more people to order quarter boxes? I am hoping you are being sarcastic about that view.

First how do you explain two recent boxes last month that each had 18 90% and 34 and 42 40% respectively? and yesterdays Loomis that had 4 90's and 5 40's?

To the best of my knowledge the way silver gets in the stream is when people dump it in a coin machine. But that doesn't happen everyday so for the most part boxes are going to be silver-free with the occasional coin and the rare monster box. From what I have seen most couriers hate hauling coins, they prefer bills. Many banks don't even know they can order halves, they are used to dimes quarters etc.

I think Loomis, Guarda, Brinks, salting boxes with silver is on par with the Lockness Monster, big foot, 9/11 being done by the US government... It is interesting to talk about but is it real?

Death&Taxes

Jan 2, 2017
Taxechusetts (It sucks)
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Wow, I don't know where to start, also I don't want to be snarky, but...

First since just as many people CRH quarters but you hardly ever find a silver why wouldn't they mix in silver quarters? Get more people to order quarter boxes? I am hoping you are being sarcastic about that view.

First how do you explain two recent boxes last month that each had 18 90% and 34 and 42 40% respectively? and yesterdays Loomis that had 4 90's and 5 40's?

To the best of my knowledge the way silver gets in the stream is when people dump it in a coin machine. But that doesn't happen everyday so for the most part boxes are going to be silver-free with the occasional coin and the rare monster box. From what I have seen most couriers hate hauling coins, they prefer bills. Many banks don't even know they can order halves, they are used to dimes quarters etc.

I think Loomis, Guarda, Brinks, salting boxes with silver is on par with the Lockness Monster, big foot, 9/11 being done by the US government... It is interesting to talk about but is it real?

They obviously don't bother sorting out silver quarters since there is far less silver, and almost all quarters that are ordered go to businesses and non-collectors anyways, so there would be no point to cull Washingtons for the AG. The only people who order halves are collectors. I've never had any really good boxes with Loomis; always S&S or Brinks that gives me collection dumps. And also, I recently placed a full 10k order and got a total of 5 40s (from Loomis boxes). But now that I can see the figures you posted, and I know we prob. live within 20 miles of each other, I'm ordering the crap out of all the Loomis-using banks in centeral Msx Cty. It's on.

Death&Taxes

Jan 2, 2017
Taxechusetts (It sucks)
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
"I think Loomis, Guarda, Brinks, salting boxes with silver is on par with the Lockness Monster, big foot, 9/11 being done by the US government... It is interesting to talk about but is it real?"

I've got 100s of Ks behind me. I know this hobby better than anyone.

1235CE

May 23, 2006
The Beautiful Berkshires in Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
White's DFX
Yes they claimed it was a thick planchet, the specific gravity was 9.85 a 90% is 10.12 but the weight is 12.53 grams.

I am thinking of cracking it and getting a second opinion from PCGS

They claimed it was a think planchet?......and it says that on your slab? ......if not, how do you what they thought about it?......just curious.....

OP
OP
Ben Cartwright SASS

Ben Cartwright SASS

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett
Primary Interest:
Other
It doesn't say thick it says oversize planchet, also on the written report it gives the Specific Gravity and weight in grams and tells they feel it is a oversize.

OP
OP
Ben Cartwright SASS

Ben Cartwright SASS

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett
Primary Interest:
Other
I've got 100s of Ks behind me. I know this hobby better than anyone.

"K's" is that strike outs i.e. skunks? or hundreds of boxes?

I did CRHing from about 1999 to 2010 and found 4 90% Kennedy's and then in 2010 hit two CWR that were solid silver, all Walkers. Then tried some boxes but it was total skunks so dropped out until this past November. I hit several really good boxes, you can check my other posts to see how I did, they were all Garda until this week when I got my first two Loomis boxes. If they only put 1 40% in each box they messed up on my first box. Also if you got 10k of boxes shouldn't you have gotten 10 40% instead of 1 for all of them if they are putting one in each box, maybe you are missing them.

Oh BTW I was told by a couple banks that they pay a flat fee to the courier regardless of what they order (others pay by the box) and if that is true they don't make more money by delivering more boxes, just sayin

Last edited:

Styfflin

Jan 8, 2013
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It doesn't say thick it says oversize planchet, also on the written report it gives the Specific Gravity and weight in grams and tells they feel it is a oversize.

Isn't that a good ruling? What do you want PCGS to say that wasn't said by this company?

OP
OP
Ben Cartwright SASS

Ben Cartwright SASS

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett
Primary Interest:
Other
I was just thinking of acting on what my coin dealer told me. Exact same weight as a 90%, specific gravity at the very top edge of 40% and lower edge of 90%.

Probably is a thick 40% and my put it on Ebay as such

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread